Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Is there such a thing as a cadence and/or heart rate sensor that will hook into Strava on an iPhone? Or would I just be better off getting a GPS computer and uploading afterwards?

I'd have thought most of them would to be honest. It's more hit and miss for Android phones.

Today I'm off to Brum to meet some friends...drastically cutting into my mileage for the week. Need to do a century tomorrow to make up for it...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit of help please.

My ride this morning.

Strava shows 613 calories burned, yet my Garmin shows 1023 burned.

Which is the more realistic reading please?

I think the max cadence is just a smidge out :D

Strava is more likely to be accurate. Garmin is always a bit/way too high.

How much do you weigh and how hard were you pushing? Both important factors.

Edit: that said, you did a bit of climbing so it may be somewhere in between the two figures...definitely closer to Strava though, unless you're quite overweight/unfit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Strava is more likely to be accurate. Garmin is always a but high.

How much do you weigh and how hard were you pushing? Both important factors.

Around 260lbs now (just over 290 in August)

Effort wise - I push myself mainly on the hills and flats and recover on most downhill stretches

Quite unfit by most peoples standards.

Done no fitness since leaving the forces in 96.

I'm 50 next year so it was a life style decision to sort myself out

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Around 260 now (just over 290 in August)

Effort wise - I push myself mainly on the hills and flats and recover on most downhill stretches

Quite unfit by most peoples standards.

Done no fitness since leaving the forces in 96.

I'm 50 next year so it was a life style decision to sort myself out

In that case I would would think it's quite close to the Garmin figure. Though a bit younger (33) I certainly burnt a ton more calories when I was 16kg heavier than I am now. I also went from virtually sedentary to doing a decent amount of exercise. It's crazy how much better you feel, isn't it? I just wish I'd done this in my 20s...or even earlier.

Soldato
It's crazy how much better you feel, isn't it? I just wish I'd done this in my 20s...or even earlier.

You're not wrong, can't believe it's took me so long to do it.

Finding it difficult to get myself out, but once out there really enjoying it.

Hopefully the turbo will help to shift some weight and improve my endurance.

Really looking forward to next year and some decent weather.:)

Soldato
The way I planned the route was good old google maps navigation and follow the signs for route 6, possible not the most effective routing method.

There is a few miles of gravel in there, not that bad to be fair, Derby council seem good at keeping that Derwent track level and its probably the prettiest section of the ride. Sure my bike doesn't think that though!

I seem to remember trying the Spondon way and following the route all the way into Derby past the Asda but traffic around there was just crazy and the road was gravel from road works, I'm still not massively comfortable with roads so will try and avoid them subconsciously (and consciously).

Will give it another shot that way on Monday, No problem on the follow, motivating to have people watching.

I'm not sure if I'd go the Asda way either, this is a route I've done which is quite similar.

http://www.strava.com/activities/163158682

You cut down through Spondon rather than onwards towards Asda, which then takes you onto a fairly quiet service road and then onto the Route 6 path through the river :)

Soldato
Is there such a thing as a cadence and/or heart rate sensor that will hook into Strava on an iPhone? Or would I just be better off getting a GPS computer and uploading afterwards?

Some android phones have ANT+ sensors but i think the only option for iphone is a bluetooth hr monitor.
I dont think the strava phone app has any options for connecting up sensors though? You'll have to record the ride with another app and upload it to strava later.

Soldato
First ride of any substance in 3 weeks!

Wasn't sure with the weather forecast, my mate bailed, but looked at my phone and didn't look like rain for a good few hours, so went on out! Had a good ride, bit went under foot, but other than that all good! Tried to be quite disclipined and keep my heart rate between 125 and 140, which was fairly successful apart from the odd blip on the small inclines.

http://www.strava.com/activities/221834083

Managed to sell some of my enormous collection of free SIS water bottles on ebay for 2.49 + 1.49 postage, almost pays for the endurance packs I bought for £5 each! :D

Soldato
A friend of mine has one. His videos are unlisted on YT but asked him for one and he sent me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_5c1nX0wY&feature=youtu.be

thanks! looks good enough! 150 for the bike bundle is also an alright price! beats gopro in battery life no problems.

on that note.. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-meteor-front-light/

got it yesterday! great little light :) will post up a little video soon, couldn't find anything on youtube when I was looking for it so I'll get one done.

Soldato
vcMxpD8.jpg

These two arrived tonight. They were on sale at Wiggle for a shade over 16quid, link is a couple of pages back. I ordered the XL ones as I've got other DHB compression tops and underarmour at the XL size. Although the fit isn't as tight as the latter items it does fit quite well but isn't too baggy either.

Got mine on Wednesday, went for the large so I can wear base layers under them if needed... they're too long in the arms but that doesn't bother me! Great buy (thanks for pointing it out!) As they're back up to full price now!

Came across this bargain in TK Maxx earlier (needed another bottle!) For £9.99:

2014-11-22%2016.11.28.jpg

(Sorry if link doesn't work I'll fix it when back on my PC)

Soldato
thanks! looks good enough! 150 for the bike bundle is also an alright price! beats gopro in battery life no problems.

on that note.. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-meteor-front-light/

got it yesterday! great little light :) will post up a little video soon, couldn't find anything on youtube when I was looking for it so I'll get one done.

there you go.. for anyone interested :) it is also a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures haha.. :) ignore the cheesy music in the background.

Underboss
so I didn't go out yesterday, I chickened out of the rain, didn't go out Thursday night due to my 2 nephews and my little niece came for a sleep over

managed to get out tonight, and to do what we spoke about
I was trying to keep around 140 BPM after I warmed up, and I thought the effort was too much, but I held it (tried to) for 20 miles and in the rain !

here's the strava link (I still managed just over 16MPH)

http://app.strava.com/activities/222015364

Soldato
so I didn't go out yesterday, I chickened out of the rain, didn't go out Thursday night due to my 2 nephews and my little niece came for a sleep over

managed to get out tonight, and to do what we spoke about
I was trying to keep around 140 BPM after I warmed up, and I thought the effort was too much, but I held it (tried to) for 20 miles and in the rain !

here's the strava link (I still managed just over 16MPH)

http://app.strava.com/activities/222015364

I think you're focusing on the numbers WAY too much :) just get out and ride as much, as far and as fast as possible and thats it..

Associate
Sorted. (lovely rug I know)

bctXS3zl.jpg.png

Itching to get out on the road though once a few other bits and pieces have arrived :cool:

Anyone got any recommendations for turbo trainer interval work outs/tips etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom