Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Niceone Solid! It'll do you well to remember good rides and progress like that, as its not always so tangible.

Thanks, totally agree, it is nice to see the early gains though, got another 40 planned with friends tomorrow, might chuck some more on the end depending on how I feel.

on to the bottom bracket then.. plastic cups seems to be the GO these days! except that mine were so badly stuck that ALL The teeth broke and literally came out with the tool.. ffs i can't get the out either now :|

LOVELY.

any advice.?!

Ouch, not sure what I'm reading here, but if you're saying that the tool has munched the external socket, I had similar and used a pipe wrench (a very big one) to remove my old bb. However if I'm not reading this right this advice is useless!

Soldato
I hadn't thought of that :cool: I have some shimano spds to start with but I do like the look of those eggbeaters, they look even better suited to fixed with there being four sides to click in to, they're light too.

Is there a model of eggbeaters which is regarded as best? I've read a few bits about the roller bearings on the newest (3?) model falling apart? Apparently the mk2 have a bush rather than bearings? Possibly less likely to 'fail' but less serviceable?

Yeah, pedalling one footed up a hill away from the lights whilst trying clip in isn't great, but it certainly builds the hip flexors.

No idea on which version I'm afraid.

Soldato
Thanks, totally agree, it is nice to see the early gains though, got another 40 planned with friends tomorrow, might chuck some more on the end depending on how I feel.

Ouch, not sure what I'm reading here, but if you're saying that the tool has munched the external socket, I had similar and used a pipe wrench (a very big one) to remove my old bb. However if I'm not reading this right this advice is useless!

pipe wrench won't help in this case :(

I dont understand what you're doing? Are you trying to take the chainring off the crank or take the whole crankarm off?

Can you get a few pictures of how far you got?

what im trying to do is remove my old bb, install new one and replace the whole chainset with cranks.

i took the non drive side crank off no problems with the removal tool and moved on to the drive side.

crank removal tool screws inside the crank and then removes the arm with the chain rings and i have a bb with full access, but that didn't help so i thought ill just try my new bb removal tool and bang it went in all cool except that on the first turn it broke all the plastic teeth and left me with NOTHING i can actually see the damn bearings now...

i did research and i did turn it in the correct direction..

i can't think of a way to remove the drive side crank arm with chain rings or bb now..

unless i use a gear puller to hopefully get the crank arm off and then ill have access to drive side of the bb with OK plastic cup and this hopefully unscrews properly this time and i can just rip the other side off.. if not im stuffed in every possible way :(

Soldato
pipe wrench won't help in this case :(

what im trying to do is remove my old bb, install new one and replace the whole chainset with cranks.

i took the non drive side crank off no problems with the removal tool and moved on to the drive side.

crank removal tool screws inside the crank and then removes the arm with the chain rings and i have a bb with full access, but that didn't help so i thought ill just try my new bb removal tool and bang it went in all cool except that on the first turn it broke all the plastic teeth and left me with NOTHING i can actually see the damn bearings now...

i did research and i did turn it in the correct direction..

i can't think of a way to remove the drive side crank arm with chain rings or bb now..

unless i use a gear puller to hopefully get the crank arm off and then ill have access to drive side of the bb with OK plastic cup and this hopefully unscrews properly this time and i can just rip the other side off.. if not im stuffed in every possible way :(

++

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ge...lp-broken-bottom-bracket-lock-ring-image1.jpg
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/ge...lp-broken-bottom-bracket-lock-ring-image2.jpg

pretty much the same problem! except that i have no access to drive side :mad:

Soldato
luck is on my side today! NOT.

tried to remove my chainring with crank removal tool as you're supposed too.. bang the thread pooped out of the crank and thats it :| its STUCK with no way out not even heavy arse hammering helps..

on to the bottom bracket then.. plastic cups seems to be the GO these days! except that mine were so badly stuck that ALL The teeth broke and literally came out with the tool.. ffs i can't get the out either now :|

LOVELY.

any advice.?!

edit.

Last edited:
Soldato

Can I just clarify, has the crank puller tool stripped the threads where the drive side bolt screws into the bottom bracket? If it has then you might as well take a bigger hammer to the crank to remove it because you'll have to bin it anyway once you get it off.

Plastic cups on the non-drive side are fairly standard, the drive side cup will be metal. If you can get the drive side crank off then you'll be able to hammer out the remains of the plastic NDS cup fairly easily.

Soldato
Hammer the chainset off and take out the bb. Bold the tool to the bb so it cant come loose and will apply force properly.

Once that's out then I've just hacksawed 4 slots and broke it up to get it out.

Make sure the tool is as far into the crank as possibly.

Soldato
Can I just clarify, has the crank puller tool stripped the threads where the drive side bolt screws into the bottom bracket? If it has then you might as well take a bigger hammer to the crank to remove it because you'll have to bin it anyway once you get it off.

Plastic cups on the non-drive side are fairly standard, the drive side cup will be metal. If you can get the drive side crank off then you'll be able to hammer out the remains of the plastic NDS cup fairly easily.

Hammer the chainset off and take out the bb. Bold the tool to the bb so it cant come loose and will apply force properly.

Once that's out then I've just hacksawed 4 slots and broke it up to get it out.

Make sure the tool is as far into the crank as possibly.

both sides are plastic sadly :/ which is weird as im used to metal and plastic on one side like you've mentioned.. hammering does NOTHING at all it wont move at all.. i left it to soak in oil for the night hoping that it penetrate deep enough for it to come off and then i can possible crack on with the BB..

but i need this bike up and running on tuesday.. now who sells BB's and chainsets?! :o i've got halfords, evans not far from me.. but i don't need a 150quid + chainset so im not wiling to pay that :o

thanks for advice btw.

Soldato
Would be the first time I've came across a plastic BB.

The chainset will be on the axle quite tight. You need to hit the hell out of it, I have a huge chissell that likes doing this.

You could try heating it as one will be steel and the other alloy.

Associate
both sides are plastic sadly :/ which is weird as im used to metal and plastic on one side like you've mentioned.. hammering does NOTHING at all it wont move at all.. i left it to soak in oil for the night hoping that it penetrate deep enough for it to come off and then i can possible crack on with the BB..

but i need this bike up and running on tuesday.. now who sells BB's and chainsets?! :o i've got halfords, evans not far from me.. but i don't need a 150quid + chainset so im not wiling to pay that :o

thanks for advice btw.

Perfect excuse for an n+1? :p

Soldato

thanks for advice btw.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triple-8s-170mm-bottom-bracket-id_2569409.html#avantages

?

Caporegime
My neighbour has finally finished building his winter bike, just as we hit summer, having used his CAAD10 all winter since selling me his TdF. He's built it with a Ridley aluminium frame, mix of Tiagra and 105 parts and RS10 wheels. I think the only bits he had the shop do were fitting the headset and the bottom bracket. So the good news is when I get round to building my next bike I'll have someone close at hand who knows what they're doing!

Soldato
I'v just made a start on my next build too...well, i'v just bought a frame.
Cant afford a whole new bike just now, but i'm planning on gathering a few bits together each month and building it into a cyclocross bike. Hopefully have it built in time for the CX season starting september/october time.

Soldato
Went out w/ Bike Science for a group ride, didn't take enough food though. Bonked.

80.1mi, 5,624ft, 18.5mph and picked up some nice segments: KOM, 3,4,6,6,7,8

Caporegime
I feel bad when I see that people are doing 80 mile rides at 18mph or whatever. I try to tell myself it's because I've only been cycling less than a year that I can't do that... Maybe I'll get there one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom