Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
52 miles this morning. We hauled ass for the first half of it because we had an absolute beast leading us out - FAO Damien, it was Nathan from last week. He must be about 6'6" and his calves look about the size of my thighs. He used to play rugby for some team in Salford, apparently. I'd need a ladder to get on his bike. Anyway, he was pushing it on the front so we got a good speed up, but it was hard work. On the return leg we had the wind against us and I was knackered so it was a bit of an ordeal!

Soldato
Got another 100km in this morning, woke up much earlier than planned so was out on the road by 8.15! Much colder than it looked especially when the wind was in my face, noticed some big improvements though, done a similar route about 3 weeks ago, 3100ft of climbing, 15.4 mph average, today nailed 4000ft of climbing and got round with 16.1mph average with only 8 minutes of stops for a comfort break.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50933501

Nice to see the benefits in numbers.

Soldato
Got another 100km in this morning, woke up much earlier than planned so was out on the road by 8.15! Much colder than it looked especially when the wind was in my face, noticed some big improvements though, done a similar route about 3 weeks ago, 3100ft of climbing, 15.4 mph average, today nailed 4000ft of climbing and got round with 16.1mph average with only 8 minutes of stops for a comfort break.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50933501

Nice to see the benefits in numbers.

Niceone Solid! It'll do you well to remember good rides and progress like that, as its not always so tangible.

Associate
52 miles this morning. We hauled ass for the first half of it because we had an absolute beast leading us out - FAO Damien, it was Nathan from last week. He must be about 6'6" and his calves look about the size of my thighs. He used to play rugby for some team in Salford, apparently. I'd need a ladder to get on his bike. Anyway, he was pushing it on the front so we got a good speed up, but it was hard work. On the return leg we had the wind against us and I was knackered so it was a bit of an ordeal!

Sounds like a nice ride. Hopefully he comes on a few more and we can get a good group speed going. Was his brother there this time? Nathan was saying he's not rode for a while.

Soldato
Got the tools today to take the bb out. Seemed to come out pretty easy, inspected everything and all looked fine, re-installed it with plenty of grease and the creaking has completely disappeared. Nice and easy fix! :D

I need to sort out my bb do I need a torque wrench for putting the cranks back on?

Caporegime
[Damien];24189775 said:
Sounds like a nice ride. Hopefully he comes on a few more and we can get a good group speed going. Was his brother there this time? Nathan was saying he's not rode for a while.

Luke? Yeah, he was with us. I can't remember if you've met him before. He'd had to borrow a bike as his is having a bunch of stuff replaced after he had an off.

Soldato
65ish kilometres today - would have been more had our ascent of the Cat and Fiddle not been curtailed by the utterly horrific conditions on top. Gale force winds and hail was not a pleasant combination so we turned back to Macclesfield and went home! I felt strong on the climb though and think I would have put in a good time had I been able to finish it off.

My bike has been fettled within an inch of its life recently with a new headset, cables and bar tape along with a general tuneup. Running so smoothly, makes riding much more enjoyable. :) Does need a new chain though!

Soldato
Decided to go for an On One Pompino for my n+1. I plan to use it as my go to bike and for commuting to help keep the miles off my other bikes :)

What's the general consensus on pedals for a fixie? I have spare shimano road and mtb SPDs with shoes to go with, or do people use flat pedals? The commute is 20miles each way and I need to change in to work shoes when I get there

Associate
65ish kilometres today - would have been more had our ascent of the Cat and Fiddle not been curtailed by the utterly horrific conditions on top.

Is Cat and Fiddle a tough climb? I was told its a 'wall of tarmac' but Strava shows it as a lengthy 2.8 miles averaging 4.8%. Fair bit longer than Box Hill which im used to. Must try this one out next time Im round that way.

Soldato
Is Cat and Fiddle a tough climb? I was told its a 'wall of tarmac' but Strava shows it as a lengthy 2.8 miles averaging 4.8%. Fair bit longer than Box Hill which im used to. Must try this one out next time Im round that way.

It's not especially tough no, it's more Alpine (i.e. long and gradual) than most UK climbs. The reason the avg gradient is lower is because there a couple of flat sections - most of the climbing sections are between 6 and 9%. The descent from the pub to Buxton is great fun too.

Soldato
Finished my first metric century: 73 miles or 118km http://app.strava.com/activities/50961913

Lovely day to cycle from Glasgow to Perth. Wind wasn't too strong and the sun was out for most of the day. The front derailleur didn't enjoy shifting up and the chain fell off twice in the first 15 miles, but a bit of adjusting and all was well. The rest of the ride went really smoothly and, bar a little bit of tightening up around 60 miles, I handled the distance better than I expected too. Pleased with the 16.7 average speed too! Oh and Morrison's value malt loaf has to be the best value for money fuel around at 29p!

Last edited:
Soldato
I went for fixed only :)

Ha, I can see that happening regularly for the first week or so!

What would you go for, SPD or SPD-SL?

If you are going fixed then go for SPDs or Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Remember that you can't coast to click in, you've got to do it whilst the cranks are turning. Having double or quad sided makes this much, much easier.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24190972 said:
If you are going fixed then go for SPDs or Crank Bros Eggbeaters. Remember that you can't coast to click in, you've got to do it whilst the cranks are turning. Having double or quad sided makes this much, much easier.

I hadn't thought of that :cool: I have some shimano spds to start with but I do like the look of those eggbeaters, they look even better suited to fixed with there being four sides to click in to, they're light too.

Is there a model of eggbeaters which is regarded as best? I've read a few bits about the roller bearings on the newest (3?) model falling apart? Apparently the mk2 have a bush rather than bearings? Possibly less likely to 'fail' but less serviceable?

Soldato
luck is on my side today! NOT.

tried to remove my chainring with crank removal tool as you're supposed too.. bang the thread pooped out of the crank and thats it :| its STUCK with no way out not even heavy arse hammering helps..

on to the bottom bracket then.. plastic cups seems to be the GO these days! except that mine were so badly stuck that ALL The teeth broke and literally came out with the tool.. ffs i can't get the out either now :|

LOVELY.

any advice.?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom