RIP Windows Phone

That's not at all what happened, it was a VERY big deal at the time about how badly Google acted.

No, it was only a big deal because WP didn't support CalDAV or CardDAV, and MS dragged their heels about implementing it while trying to cry that Google were being mean. Windows 8.1 (desktop) removed Google Calendar support out of spite, rather than through any technical restriction.

Apple didn't complain, Apple just got on with it.

Theres also the whole YouTube app thing which is hilariously pathetic.

You mean where Google copy and pasted their file formats into their own OS?

Form a Business point of View, the reason Google arnt shifting over is, believe it or not, they don't want more people using Bing.

Last edited:
No, it was only a big deal because WP didn't support CalDAV or CardDAV, and MS dragged their heels about implementing it while trying to cry that Google were being mean.

Apple didn't complain, Apple just got on with it.

Theres also the whole YouTube app thing which is hilariously pathetic.

You mean where MS made the App that Google asked them to make in partnership with them, released it then Google came up saying it had to be made a certain way that Android doesn't even support?

People Hub - A Contacts app?
Offline Here Maps for anywhere - Available on Android and iOS
Here Drive - Available on Android and iOS
Here Transit - Available on Android and iOS
Metrotube. - Multiple Official and Unofficial YT apps on Android and iOS
GroupMe Chat - Available on Android and iOS
Prefer Edge Explorer - Not available elsewhere
No Flash requirements. - Neither does Android or iOS?
Full Cortana Integration. - Full Google Now Integration. Full Siri Integration.
Full USB on the go. - Available on Android. No idea about iOS?
Lumia Camera Pro , Refocus etc. - A billion Camera apps on Android and iOS
Live Tiles. - Widgets
Continuim. - Proper phone apps.

So... Nothing really then? Except Edge.

You mean where MS made the App that Google asked them to make in partnership with them, released it then Google came up saying it had to be made a certain way that Android doesn't even support?

You missed the bit before where Microsoft made an unofficial app, were forced to take it down, then made an official app but blocked any Google advertising through it, and were forced to take that down too.

You missed the bit before where Microsoft made an unofficial app, were forced to take it down, then made an official app but blocked any Google advertising through it, and were forced to take that down too.

Umm no, nice rewrite on what happened though, Google made it with them, when they made the second one with Ads ( lol, like why would you want that anyways?), Google came up with some stupid way they said it had to be made.
Making it impossible.

We asked what makes it the best, not what makes it the same.

Unless your hinging your entire support for Windows Phone on Edge?

All they way they work for me on the OS, how its all more seamless and integrated through the OS. The fluidity of it all, that makes working on it a lot nicer.

And why is Flash on the second top list of more downloaded then if its not required?

Last edited:
Umm no, nice rewrite on what happened though, Google made it with them, when they made the second one with Ads ( lol, like why would you want that anyways?), Google came up with some stupid way they said it had to be made.
Making it impossible.

Um, because its a freely delivered service that is subsidised by the advertising in it? Why would Google officially support a product that blocked their own revenue stream? :confused:

All they way they work for me on the OS, how its all more seamless and integrated through the OS. The fluidity of it all, that makes working on it a lot nicer.

And why is Flash on the second top list of more downloaded then if its not required?

Because you have the freedom to install an alternative browser that supports it (not that I know of any that do any more) and then install Flash and use it.

Its in no way required any more than any other optional app is. It is, however, available as an option should you chose to install it, a choice not afforded to our Windows Phone brothers, it would seem :p

You mean where Google copy and pasted their file formats into their own OS?

Form a Business point of View, the reason Google arnt shifting over is, believe it or not, they don't want more people using Bing.

I have no idea what the infringements were, I just know Microsoft went after OEMs who are essentially, Google's partners.

Microsoft aren't entirely innocent of questionable practices either, they were caught out copying Google results when Google engineers faked unique search strings to catch them out.

I'm not sure your criticism of Google over the YouTube app is warranted though. Microsoft made their own YouTube app that violated multiple areas of YouTube's terms of service so Google asked Microsoft to cease.

One of those areas is advertisement and Microsoft can't become compliant because Google won't let them use the ad API. They don't have to let them. It's not like Microsoft are innocent of freezing people out of their software either, they didn't make office compatible with ODF for seven years, despite ODF being an ISO standard.

Um, because its a freely delivered service that is subsidised by the advertising in it? Why would Google officially support a product that blocked their own revenue stream? :confused:

Because Google worked and gave MS the API to use then suddenly removed it.
Still seems odd they then go and give MS an impossible way to make the App, even though you couldn't do it an Android and iOS, weird huh?

Last edited:
I've no idea, I'm not an app developer.

All I know is that almost the whole suite of Google apps is available on iOS, a competitor mobile OS from a competitor company, yet no Google apps are available on Windows Phone, also a competitor OS from a competitor company.

Lay the blame where you like. I know where I'd be looking though.

Although, back to my original point, considering Windows Phone is 3% of the market, why the hell would Google even care? Its not like taking their apps to WP is going to get them anything worth worrying about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom