Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Do they fit the Fizik ICS?

The Arundel Uno? Nope, it just goes round the saddle rails.

Off to try that now.

Edit: tried flipping it, but I can't get it to go into the hole in the saddle in reverse. There is a fin / ridge on the underside of the saddle that stops me getting the correct angle to get it in. That's disappointing.

Last edited:
Associate
I am actually considering a saddle bag myself. I currently use a tool box that fits into my bottle cage but when I do longer rides in warmer weather I may need 2 water bottles. I'm not a huge fan of having everything in my jersey pockets.

I'm completely sold on a small saddle bag as it looks much neater than bulging jersey pockets and it means the minimum required kit (CO2 inflator, multitool, levers, spare tube and patches) are always on my road bike so I can't forget them. The "rules" are a load of crap unless you've got a support car, even the pro's use saddle bags when they're out on their own as it's the best way to carry stuff.

Associate
I'm still waiting on my final measurements etc to be emailed to me after that bike fit but here's a rough guide to what got went over:

Initial discussion regarding known injuries/handicaps, previous/current exercise regime. (my main one being a dodgy left knee)

Typical physiotherapy type assessment of standing/walking/lying down while various joints are manipulated to check for abnormalities. inflexibilities etc.

Examination of cleats, insoles etc to check for wear patterns and whatnot, followed by a lot of messing about with my feet with my shoes on to determine proper cleat position.

Then the slow-mo filming of me while I was on the turbo trainer. This went on for quite a while (they really need a fan in front of the bike. I was sweating buckets) while he alternated between watching the slow-mo footage and stopping me to adjust saddle height/handlebar height/angle until everything was smooth.

The main things adjusted for for me were:

Saddle moved back (along with raising) - too quad dominant to the point where they were fighting my hamstrings on the backstroke

Saddle raised significantly/handlebars dropped - to fix a hunching of my back due to short legs/long torso silliness. He also recommended a longer stem to help this.

Plus whatever he did to my cleats. He also recommended foam rolling a tight ITB on my right side to correct my right knee flaring out.

The bike feels more comfortable now, especially for my knee but I'll wait a week or so before ruling it out as a placebo.

Soldato
I may not have been serious when mentioning the rules! I for one have a frame mounted pump which is illegal.

If I can find a saddle bag that fits my stuff in, doesn't fall off or rattle and looks sexy I will gladly put one on my bike.

The tool box is working for me at the moment but "summer" is coming and I need moar water!

Caporegime
Cheers for the write up Damien. I think I'm going to get along for a fit sometime in he next couple of months to get my current bike straight to save buggering my knee and ahead of my fabled bike build.

How long did it all take?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a complete sunglasses convert, after riding with them for the last week I have no idea how I managed without them :p

Also ended up buying two Antares saddles today one for a bargain from a club member with Kium rails and another as a spontaneous buy from the bay w/ carbon rails. So now I have an ex demo arione saddle surplus to requirements, can surely only mean one thing... right?

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers for the write up Damien. I think I'm going to get along for a fit sometime in he next couple of months to get my current bike straight to save buggering my knee and ahead of my fabled bike build.

How long did it all take?

It took about 2hrs in total. It's a lot of money but it's something you should only need to do once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom