Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hah! I remember you replying to one of my posts about routes around Nottinghamshire when I lived in Nottingham, just moved here a few months ago.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/4037721

Only commuting miles really, need to get working up to some bigger rides!

Welcome to come out with me at any time. Did you see my edit? I think I live on the next road to yours.

Underboss
I've heard all of that before. Some people say it's true and others don't.

I'm pretty sure all the miles I'm doing at the moment aren't making me faster but then I just want to get to 10k!

by reading that, this is how I see it (and I need to do?)

1) Speed Work - Do something like Hill Repeats or Interval training twice a week, or ride with a fast group

2) Long Steady Distance - Ride at a steady pace, not just "pedal" and try and get a good average speed, for example, the 20 miler I do I've been getting around 16 mph average speed and that's my steady pace
if I do 14-16 im not pushing enough

3) Variation - each week is different , so that I don't do say hill repeats on Monday, HIITS on Wednesdays etc.

4) Recovery - If I feel I need to recover, then do so, do a recovery ride but at low intensity or stay off the bike completely

5) Train off the bike - self explanatory really, GYM work Pilates or something

Underboss
I wonder if you're reading too much into this. I think for now you just need to get out on a bike.

Can you get out on club rides? When I first got a road bike I joined a club and started riding, didn't pay too much attention to what I should be doing and when.

I go out every Sunday with them now

longest ride, wasn't that long ago
http://www.strava.com/activities/211937101

Soldato
Welcome to come out with me at any time. Did you see my edit? I think I live on the next road to yours.

Cheers! Need to start upping the miles first before I feel comfortable enough :o

Was having a nose around the Beeston CC website and the rides they've got up for some inspiration, assuming you're the same Daveski there on some of the comments?

Soldato
I go out every Sunday with them now

longest ride, wasn't that long ago
http://www.strava.com/activities/211937101

I'd do your 20 mile route a couple of times a week at tempo, i.e trying and a club ride at the weekend. Should be enough to progress?

Cheers! Need to start upping the miles first before I feel comfortable enough :o

Was having a nose around the Beeston CC website and the rides they've got up for some inspiration, assuming you're the same Daveski there on some of the comments?

That would be me. I post a lot of rubbish on there though so don't read too much of it.

Some of us meet early on Saturday mornings for a long ride which may not be the right ride for you at the moment but other rides get posted which might be more for you.

If you can get out early tomorrow, those of us that commute by bike regularly meet at Costa in Chilwell Friday mornings about 6:45-7:15am for a coffee and chat before we all head to work. You'd be more than welcome to join us, get to meet a few of the guys.

Underboss
I'd do your 20 mile route a couple of times a week at tempo, i.e trying and a club ride at the weekend. Should be enough to progress?

That would be me. I post a lot of rubbish on there though so don't read too much of it.

Some of us meet early on Saturday mornings for a long ride which may not be the right ride for you at the moment but other rides get posted which might be more for you.

If you can get out early tomorrow, those of us that commute by bike regularly meet at Costa in Chilwell Friday mornings about 6:45-7:15am for a coffee and chat before we all head to work. You'd be more than welcome to join us, get to meet a few of the guys.

like im doing now really
I did 35 miles yesterday though...

going to ride 20 miles about 3 days a week and then club ride at weekend, depends who's out with us, but if no one is really new they go at there pace and I try and keep up lol

Soldato
ok fitted the lights and gave them a shot after a full days charge
it's like looking into the face of god.
I can no longer see anything where they where, that was this morning.
at least I'll be able to see at night....

Caporegime
Caporegime
Can't comment on the heart rate thing, but I've been doing two shorter midweek rides and a longer weekend ride for a couple of years now and I've been getting faster and coping with longer rides, so something must be working... But hey, when I say faster and longer I mean a metric century at 16mph, so not at all earth shattering, but then I am a 32 year old asthmatic who only started getting any exercise 2 and a half years ago, and who still can't run more than about a hundred yards, so I'm happy enough with that progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom