Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm..that'd be about 200 miles to cycle to. I know OneMoreSolo has done it but I think I'd have to wait until more summery weather before I attempt it :p

Do you work at a bike place that has some Canyons on display or something? :) It's not impossible that I'll be on London in the near future so I could actually pop along to Kingston on Thames.

edit2: Or do you just mean having a look at yours once you get it? :)

Canyon UK are based in Kingston and I believe they do test rides, but give them a ring to find out.

Alternatively you could try mine. Size 56 ok?

Canyon UK are based in Kingston and I believe they do test rides, but give them a ring to find out.

I'll try giving them a call, cheers.

56cm will probably be a bit small for me. Cheers for the offer though :) I'd still like to hear about how you find the bike once you get it.

Anyone used the Cycle Ops Classic turbo trainer?

One for sale locally to me and might help me get some miles in and used to the bike in the evenings whilst the weathers crap!

I've not used one but if it's cheap then it's probably worth picking up.

Keep in mind that turbo trainers rapidly destroy your tyres so ideally you'll want a separate tyre (or better, separate wheel) for turbo trainer use.

Last edited:

I'll try giving them a call, cheers.

56cm will probably be a bit small for me. Cheers for the offer though :) I'd still like to hear about how you find the bike once you get it.

What you looking at getting? I've been perusing the Canyon website lately and have my eye on the carbon endurance. I'm a bit sceptical of the sizing on there. Their calculator tells me I need a small (53) but I'm fairly certain I need a M56, based on nthe fact that my Giant M/L is similar in sizing to the Canyon M56.

Its all a bit confusing the sizing without actually having the ability to try one first.

Asprilla's twisted my arm into buying two handbuilt wheelsets in the past two years. One is fairly boring Mavic Opensports on Shimano hubs with 32 spokes on each wheel so pretty bombproof, which are on my winter bike. The other set cost £300, so half as much as the cost of the bike they're on, which are H Plus Son Archetypes on Miche Primato hubs, 24 and 28 spokes. They're 23mm rims so they're better suited to 25mm or bigger tyres. The ride quality is good and they look lovely.

Tempted to get a set of the Archetypes from Strada, very tempted!

Interesting, thanks for that.

I've never really had a chance to compare different wheels on the same bike. Did you notice any substantial differences? I'm not necessarily looking for speed improvements (though they would be great of course:)) but general improvement in the 'feel' or comfort.

Compared to the R501s the bike came with the ride is better. That will obviously be partly down to the rims and partly down to the wider tyres I've got on them. They hold speed well once they're rolling. Berger's got some and said that they're super stiff, but I'm not sure I could comment on that.

The Archetypes are meant to be really good rims because - bear with me on this one - they're really round. I guess that means good manufacturing and good QC.

Went out to do my lunch ride today and found...a broken spoke. Argh.

The bike shop local to my work didn't have the right size in stock so I had to walk the bike 3 miles to another shop to get it fixed.... in my SPDs :/

Another ~4 miles to home after that too. My feet aren't happy right now :p

What you looking at getting? I've been perusing the Canyon website lately and have my eye on the carbon endurance. I'm a bit sceptical of the sizing on there. Their calculator tells me I need a small (53) but I'm fairly certain I need a M56, based on nthe fact that my Giant M/L is similar in sizing to the Canyon M56.

Its all a bit confusing the sizing without actually having the ability to try one first.

Inflite AL 9.0 is the shiny looking one :)

Compared to the R501s the bike came with the ride is better. That will obviously be partly down to the rims and partly down to the wider tyres I've got on them. They hold speed well once they're rolling. Berger's got some and said that they're super stiff, but I'm not sure I could comment on that.

The Archetypes are meant to be really good rims because - bear with me on this one - they're really round. I guess that means good manufacturing and good QC.

Cheers. I'll keep that in mind when I start thinking about wheels and such properly.

Jut checked and I actually went for a large (58). Comparing the reach and stack to my Soloist and the 58 came out closest to my current 56 setup. It's a 6mm shorter reach and 30mm higher stack. The high stack is OK as the Soloist has 20mm stem stack and the the stem is flipped up on the Cervelo.

Just picked up my bike with the spoke replaced and wheel re-trued/tenshioned. Pretty quick turn around by Withington Cycles and cost £10.

I should probably learn my way around wheel maintenance some day but for the time being it's too fiddly for me to be bothered with.

Strada are good, but expensive. They built my first Archetypes, on Chris King hubs with cx-ray spokes. I got one of the first batches of Archetypes in the country and they are still going strong.

Ouch, that must've cost quite a bit!

I was quoted £329 for a set on 105 hubs with 32/32 Sapim Race spokes.

Ouch, that must've cost quite a bit!

I was quoted £329 for a set on 105 hubs with 32/32 Sapim Race spokes.

They are charging you over £140 for the build.

At retail prices the rims are £100, hubs £55 and then spokes+nipples for £32. Where are you based? You might be able to buy the kit yourself and take it to a local builder who will charge about £30 a wheel to build.

I got my Archetypes/Miche Primato/24f/28r/Sapimsomethingorotherspokes for £302 delivered from the cycle clinic.

He even sent a second set after the first set mysteriously went walkabout and never arrived.

Anyone know anything about bar end shifters?

If you take the lever off a 9/10/11 speed indexed bar end shifter, does it have the same square boss that old downtube shifters used to have? I'm wondering if I can mount a pair of indexed 6-speed downtube shifters in place of the ones that come with the set and get indexed shifting for my retro 6-speed setup on my disc wheel.

They are charging you over £140 for the build.

At retail prices the rims are £100, hubs £55 and then spokes+nipples for £32. Where are you based? You might be able to buy the kit yourself and take it to a local builder who will charge about £30 a wheel to build.

Long Eaton, East Midlands.

Current rear wheel seems fine though, Mavic Open Pro with 105 hub built by Harry Rowland :)

Front is nothing special but that's holding up fine also.

Last edited:
First week back on the turbo, did a nice 40 minutes tonight whilst watching the documentary chasing legends with the former HTC Highroad team & Cav.
http://www.strava.com/activities/221336343

So boring riding the turbo indoors, waiting for my ant+ usb stick to arrive so i can use trainerroad and at least do some structured training. Back feels fine which is good though still wearing my brace!

Did Sufferfest - The Hunted on Tuesday and blew up after 20 minutes ha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom