RIP Windows Phone

Its implantation knows no bounds, I'm not wasting my time on having to look for one that I would have no need for. Thiers no reason for me to.

So your defence of Windows Phone and rejection of iOS and Android comes from a stance of having not tried either of the alternatives?

At least I made the effort to stick with Windows Phone and iOS for 2 years each before I came to my opinions on them.

Not sure, pretty sure it would be, just like WP is not fully HTML5 compatible now, but Google wont give MS any official APis.

Just like SnapChat wont give anyone access to make any apps for WP.

SnapChat won't give access to any 3rd Party apps, not just WP. Understandably too, as they have done it on security grounds.

Bing is not, and never will be, a competitor to Google. Remember Live Search? And MSN Search? All failed.

Basically the same thing is happening to Windows Phone. It's actually a remarkably similar situation.

In its very nature, its a competitor.
One that's hooked up to every single Win10 device right now.

So your defence of Windows Phone and rejection of iOS and Android comes from a stance of having not tried either of the alternatives?

At least I made the effort to stick with Windows Phone and iOS for 2 years each before I came to my opinions on them.

No, I used Android for 3 years ( still do from time to time) use iOS all the time.

It's hardly a competitor, what is its marketshare?

I mean technically Windows Phone is a competitor but its hardly providing decent competition now is it.

Just like OSX and ChromeOS isn't then?

Google 69.24%
Bing 12.26%
Yahoo! 9.19%
Baidu 6.48%
AOL 1.11%
Ask 0.24%

All before Win10 was released ( last Sept)

I think your confusing being a competitor (i.e. making a similar thing), and actually being competitive.

Bing is a competitor to Google in what it does, but its never going to be able to realistically compete against Google, its too late and too crap.

Just doing some searching, and it seems the Flash API for YouTube was deprecated in January 2015, meaning calls must now use the IFrame API which serves HTML5 videos to the app/page.

So that must mean the iOS app is using the supported API and rendering HTML5? So when you say Google have forced Microsoft to build an "impossible" app, what you mean is they have forced them to build an app thats "impossible on a device that doesn't fully support HTML5". Thats quite different.

Still seems more odd theirs nothing but Android users in here showing their concern and opinions though.

The thread was started by someone who isn't a WP fan, to discuss the demise of the OS. If you came in here expecting a WP love in around a camp fire, you had the wrong idea :p

Just doing some searching, and it seems the Flash API for YouTube was deprecated in January 2015, meaning calls must now use the IFrame API which serves HTML5 videos to the app/page.

So that must mean the iOS app is using the supported API and rendering HTML5? So when you say Google have forced Microsoft to build an "impossible" app, what you mean is they have forced them to build an app thats "impossible on a device that doesn't fully support HTML5". Thats quite different.

Not at that time, HTML is still a work in progress and you can still use the older APIs on YouTube to have them work ( which most Devs are doing), hence you still get all the 3rd party support.
HTML5 is fully supported on WP.
Doesn't change the fact it was never asked of ANYONE else, even their own people/ Apps to make every App ground up for HTML5.

Last edited:
Why would Google ask their internal app development teams to adhere to their 3rd party app policies?

The point of having APIs and 3rd party access policies is to control and secure the access external developers have to your services. Theres no need to do the same to internal apps, they are already within your control.

They didn't did they? From what Mekrel posted it sounded more like Microsoft took the pee too much and Google just pulled their API access all together.

And as for why, again, see Mekrel's posts. Microsoft refused to play ball with their own app, and Google have no interest in developing one themselves.

They didn't did they? From what Mekrel posted it sounded more like Microsoft took the pee too much and Google just pulled their API access all together.

And as for why, again, see Mekrel's posts. Microsoft refused to play ball with their own app, and Google have no interest in developing one themselves.

They did, three times they did.
Even with Google working on it with them.

They did, three times they did.
Even with Google working on it with them.

From decyphering the conflicting views, what I can tell is:

Microsoft released an unofficial app, it was blocked.
Microsoft released a co-developed 'official' app but with no adverts, it was blocked.
Microsoft released an updated co-developed app with adverts but without Googles approval, Google pulled their API access.
Google allowed them limited API access to an API they know Windows Phone doesn't support.

Is that correct?

Last edited:
The first one was co developed, even announced at the time it was coming.
It was blocked for not having Ads.
MS fixed that, Google said it still wasn't right.
Ms worked again on it ( never released but hey had a final build), Google said it still wasn't good enough and had to be made in HTML5, that no one was using at the time.
People through a phit, asked Google why they where asking that of MS when iOS and the officla Android App wasn't using HTML5.
Google said to was to maintain high quality ( the app I had a while was a carbon copy of what iOS had.
Since then Google hasn't done anything to work or allow MS to have any access to any APIs regarding YouTube.

Last edited:
I think prior to all your points there was a solely Microsoft developed app, but that was way back, and isn't really part of the API shenanigans.

So in summary, Microsoft twice went against Googles requests/requirements, and in return have been effectively blocked from making a YouTube app. Seems perfectly fair to me? Twice is one more chance than most 3rd party app developers would get.

Back
Top Bottom