Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a quick 20 mile blast today. Rebuilt my BMC last sunday so checking i've adjusted it correctly. Happy to say its best its ever been. I must have really botched it up last time as it's vastly different in shifting feel...and confidence using the (poorly designed) rear brake!

Put on some new barrel adjusters. They are really good if anyone is looking for some new ones.

My wife asked me what I fancied for my birthday come March (a way off I know) and I said I fancied building a bike. So I looked around for a frame and found a 2015 Giant Propel Advanced Pro for £1000 which is £500 off :) So she bought it for me. Just shopping around for parts to put on it now :p

Put on some new barrel adjusters. They are really good if anyone is looking for some new ones.

Probably help if you say what brand etc they are! :-P

Smashed out 36miles in the spitting rain today. Perfect gabba weather. Legs seemed to have woken up the last few days. 17mph average which considering the horrendous wind was fairly respectable for 2000 ft climbing.

In terms of training, how do you convert a 17 minute total to FTP? Is there a recommended percentage to use?

The typical rule of thumb for 20mins would be 0.95*20min power. But this is probably ambitious for some given it assumes a very small drop off between 20 mins and your hour max. Somewhere between 0.95 and 0.90 is probably more realistic depending on fitness. For me the difference between 17min and 20min there's probably a watt or two in it. I know I could have held on longer had I wanted to. At the moment I'd assume 320w FTP.

In any case, your actual FTP number is pretty arbitrary given the bandings for zones are quite large anyway. a couple of watts either way isn't going to be huge. Folk seem to like to try and pump up their FTP a bit, but in reality you're only messing your own zones up really.

The typical rule of thumb for 20mins would be 0.95*20min power. But this is probably ambitious for some given it assumes a very small drop off between 20 mins and your hour max. Somewhere between 0.95 and 0.90 is probably more realistic depending on fitness. For me the difference between 17min and 20min there's probably a watt or two in it. I know I could have held on longer had I wanted to. At the moment I'd assume 320w FTP.

In any case, your actual FTP number is pretty arbitrary given the bandings for zones are quite large anyway. a couple of watts either way isn't going to be huge. Folk seem to like to try and pump up their FTP a bit, but in reality you're only messing your own zones up really.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I think I've focussed too much on FTP previously and my 1 min, 5 min, etc powers are all pretty low in comparison as a result. As you say, I also seriously doubt my real 1 hour power was anywhere near what my FTP was for turbo training, though I guess it still makes sense to use that FTP figure for intervals.

It's all a bit disingenuous really.

My wife asked me what I fancied for my birthday come March (a way off I know) and I said I fancied building a bike. So I looked around for a frame and found a 2015 Giant Propel Advanced Pro for £1000 which is £500 off :) So she bought it for me. Just shopping around for parts to put on it now :p

2015_Giant_Propel_Advanced_Pro_Frameset_zpsl32gcrsk.jpg

I've ridden that as part of the 2015 Giant Propel Advanced 0. Great fun! :)

Only a quick 20 mile blast today. Rebuilt my BMC last sunday so checking i've adjusted it correctly. Happy to say its best its ever been. I must have really botched it up last time as it's vastly different in shifting feel...and confidence using the (poorly designed) rear brake!

Nice looking bike that.

What was the ride like? Some reviews seem to say it's reasonably comfortable for an aero bike and some say it's so stiff it shakes your teeth out over rough roads.

I have a 2015 propel advanced 1 and have put a few thousand miles on it. I've never once found it uncomfortable or a bone shaking ride. I love the thing.

What was the ride like? Some reviews seem to say it's reasonably comfortable for an aero bike and some say it's so stiff it shakes your teeth out over rough roads.

It didn't seem bad at all really. I was certainly expecting worse... I only had a sketchy moment descending at 30mph+ when a crosswind hit the front deep section wheel.

So I had my first Zwift and turbo trainer experience this morning, decided to go straight into an FTP test as I heard I could work out heart rate zones based upon it. It gave me an FTP of 509w.

But as I said I'd quite like to work out my heart rates zones.

Is that possible from the following data?

https://www.strava.com/activities/483128433/analysis

Well, you can be sure that the FTP figure you got is very inaccurate :)

I was thinking it might be, any idea why?

What turbo are you using? Also, I'd guess not enough tension. Or resistance if it's a magnetic trainer.

edit: HR zone data from that probably won't be easy, though I'm not an expert. It's likely that your max HR is higher than the highest you saw there and you've not idea of your resting HR. Those are the minimums to get a (very) rough idea of zones.

I know my resting heart rate is around about 60 bpm, no clue of max, theoretical is 185 bpm but I managed to hit 182bpm at one point towards the end of that workout!

I suspect I may have chosen the wrong trainer from the list, I may have chosen the elite fluid rather than the elite crono fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom