Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underboss
There are Cree options on ebay for a pittance for two which will work.
Guy I work with ordered that one off amazon, took two weeks to arrive even with the shipping!
turns out it was coming from holland!
mines due in the morning after ordering last night late!

maybe one of these ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4629d420d7

also looked at these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-Q5-L...rtGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item3f288389e7

and also the 2x cree ones of these , but I only want the one, also I want to quickly and easily just to pull it off to use as a torch when needed

Associate
I was looking at the cheapest one, the HECTO, and that's 100 Lumens , run time of 2h30
the macro, on 100 Lumens mode, does 8 hours

but as I have said, its only a backup

I've got one as my main light, even the 100 lumens setting is perfectly good on an unlit cycle path without blinding the people coming towards me.

Not sure I believe 8 hours, maybe 6, but I've never let it actually run dry. Once the indicator light hits red I'll charge it, so maybe you get longer than I'm willing to leave it.

Soldato
I can get a Lezyne Macro Drive (approx. £50 light) on ebay from a seller that has a few, for £30 delivered (he says its new) seems like a good deal, worth it as a secondary? options please

thanks

Mind sharing the link for them mate? They're the light that is ment to come with the magazine sub from mymagazines that some of us signed up for... I'm probably going to order one for £30 as I really fancy a helmet light that has a front and rear light :)

Today's tour of Sufferlandria is complete. Tailed off somewhat towards the end but given I also did beefcake/squats today I'm pretty happy.

http://www.strava.com/activities/220514686
http://www.strava.com/activities/220568165
http://www.strava.com/activities/220610702

You're a machine!

Had a certain OPQS rider turn up too, didn't stop one of our group from piping up when he was chatting on the front to the guy next to him to start rolling turns and stop gassing! :o

Lol! Was he not wearing team kit? Rest day! ;)

I've got one as my main light, even the 100 lumens setting is perfectly good on an unlit cycle path without blinding the people coming towards me.

The Cree Q5 (100 lumen) I snapped up cheap from EBay works well but it's far from being 100 lumen - my Cateye Volt100 (100 lumen) is far brighter even on it's lower (<100 lumen) setting. I'm not sure if it's the cheap batteries I used (they are new panasonic branded ones not some old tat) or the LED itself - but as a backup light it's suitable for my commuting (only around 200 yards without street lights so 90% used for my visibility to drivers).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-Q5-L...rtGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item3f288389e7

and also the 2x cree ones of these , but I only want the one, also I want to quickly and easily just to pull it off to use as a torch when needed

The Volt100 I have is much quicker to remove than the Q5, it uses a clip i can operate even with gloves on. the Q5 you have to loosen the tightening 'thumb screw' and it's very tricky to do with gloves on! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Mind sharing the link for them mate? They're the light that is ment to come with the magazine sub from mymagazines that some of us signed up for... I'm probably going to order one for £30 as I really fancy a helmet light that has a front and rear light :)

The normal Macro Drive is a front light only, the "Duo" version that comes with the mag sub is the helmet version with front/rear.

Interestingly, someone on BR has posted a photo suggesting they've received their free Duo!

Soldato
Ok so

I'm tempted to get a new bike for next year and the wife doesn't seem that against the idea!

I've had my Caad8 for about 18 months now and it's a solid bike whlist not being the lightest. Running with zonda's and tiagra groupset.

I have 2 mountain bikes but really will potentially sell my main one as it barely gets used these days. Hoping to net around £800-£1k for that.

So if I use the Caad8 as my winter bike/trainer etc and have £2k to spend on a new bike - where should it go.

Got all my measurements from a bike fitting last year so can set it up fairly well at the outset - happy enough to consider mail order which obviously brings canyon/rose etc into the mix.

Canyon always have had a soft spot for!

Generally used for sportives & 30/40/50 milers

Any thoughts other then Canyon for the money?

Soldato
The normal Macro Drive is a front light only, the "Duo" version that comes with the mag sub is the helmet version with front/rear.

Interestingly, someone on BR has posted a photo suggesting they've received their free Duo!

Ahhh my bad! Fingers crossed we'll start seeing them shortly then! Can only hope (as I'd given up on hearing anything and was getting ready to cancel the direct debit lol)

Underboss

You're a machine!

Lol! Was he not wearing team kit? Rest day! ;)

The Cree Q5 (100 lumen) I snapped up cheap from EBay works well but it's far from being 100 lumen - my Cateye Volt100 (100 lumen) is far brighter even on it's lower (<100 lumen) setting. I'm not sure if it's the cheap batteries I used (they are new panasonic branded ones not some old tat) or the LED itself - but as a backup light it's suitable for my commuting (only around 200 yards without street lights so 90% used for my visibility to drivers).

The Volt100 I have is much quicker to remove than the Q5, it uses a clip i can operate even with gloves on. the Q5 you have to loosen the tightening 'thumb screw' and it's very tricky to do with gloves on! :)

no problem
here :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lezyne-Ma...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2a4751e338

note.. if you look at the picture the cardboard does say 400L (that's the current version) weather or not he's switched them to the older version I don't know

you got a link to this other light you mention? Thanks

Caporegime
£2k will get you pretty close to the top of what Ribble or Planet X can offer you. You could get a Gran Fondo from Ribble with Di2 Ultegra electronic shifting and Ultegra wheels. Or you could go for something with a fancier brand and a bit less in the way of kit.

Whatever you do, I hope you'll do more than just 50 milers on a £2k bike! I wouldn't feel I was doing it justice if I wasn't out all day on it!

Soldato
you got a link to this other light you mention? Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221446876634?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT is the one I picked up... Really should see about getting the extender and 165's for it and maybe a replacement LED?... Argh - should just buy a new light with those already for £7.50 or whatever linked earlier ;)

Thanks for your link and info, but sounds like I should hold off and hope the magazine sub comes through!

Associate
Mate of mine said his free Lezyne light turned up in today's post, from that magazine subscription. I'll check my post tonight.

Underboss
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221446876634?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT is the one I picked up... Really should see about getting the extender and 165's for it and maybe a replacement LED?... Argh - should just buy a new light with those already for £7.50 or whatever linked earlier ;)

Thanks for your link and info, but sounds like I should hold off and hope the magazine sub comes through!

nice and cheap !

if that mount was better, more suited for me, I would get that one
the Ultrafire and the Lyzynes seem a good bet at the moment, leaning towards the Lezyne more due to USB re charge

Soldato
£2k will get you pretty close to the top of what Ribble or Planet X can offer you. You could get a Gran Fondo from Ribble with Di2 Ultegra electronic shifting and Ultegra wheels. Or you could go for something with a fancier brand and a bit less in the way of kit.

Whatever you do, I hope you'll do more than just 50 milers on a £2k bike! I wouldn't feel I was doing it justice if I wasn't out all day on it!

Thanks - yeah 50 miles 2 or 3 times a week and longer if possible but a wife/2 kids and work seem to get in the way of the 100 milers!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom