• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RMA Offering of B-Grade cards seems wrong

Soldato
It is? When did this happen? Their CS was just as good as anyone else back in the day. Fast forward to 2024 and they are not even close.
I thought it was generally accepted that ocuk had better cs than the likes **** DO NOT HINT AT COMPETITOR NAMES **** and **** DO NOT HINT AT COMPETITOR NAMES ****etc in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Sounds like the ethos of the B-grade system is being extended to warranty support - a terrible initial offer to catch people who are either unwilling or unable to haggle or who don't realise how bad the offer is, then haggling required to get a reasonable offer.

Not an appealing course of action for a business to take, but I guess it's more profitable. At least in the short term.
Short term gain, long term pain. Probably put several people off buying new GPUs from OCUK already.

Soldato
Short term gain, long term pain. Probably put several people off buying new GPUs from OCUK already.

Not just for GPU's.

Of course this outcome matters very much.
It is the reassurance and confidence that I need when the retailer I choose to buy my hardware from is not going to be the biggest challenge to sort things out, if and when things go wrong.
It is not just about the purchase price, it is about the accessibility, support and being seen "to do the right thing" that guides me to where I spend my money.
And it is not rocket science or that difficult to get that right, for some retailers.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Someone from OcUK will be along soon to confirm but I've checked with them and cards replaced like this have a full warranty, not just 90 days.

When I used to manage the returns/support department at OCUK the warranty of any replaced cards always ran from the original date of purchase, B grade or not!

Feek and I have alerted the returns team to jump onto the thread and have a look for you :)

Cheers

Bailey

OcUK Staff
Hi Guys,

I just thought I'd drop on here, to clear this up officially.

The TLDR version; We use B-grade items from stock, rather than waiting for one from the manufacturer (much faster in most instances), original warranty is not effected by the replacement we send.

Long version for those that like to read;

When an item is returned to us and its over 6 months old, we aim to replace it with the same product but one from B-Stock, As the original item had been used for that amount of time or longer we are therefore replacing the item with another that has been used. This doesn't effect the warranty peroid on the graphics card in anyway, this will run from the original purchase date.

When we don't have an identical model available, we will then offer an alternative make or model that provides like for like performance or better. The warranty peroid is still unaffected and will run from the original purchase date.

I'd also like to point out that this policy is now in effect as soon as possible after we have confirmed the fault with the item, we originally would return the card to the manufacturer and allow upto 28days for them to resolve the claim, which may have ended up in a warranty replacement (the same as a B-Grade item) after that period, or potentially a diminished value refund. We felt that the best way for us to proceed would to issue replacements sooner, rather than making our customers wait, so this is why this is being done.

It's only when we sell B-Grade items as a stand alone product that we restrict the warranty that we support, its also worth mentioning that its a 90day warranty with us, if the manufacturer provides direct end user RMA, then this remains unaffected.

Soldato
A lot of daft responses here saying the OP is entitled to a brand new card, no they aren't necessarily. The warranty terms may vary and could state they are entitled to a like for like replacement where possible and that the replacement may be a refurbished item. You are not automatically entitled to a brand new replacement, just a like for like under any warranty. It is just sometimes easier to replace with new stock but why would any rational person assume or demand they are entitled to a brand new replacement for their potentially very used item?

Under UK consumer law it is perfectly legal and acceptable to offer a like for like (ie. used replacement). Read the warranty terms.

Last edited:
Soldato
I myself would not accept a different model from B-grade or whatever. We choose our particular models for a reason and would much rather wait for a manufacturer replacement, rather that have a card with a shadowy history. **** that. I have bought many B-grade stuff in my lifetime and would only continue doing so for cheap products. After a measly 6 months and you have to have a used scratched model? No thanks.

Soldato
Your original contract should still stand, you didn't buy a B grade, so if anything happens to the B grade then the original contract is still in play with the full warranty terms. Manufacturers often send out refurbished cards as RMA replacements but again this doesn't affect your original warranty terms, the replacement is still covered by the original contract. I would ask for confirmation before accepting but that would be the legal position.

Soldato
I myself would not accept a different model from B-grade or whatever. We choose our particular models for a reason and would much rather wait for a manufacturer replacement, rather that have a card with a shadowy history. **** that. I have bought many B-grade stuff in my lifetime and would only continue doing so for cheap products. After a measly 6 months and you have to have a used scratched model? No thanks.

The OP was offered a choice of B-Grade like for like and another option is to wait RMA direct to the manufacturer. So if you want a specific model you go with a manufacturer RMA, but even that does not entitle you to an automatic brand new replacement.

I have had MSI and Gigabyte GPU RMAs, where I was offered some alternative. It's how warranty replacements work and you are not entitled to a bran new replacement for YOUR used item.

Soldato
The OP was offered a choice of B-Grade like for like and another option is to wait RMA direct to the manufacturer. So if you want a specific model you go with a manufacturer RMA, but even that does not entitle you to an automatic brand new replacement.

I have had MSI and Gigabyte GPU RMAs, where I was offered some alternative. It's how warranty replacements work and you are not entitled to a bran new replacement for YOUR used item.
Please show me where I said brand new.

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

I just thought I'd drop on here, to clear this up officially.

The TLDR version; We use B-grade items from stock, rather than waiting for one from the manufacturer (much faster in most instances), original warranty is not effected by the replacement we send.

