Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Does anyone have the new garmin speed/cadence sensors? My GSC10 speed sensor has just stopped working, the cadence sensor is still fine though. I think 4 hours in the rain in the lakes ruined it.

Is the speed sensor easy to move between wheels?

Soldato
What's everybodies opinions on listening to music while cycling? I'm staunchly against it but a chap at work does it regularly. I think its just too dangerous not being able to hear things properly and utilise all your senses to stay safe.

Associate
What's everybodies opinions on listening to music while cycling? I'm staunchly against it but a chap at work does it regularly. I think its just too dangerous not being able to hear things properly and utilise all your senses to stay safe.

20mph whistling through my helmet straps mean I can't hear a damn thing anyway.

Not that I'd do it.

I occasionally listen to Radio 4 when going round Richmond Park.

Associate

I wear bone conducted headphones, if I'm doing a long boring endurance ride. I find I can still hear things normally, heavy traffic will usually drown out the music. I certainly still hear cars approaching though.

I wouldn't use standard headphones though

Soldato

full volume for me with ear buds.. left ear only so the traffic can be heard :) never had a problem, can pretty much hear everything around me! have been cycling like that for years :o

Soldato
I forgot, my main reason for posting. I brought some 18650 batteries from Torchy on ebay. Unfortunately, I mistakenly purchased batteries with a flat top that won't work in my Cree. They'll work with a torch that has raised or spring terminals though. Would anyone be interested in them as I can't use. They're £17.99 on ebay, but I'm willing to make a bit of a loss.

Get some little round magnets to stick on the end?

Associate
Does anyone have the new garmin speed/cadence sensors? My GSC10 speed sensor has just stopped working, the cadence sensor is still fine though. I think 4 hours in the rain in the lakes ruined it.

Is the speed sensor easy to move between wheels?

I havn't got one but I would assume that they're very easy to move as they just clip round the hub without being zip tied or anything. Just a stretchy rubber casing iirc that loops back on itself. Sounds pretty simple and effective

Soldato
I forgot, my main reason for posting. I brought some 18650 batteries from Torchy on ebay. Unfortunately, I mistakenly purchased batteries with a flat top that won't work in my Cree. They'll work with a torch that has raised or spring terminals though. Would anyone be interested in them as I can't use. They're £17.99 on ebay, but I'm willing to make a bit of a loss.

Got a link, I could possibly use these in my torches!

Soldato
Any suggestions for decent bar tape for a tenner? Castelli cork gel tape looks promising.

I have the Cinelli stuff, can't fault it. Other than the finishing tape that came with it being a bit rubbish, but you can just use electrical tape. Just be aware that unless you get black it'll pick up a lot of marks.

I don't think i'll be buying it again, though. Just a bit too spongey for my liking, think i'll try some non-gel cork stuff next time or maybe Deda Traforato.

Caporegime
Late ride for me this evening - I didn't even set off until twenty to nine. Managed 18 miles at just over 16mph.

I would have set off sooner, but when I was unscrewing the valve on my rear tyre to pump it up, the entire valve core came out... I've no idea where it ended up, it must have flown out somewhere. I had to change the tyre which wasted quarter of an hour or so. Still, it explains why that tyre kept going slowly flat.

Oh, and I think I've passed my total for last year already, with like 7 weeks to spare. Not that I expect to get out much once we get into December, but even so.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
full volume for me with ear buds.. left ear only so the traffic can be heard :) never had a problem, can pretty much hear everything around me! have been cycling like that for years :o

Same here. I used to have both in back in the day (tsk tsk) - though I never had a problem due to it I still felt I should switch to the seemingly safer method of just left ear.

Half the time I can't hear the music due to wind/traffic anyhow.

Man of Honour
Noob question time :o

Just got a turbo trainer.

Used for the 1st time last nite - god my legs are killing me when starting out

As I'm new to this, is there a max time/frequency of use.

Or is it just common sense?

You may want to check out TrainerRoad and/or Sufferfest.

As above, listen to your body really. Don't suddenly go from doing 20 miles a week to 200. Eventually you will be able to do long (or intense) turbo sessions almost every day if you want to.

Do you have a separate tyre for your turbo trainer btw? They eat tyres extremely quickly (and make your tyres unsafe to use on the road) so be careful of using your main bike/tyre on it.

Soldato
It depends what you're trying to achieve. But really there is no rule.
Do some intervals a few times week for 30mins and take it from there.

Weight loss (19st) and fitness (struggling big time on hills) :(

I think I'm trying to run b4 I can walk - so to speak :D

You may want to check out TrainerRoad and/or Sufferfest.

As above, listen to your body really. Don't suddenly go from doing 20 miles a week to 200.
Eventually you will be able to do long (or intense) turbo sessions almost every day if you want to.

Do you have a separate tyre for your turbo trainer btw?
They eat tyres extremely quickly (and make your tyres unsafe to use on the road)
so be careful of using your main bike/tyre on it.

Cheers, will have a look at those after work.

Was informed that my normal tyre will be okay to start off with,

will look at getting a spare wheel/tyre setup when I swap my cassette out.

Thanks for the reply's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom