Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
- Moving the saddle forward isn't an option as it causes knee pain.
- Stem is 90mm so I don't fancy making it 80mm as it'll probably be too twitchy.
- Not replacing the frame!

You cant change the reach without changing one of these things.
Lifting the bars higher will reduce the reach slightly, but not really a noticeable difference. You could try angling the bars up a little but that's not going to make a huge difference either.

Last edited:
Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24869999 said:
Unless your hoods are higher than the saddle then surely lowering the stem on the steerer is just going to move the bars further away.

Can you flip the stem? That should move the bars up and reduce the distance.

I'll take a picture later.

I'm probably wrong, but for some reason in my head I think lowering the stem will move the hoods further away vertically but slightly closer horizontally!

Associate

InQ

InQ

Associate
[Damien];24293602 said:
Unfortunately most of the pics from tonight were taken with a potato. The GF used burst mode so there's loads of them but most are blurry.

Here's a couple of pics I've managed to find with my sexy self in.

bW41mKI.png
hQ66Lku.jpg
vURCQR4.jpg

I'll see if I can find a few more tomorrow and edit them in.

If anyone fancies going, just be prepared for the unbelievable dryness of the air in there. It gets very warm in there but that's not the worst thing. It's your throat feeling like sandpaper after a few mins of heavy effort that gets you.

Anymore info from when you went?
Did you have it booked for an hour, what did you do in the hour etc?

Soldato
Such random news, I knew he was a big cyclist but still. He announced a couple of days ago on twitter that he had big news coming, so everyone was speculating a red bull move or something silly, then he comes out with that! Team is supposedly going to be built around Sammy Sanchez for next year.

Soldato
Interesting. Reading some news sites, it seems that "his sponsor" has paid for the team.
Any ideas who the sponsor might be?

Personal sponsors on his website are listed as: Oakley, Europcar and Viceroy.
I think that Europcar's sponsorship of Team Europcar ends at the end of 2013. I'd be disappointed if they were the sponsor though. Nothing against Europcar - it just wouldnt feel like a new team.

I'd like to see an Oakley team.
Could be some other sponsor though? Ferrari? :p

Soldato
My ride on Saturday showed me my Rose doesn't quite have "all day comfort", at least not for 10 hours in the saddle.

I think my reach to the hoods is slightly too long by a tiny amount compared to my other bikes but I'm not sure how I can reduce it.

- Moving the saddle forward isn't an option as it causes knee pain.
- Stem is 90mm so I don't fancy making it 80mm as it'll probably be too twitchy.
- Bars are 40cm, I could fit 38cm to decrease reach but my bars are £180 to replace!
- Saddle is at optimum height so I don't want to lower it.
- Not replacing the frame!

My question is would lowering my stem by swapping out my final spacer for a shorter one effectively reduce my reach to the hoods? I know it'd increase my saddle to bar drop, but I think it would also bring the hoods a bit closer?

Try changing the stem. If you don't think you'll like the handling then just get a cheap one to try. For the small outlay, it's worth trying, Shirley?

Soldato
Try changing the stem. If you don't think you'll like the handling then just get a cheap one to try. For the small outlay, it's worth trying, Shirley?

Good idea. A shorter stem is cheaper than new bars or getting the LBS to slam the stem further.

On the other hand, I don't generally ride for 140mi with a rucksack on so perhaps I can live with how it is!

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24870815 said:
Could well be Europcar since they are a UCI ProContinental ranked team, not a ProTour team. Would be a step up in exposure for Europcar as a company.

I am pretty sure that Europcar have renewed with the current team so unlikely to be them.

Soldato
What helmet camera do people recommend?

We have some idiots in cars pushing people off bikes and breaking bones so thinking if i can get one with a decent image and battery it might be worth the effort. And price and waterproof too. :)

Soldato
Doesn't anyone have a route, preferably on Strava but doesn't really matter, for the Coll de Soller (to/from Puerto Pollenca or thereabouts)? I know someone here did it this year but can't remember who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom