Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
hacksaw will be my next step, but currently i need to get the steel bit out of the center then i can cut the plastic bits to peaces and remove them..

i've been killing bikes since 10 and i haven't had a problem this annoying :o

stupid stupid thing..

i can't seem to find any BB with metal cups, what about the external ones? will they fit?

all my experience is sadly with bmx'es and they are like SS bikes in a way just BB's different tbh

The Shimano UN55 now has a metal non drive side cup compared to the previous UN54 which had the plastic cup.

If you have stripped the threads from within the cranks then that is for the bin. Check online for a cheap 3400/3500 sora chainset and BB4600 external cups.

olv

olv

Soldato
Just bought a Specialized Romin saddle, hoping this will be the solution to my (ah-hem) numbness issues and general saddle discomfort. My Scott is almost roadworthy - just need boring stuff like a chain, cables and bottle cages!

I've just bought a Specialized Phenom after a short stint with a Selle Italian which I really didn't get on with. Did 100km yesterday and it was much improved. I've found chamois cream and bib shorts with a thicker pad helped massively.

olv

olv

Soldato
Obviously shorts are a big factor as well, but have you had a seat bone fit?

Measuring your sit bones is really easy. Just bend over (oo-er), and feel for the two pointy bones in your cheeks and ask someone kindly to measure between them.

Then specialized have a nice chart which tell you what size saddle you need for different sit bone widths.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/k4d...ts/7284336SpecializedSaddleFitMethod.jpg.html

Specialized are the only brand I found that had easy saddle sizing. Still doesn't guarantee comfort but gives you a better idea.

Soldato
Obviously shorts are a big factor as well, but have you had a seat bone fit?

Good point - I haven't measured properly but my current saddle seems to be OK as far as support goes, but I definitely need some sort of pressure relieving cutout. If I don't get on with the Romin then I'll go for something flatter profiled like a Toupe.

I've currently got a PX Arione clone that will be surplus to requirements once the Romin arrives, but that is more comfortable than the Charge Spoon it replaced.

Soldato
I've been wanting a small saddle bag for the summer bike to replace the suitcase sized ones I have in a draw. Ordered an Arundel Uno and it does not dissapoint.

Inner tube, 2* tyre lever, mini multi tool:
IMG_2906.jpg

Edit: Wait, just realised I ordered it Saturday evening from PBK and it was delivered Monday :o

Caporegime
Good point - I haven't measured properly but my current saddle seems to be OK as far as support goes, but I definitely need some sort of pressure relieving cutout. If I don't get on with the Romin then I'll go for something flatter profiled like a Toupe.

I've currently got a PX Arione clone that will be surplus to requirements once the Romin arrives, but that is more comfortable than the Charge Spoon it replaced.

You might not need a cutout, just a wider saddle. Have you thought about a brooks?

Soldato
Follow up to my wheel issue of last week. One of the athletes I coach is a cycle mechanic so I gave it to him to look in to. It's repairable, great, but sadly spokes are not available. I've phoned around and can't find anyone with stock, and even if I find a few, it just defers the problem.

As such, I'm on the look out for some new wheels. Leading contention at the moment is a paid of Ultegra 6700 wheels for £230ish.

I want to buy new wheels ideally, so up to £300 is there anything else I should consider?

-James

Soldato
Follow up to my wheel issue of last week. One of the athletes I coach is a cycle mechanic so I gave it to him to look in to. It's repairable, great, but sadly spokes are not available. I've phoned around and can't find anyone with stock, and even if I find a few, it just defers the problem.

As such, I'm on the look out for some new wheels. Leading contention at the moment is a paid of Ultegra 6700 wheels for £230ish.

I want to buy new wheels ideally, so up to £300 is there anything else I should consider?

-James

Get some hand built wheels using commonly available parts. That way you can have something custom built to your needs and they will be repairable ad infinitum.

It shouldn't cost more that you are budgeting.

Ultegra hubs, DT Swiss Competiton Spokes and H Plus Son Archetype rims, 28 / 24 spokes: £300.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Asprilla. Ultergra hubs work out about £70 the pair I think, so could be on to something here if I can get the aforementioned friend to build them too!

Really? I thought closer to £100. I get 105 5700 hubs for £60 on ebay and Ribble to 6700 Ultegra hubs for £98.52.

The prices I gave you were based on the wheel builder on justridingalong.co.uk. You can probably get parts cheaper elsewhere. The important thing is that you either speak to an experienced builder or do a lot of research. Expensive doesn't mean better and some combinations of hub and rim are better than others dues to flange width / height and the associated spoke angles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom