RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
Also, by me pointing out your mistake, it always seems to be the diversion that the person, is going on the offensive, by being overly defensive.
Stop using that.

No, you didn't though. You basically tried to say I couldn't read. That's not pointing out an error, that's being aggressive edging perhaps on abusive, which, as I said, seems to be a trait of WP fans. You backed my own argument.

Soldato
Annnd there we are with out putting the conversation into any context.
When I was asked and put to me directly, about how much I'm missing out on the top 10 apps on the Play store (which is still laughable to me as its junk), so yes, to me, I did laugh.

No, I looked at your post. You laughed at the apps and Google Play store. If you can't be bothered to quote a post you might be directly replying to, I don't know why you think I would go looking for it? I'm really not that bothered by all this, the WP fans are the ones that get all touchy. (You see, no I wont stop saying it if you keep backing it up)

Soldato
What baffled me, and still does having now been given a Lumia for work purposes, it's what the appeal is.

It does nothing Android or iOS can't do, the things that it does the same it doesn't do any better and there is plenty it seemingly can't do that the others can, to the point work will be dropping them as they simply can't keep up in the business environment.

I'm left wondering why anyone would buy one and the only answer I can come back to is - they're cheap. You're not going to get traction in smartphones from being cheap.

Soldato
No, I looked at your post. You laughed at the apps and Google Play store. If you can't be bothered to quote a post you might be directly replying to, I don't know why you think I would go looking for it? I'm really not that bothered by all this, the WP fans are the ones that get all touchy. (You see, no I wont stop saying it if you keep backing it up)

So again, you didn't read at all what I said or what came before it.

Soldato
No, you didn't though. You basically tried to say I couldn't read. That's not pointing out an error, that's being aggressive edging perhaps on abusive, which, as I said, seems to be a trait of WP fans. You backed my own argument.

No, because you didn't read it, or comprehend what I said. You where wrong.
That's not being aggressive, that's correcting you on what you "want" me to be saying.

Caporegime
Annnd there we are with out putting the conversation into any context.
When I was asked and put to me directly, about how much I'm missing out on the top 10 apps on the Play store (which is still laughable to me as its junk), so yes, to me, I did laugh.

I never said the top 10 apps on the Play Store. I said the most installed apps.

Soldato

And actually,this argument isn't even about WP or the OS, this is about you taking anythgin I said completely out of context, so its not about "being touchy" or overly defending WP at all.

Caporegime
Rightly so, but IM not sure, those are the top of the "charts" so to speak on their own store?

Which are all promoted apps or whatever is trending recently.

The most installed apps list is very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_downloaded_Android_applications

Obviously Googles own apps take most of the top spots, but ignoring those, theres still some gaping holes in there.

Actually, no, don't ignore the Google apps, because a lot of those are available on iOS too, so its perfectly valid to expect Windows to have them

Caporegime
Is there anywhere that I can just search the Windows Phone app store, like you can with Google Play? I can only seem to find Microsoft Store pages where they list apps, and then the search applies to the whole Microsoft site?

Soldato
The lack of Google apps is more to do with competition in other areas than it is about phone OS or market share.

iOS has Google Apps, but apple don't have a competing search engine, mail service, or office suite. Goole have made it very easy to be almost locked in to their services, and so eliminating Windows phone as an option for many.

Soldato
Just upgraded my 640XL to Windows 10, smooth and trouble-free. And it raises the bar again on what was already the best OS, in my opinion.... I played with Windows 10 on a Lumia 550 previously, and was impressed. Having Windows 10 on the desktop, there is an immediate familiarity with using Windows 10 mobile. The bigger screen on the 640XL really showcases it too. Windows Phone 8.1 was already fresh, modern and innovative, and with Windows 10 mobile now, iOS just looks old and tired. I do like Android as well, very different from Windows, but at the end of the day Windows is the one that I really enjoy. (and no I don't work for Microsoft or have any affiliation with them)

Soldato
And it raises the bar again on what was already the best OS, in my opinion....

I'd be interested to hear more specifics on why you think this? My experience of 8.1 is that it's limited, achieves no functionality I don't have on my Android phone and certainly doesn't do them better.

It works and it's not slow but then I'd expect nothing less from an OS that is barely doing anything as far as I can tell.

What is it for you that makes it the best?

Soldato
Which are all promoted apps or whatever is trending recently.

The most installed apps list is very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_downloaded_Android_applications

Obviously Googles own apps take most of the top spots, but ignoring those, theres still some gaping holes in there.

Actually, no, don't ignore the Google apps, because a lot of those are available on iOS too, so its perfectly valid to expect Windows to have them

Yet Google block every attempt by MS to bring their service over and integrate them, remember when Google wouldn't allow access to their Calander service for those on WP...whys that then?

And I don't use a single Google service.

Soldato
I'd be interested to hear more specifics on why you think this? My experience of 8.1 is that it's limited, achieves no functionality I don't have on my Android phone and certainly doesn't do them better.

It works and it's not slow but then I'd expect nothing less from an OS that is barely doing anything as far as I can tell.

What is it for you that makes it the best?

People Hub
Offline Here Maps for anywhere
Here Drive
Here Transit
Metrotube.
GroupMe Chat
Prefer Edge Explorer
No Flash requirements.
Full Cortana Integration.
Full USB on the go.
Lumia Camera Pro , Refocus etc.
Live Tiles.
Continuim.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yet Google block every attempt by MS to bring their service over and integrate them, remember when Google wouldn't allow access to their Calander service for those on WP...whys that then?

And I don't use a single Google service.

From a business point of view, I can't blame them.

Microsoft have been claiming patent infringement against majority of Android OEMs. I think it's reported they make $5 from most Android handset sales and probably why Microsoft products come pre-installed on Samsung devices now (in return for reduced license fee).

You then have the Scroogled campaign that Microsoft ran....

Back
Top Bottom