Long version for those that like to read;

When an item is returned to us and its over 6 months old, we aim to replace it with the same product but one from B-Stock, As the original item had been used for that amount of time or longer we are therefore replacing the item with another that has been used. This doesn't effect the warranty peroid on the graphics card in anyway, this will run from the original purchase date.

When we don't have an identical model available, we will then offer an alternative make or model that provides like for like performance or better. The warranty peroid is still unaffected and will run from the original purchase date.

I'd also like to point out that this policy is now in effect as soon as possible after we have confirmed the fault with the item, we originally would return the card to the manufacturer and allow upto 28days for them to resolve the claim, which may have ended up in a warranty replacement (the same as a B-Grade item) after that period, or potentially a diminished value refund. We felt that the best way for us to proceed would to issue replacements sooner, rather than making our customers wait, so this is why this is being done.

It's only when we sell B-Grade items as a stand alone product that we restrict the warranty that we support, its also worth mentioning that its a 90day warranty with us, if the manufacturer provides direct end user RMA, then this remains unaffected.

Thanks, this is useful.

1. In this case I have been offered a couple of alternate vendor cards. Who would the warranty be with? If I choose the Asus card, would I have my remaining 1-year warranty, but with Asus themselves instead of KFA2? How is this contractually enforced?
  2. What guarantees can you give me about the provenance of the B-grade stock I receive? As I understand it, there's no way to determine that the card I receive has not been thrashed for a year Bitcoin mining before being reconditioned.
  3. Do I retain the option to wait for KFA2 to do the upstream RMA? This wasn't mentioned in the email I received.
Thanks

Soldato
Please show me where I said brand new.

Please show me where I said you didn't? I was simply clarifying the actual facts on warranty replacements.

Though this does seem to imply you would expect a new replacement.

After a measly 6 months and you have to have a used scratched model? No thanks.

Last edited:
Suspended
Thanks, this is useful.

1. In this case I have been offered a couple of alternate vendor cards. Who would the warranty be with? If I choose the Asus card, would I have my remaining 1-year warranty, but with Asus themselves instead of KFA2? How is this contractually enforced?
  2. What guarantees can you give me about the provenance of the B-grade stock I receive? As I understand it, there's no way to determine that the card I receive has not been thrashed for a year Bitcoin mining before being reconditioned.
  3. Do I retain the option to wait for KFA2 to do the upstream RMA? This wasn't mentioned in the email I received.
Thanks
Why don't you reply to the Ocuk returns email asking them these questions?

I've just went through a returns process with OcUk and these questions would be answered if asked.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, this is useful.

You should be replying to the original email for the sake of having a paper trail. Though not sure why point 2 is remotely pertinent, the replacement GPU will have a warranty period shoud it develop a fault. By the same token what guarantees do you have that your GPU has not been thrased for mining and that's why it failed?

If your 4090 is eventually refurbished, what guarantees does the person who ends up with it have that you didn't abuse it? It doesn't work like that and never has with warranty replacements. You get like for like (which in many cases means refurbished) and the remainder of your warranty period is honoured.

Your USED 4090 is replaced like for like and the replacement is gauranteed to be in good working order and in a reasonable condition. No more and no less.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, this is useful.

Thanks

If OCUK was just being nice, by providing a 'faster' option instead of waiting for an RMA, then the OP wouldn't have these questions. The email they sent would be easy to understand and present the options in a consumer friendly way.

The number of DOA and obviously faulty cards makes me cynical on the provenance of the B-Grade GPUs and I personally would always wait for the manufacturer or take the cash option.

OcUK Staff
Thanks, this is useful.

Thanks
1. The warranty remaining would be with Asus as they're the manufacturer, but we would still be the people to facilitate the RMA for you, as we're the company you have the contract of sale with.
2. There isn't a way to guarantee the prior use of any B-grade item, if its come from our stock or a manufacturer, the point is if you have any further problems, you still have the remainder of the warranty.
3. You may wait, but the outcome is very unlikely to change, as we don't enforce our customers to wait for replacements, our internal processing of items back to our suppliers has also changed, meaning when we have to send items back to repair centres, we can consolidate the shipments, this however takes longer for us to do, how long exactly varies. So generally we make the offers of the B-grade items as its the best option available.

Soldato
If OCUK was just being nice, by providing a 'faster' option instead of waiting for an RMA, then the OP wouldn't have these questions. The email they sent would be easy to understand and present the options in a consumer friendly way.

The number of DOA and obviously faulty cards makes me cynical on the provenance of the B-Grade GPUs and I personally would always wait for the manufacturer or take the cash option.

Which is why the OP should be engaging directly via email replies.

Man of Honour
I thought it was generally accepted that ocuk had better cs than the likes **** DO NOT HINT AT COMPETITOR NAMES ****
**** DO NOT HINT AT COMPETITOR NAMES **** CS is pretty decent these days, but that's my experience so n=1 and YMMV

I bought a manufacturer-refurb GPU off MM here and it broke, **** DO NOT HINT AT COMPETITOR NAMES **** dealt with me as if I was the original buyer and sent me a NEW GPU that was better than the one I had free-of-charge
(FWIW it was a refurb zotac base 3060ti that broke, they sent back an asus 3060ti OC)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom