RIP Windows Phone

Caporegime
It's hillarous that if you are looking for a single, controlled, consistent locked down OS experience on managed hardware that you would then chose Windows Phone over iOS?

Soldato
Nope. I used Windows Phone for 2 years (8 and 8.1) doing little more than phone calls, messages, email and calendar, and it was woefully poor at even the basic tasks.

i have a 950xl and tbh it's a really nice phone and the w10 os, i found the messages look/feel similar to android, phone calls not had a issue with, email i haven't used yet, the calendar does look different thb and for the calendar i prefer android.

it's just 2 apps i miss, steam and subway, but i have my s5 for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's hillarous that if you are looking for a single, controlled, consistent locked down OS experience on managed hardware that you would then chose Windows Phone over iOS?

No, I don't like static Icons that tell me nothing from a glance at my screen.
It's more hilarious that again you seem to think that anyone should be allowed to have the choice.

Caporegime
i have a 950xl and tbh it's a really nice phone and the w10 os, i found the messages look/feel similar to android, phone calls not had a issue with, email i haven't used yet, the calendar do look different thb and for the calendar i prefer android.

it's just 2 apps i miss, steam and subway, but i have my s5 for them.

8.1 made massive leaps forward from 8, but it was too little too late for me. I'd hope 10 made equally large steps.

But the pace is just far too slow to keep up with iOS and Android.

Caporegime
No, I don't like static Icons that tell me nothing from a glance at my screen.
It's more hilarious that again you seem to think that anyone should be allowed to have the choice.

Choice is fine. My stance is just that Windows Phone is the worst choice no matter what criteria you use.

Soldato
Choice is fine. My stance is just that Windows Phone is the worst choice no matter what criteria you use.

tbh if everybody was the same it'll be a boring place. yes you don't like/hate WP, some other people do like it, nothing wrong/bad in it.

same goes with everything else in life

tbh this happens a lot here and we get threads with over 40+ pages just with arguing. it is sad to see really, hence why i haven't been around here much lately

Last edited:
Soldato

Great, just like mine is that Ill personally will never be using an Android device, again, no matter what icon set they put on it.

That doesn't mean Ill be going into Android based threads saying no one should ever use it.

Soldato
people/articles have been saying Windows Phone is dead for years but yet MS as/is still bring os's out for mobiles and bring new mobiles out, and apps get added very slowly.

if Windows Phone is dead then MS wouldn't bring any more OS's out for mobile, wouldn't bring out new mobiles

Last edited:
Soldato
It is quite funny how defensive Windows phone fans get if anything negative is said about it. I reviewed two Windows devices (stating I'm an Android fan, my channel name gives it away a little too) and even though they were generally quite positive, it was amazing any little thing I said 'I don't like this too much' they would be all over abusing me.

Cu3ed, saying Windows phone isn't missing out on the apps Android has is pretty silly. Okay, you don't miss them, fine. Surely this thread isn't about does anyone still like WP and you have to prove you're fine?

I've recommended someone buy a WP in the past. They didn't have any real app needs and wanted a low end device. Sure, why not. That doesn't mean it's a good OS. App situation aside, I don't like the look of it for starters, the theme, and there's pretty much nothing I can do about it.

That's another comment I've seen from time to time. 'I'm fed up with the look of Android so I'm going to WP'. What?! Where there's no flexibility in how it looks?

'Live tiles are great'. Okay, but not quite as good as widgets.

'The camera on my WP is amazing'. Okay, but I wouldn't say it was as good as an LG G4 or Note 5.

'Nokia make amazing hardware'. Honestly, I don't believe they're as good as Samsung.

I could probably go on, but I can't be bothered.

Yes, it's good for some, that doesn't mean it's good.

Android came from nothing against iOS, I'm not convinced it's the 'head start' that Android and iOS had that is causing WP to fail. It's just not as good an OS.

Soldato
I didn't say WP wasn't hurting from lack of Apps, I said it has no effect on me.

Is basic reading comprehension that hard to understand?
And yes, I much prefer the looks of the start screen than anything Android has shown me.

Soldato
The OS is excellent, I had a 930 until it had a disagreement with a full sink of water.

It's a middle ground, between the openness of Android, and the lockeddownness (sorry if the technical terms are a bit much :D) of iOS. iOS is just a bunch of icons, Android is supercustom widgets, Windows is has, basically, informative icons, none of them are perfect for everybody but that's the whole point of having a choice.

Soldato
I didn't say WP wasn't hurting from lack of Apps, I said it has no effect on me.

Is basic reading comprehension that hard to understand?

Wow. See, this is what I mean :p

To be fair, I didn't notice anyone say it would effect you? You came on the offensive, as is the way of WP fans for some reason. (On the offensive, but being defensive)

Last edited:
Soldato
And actually, you were quite literally (if you're text is to be taken literally) laughing at a selection of Android Apps and the Google Play store, regardless of your comment about yourself. So I stand by my 'basic reading comprehension' and what your post was to mean. This thread isn't about you after all.

Soldato
No, you said me saying that WP not having any apps being a problem is not true.
What I actually said was that it is something that has never affected me.

Also, by me pointing out your mistake, it always seems to be the diversion that the person, is going on the offensive, by being overly defensive.
Stop using that.

And its an utterly stupid notion that you can say that, when so many here are having a go at people for having the choice of liking to use WP and preferring how it works over Android. If anything, isn't it very very strange that so ma y Android users feel they have to weigh in on something that has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Soldato
And actually, you were quite literally (if you're text is to be taken literally) laughing at a selection of Android Apps and the Google Play store, regardless of your comment about yourself. So I stand by my 'basic reading comprehension' and what your post was to mean. This thread isn't about you after all.

Annnd there we are with out putting the conversation into any context.
When I was asked and put to me directly, about how much I'm missing out on the top 10 apps on the Play store (which is still laughable to me as its junk), so yes, to me, I did laugh.

Associate
people/articles have been saying Windows Phone is dead for years but yet MS as/is still bring os's out for mobiles and bring new mobiles out, and apps get added very slowly.

if Windows Phone is dead then MS wouldn't bring any more OS's out for mobile, wouldn't bring out new mobiles

The trouble is the market share isn't there to be able to say it's a healthy and viable alternative to Android or iOS for app developers and phone manufacturers, which hurts the consumer, and this has been the case for several year now, so it doesn't look like the situation is changing any time soon.

3%. Just think about that. Even if we were generous and said the market share was 5%, that's frankly absolutely pathetic for a company as huge as Microsoft. There is no excuse. iOS came first in 2007. Android came roughly a year after. If Google could get a competitor to iOS released within a year, why couldn't MS? Instead it was 2 years in 2010 when they first introduced Windows Phone, and rather than look at what their competitors had done and try to introduce additional features over the years, they're just perpetually dragging their feet. I mean it took them 2 years after Android to add a notification shade. Live tiles? Come on now, widgets and unread counts on app icons have been a part of Android forever and can do the same function of giving you info at a glance.

Back
Top Bottom