Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Raced OK today, I'm getting better but missing training a few weeks ago, plus I think everyone else has picked up their summer training made it hard.

Tried a few things, nothing really stuck. Sat up on the final climb and finished at the back of the group.

Got some more km's in after racing, Garmin registered temperatures up to 45c (in the sun, 38 in the shade!) I certainly felt a little unwell by the time I got home, despite drinking loads.

Soldato
Alright no need to rub it in , you must have some seriously sharp tan lines by now ;)

I do have some pretty good tan lines.

Nothing like some of the cycling pro photos you see online though!

Wearing SPF 50+ because without even on a cold day you can get burnt. Left my arm warmers on last weekend when it was wet and windy due to the cold and also as sun protection!

Man of Honour
Feeling a bit rough today and also doing a brew (Summit and Centennial, nom nom) so it looks like it's more turbo sessions. Sadly after yesterday and today there's no chance of me catching David Cross on miles this week, pah :p

Man of Honour
Ah...I guess next week is the only week before you are mostly finished then :)

Once I hit 10k I'll also be reducing my miles a lot... it'll probably take me an extra week or so longer than you though.

Underboss
Anyone have any Exposure front lights?
I know some where here has a diablo iirc ?

thinking about replacing my cat eye volt 1200 for an exposure..

its a very good light, don't get me wrong, I just feel I want something that I can keep an eye on the battery level more and change modes better from HIGH to MEDIUM and nothing else

looking on the exposure website, they are suggesting the STRADA is the top of the range light for ROAD use (800 lumens)
has good batter life, on high its 3 hours, on medium its 10 hours

not sure if it would be a step down ion terms of brightness ?

or at similar value is the TORO, much more lumens @ 1800 but website days only 50% use on road.. and not as good battery life (2 hours and 6 hours respectively)

My cateye has a bit of a fiddly button and the bracket isn't that good either, so I wanting a change

Associate
I use a Strada on the winter and it's great. The beam pattern is specific for road riding so I think I only have mine set 600 max (there are something like 10 different options). With a decent beam you don't need omglumens.

I use a joystick on my helmet as back up or for when the weather gets really filthy.

Lowering the max output also means I generally get a few weeks (10hrs per week) out of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Friend of mine works for exposure so see a lot of their lights, and most of them are too much for the road tbh! MTB perfect, but youd need to be pointing them down and reudcing brightness when n the road to low levels.

Associate
The joystick is a torch with a round beam. I use one that I switch between Cervelo, SS and Brompton as well as the one on my helmet. It's ok but I'd choose the Strada every time if I could (doesn't fit the 26mm or flat bars on the bikes above).

Joystick bright but it's a spotlight and tends to blind oncoming cyclists on full.

Soldato
I think anything over say 400lumens is too much for London/well lit streets :) my moon for e.g. is perfect to be seen and has very little to do with me being able to see - even tho on max(200lm) is more than enough on dark parts of the road. And it's only 30quid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom