Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Anyone know anything about bar end shifters?

If you take the lever off a 9/10/11 speed indexed bar end shifter, does it have the same square boss that old downtube shifters used to have? I'm wondering if I can mount a pair of indexed 6-speed downtube shifters in place of the ones that come with the set and get indexed shifting for my retro 6-speed setup on my disc wheel.

they make mounts to use bar end shifters as thumbshifters on MTBs. Might be worth looking at those to see how they work

Soldato
Anyone know anything about bar end shifters?

If you take the lever off a 9/10/11 speed indexed bar end shifter, does it have the same square boss that old downtube shifters used to have? I'm wondering if I can mount a pair of indexed 6-speed downtube shifters in place of the ones that come with the set and get indexed shifting for my retro 6-speed setup on my disc wheel.

It looks like it in this image (from parktool):
barendshifter44.jpg

Never taken mine apart though so I dont know if they are all like that.
You could use a front derailleur shifter. They are non-indexed but i'm not sure if it would have the range to do a 6 speed derailleur.

Last edited:
Soldato
So what you're saying is that i should drop a few gears so its easier to turn the pedals rather than try to maintain a higher speed in a higher gear but with lower pedal revolutions?

Exactly this.

Maintaining the same speed in an easier gear by spinning faster is what you'll want to do.

Soldato
I'd do your 20 mile route a couple of times a week at tempo, i.e trying and a club ride at the weekend. Should be enough to progress?

That would be me. I post a lot of rubbish on there though so don't read too much of it.

Some of us meet early on Saturday mornings for a long ride which may not be the right ride for you at the moment but other rides get posted which might be more for you.

If you can get out early tomorrow, those of us that commute by bike regularly meet at Costa in Chilwell Friday mornings about 6:45-7:15am for a coffee and chat before we all head to work. You'd be more than welcome to join us, get to meet a few of the guys.

Yeah, it might be a bit much!

And will take you up on that offer sometime, I work over in Derby/Raynesway so it's the opposite the direction, but if I fancy a longer morning ride then it's a good shout :)

Soldato
Exactly this.

Maintaining the same speed in an easier gear by spinning faster is what you'll want to do.

Ah ok, I just went full retard and sat in my top gear as long as i could before inevitably dropping down to maintain 25km/h in 'effort 3' then pumping it up to between 30 - 35km/h in 'effort 5' zones during the routine. I'll try the lower gear, higher spin next time :)

Soldato
Yeah, it might be a bit much!

And will take you up on that offer sometime, I work over in Derby/Raynesway so it's the opposite the direction, but if I fancy a longer morning ride then it's a good shout :)

It's the wrong direction for me and it's Costa and as someone who doesn't drink coffee paying £1.75 for a cup of tea annoys me! Still it's a good laugh and an enjoyable commute afterwards.

Soldato
After moaning about the predicted weather for Saturday yesterday, where every icon on the BBC website for the entire day was "Heavy Rain"; as if my magic we now have a single "Light Rain" at 11am. WTF! But ill take it!

Man of Honour
Rain forecast later and I'm feeling pretty tired. Despite having the day off work I may end up just doing a few turbo sessions and sticking the BBQ on or something rather than getting out for a ride.

edit: I really am tired... this was meant to be a new post :o

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom