Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Could be cable tension (or a frayed cable) perhaps? It does sound a bit odd though.

Last thing I can think of is the cable being a bit tatty, but the ends aren't frayed and they pull through smoothly so ruled it out for now.

I've set up my front from scratch, reset it to be perfectly straight, 2mm from the top of the big chain ring. Set the limit screws to be 1mm from each side of chain on each ring and it will move through the gears like a hot knife through butter, but then I'll ride for a bit and something loosen as it will drop off the big ring.

In all fairness, when I got knocked off twice it wouldn't surprise me if parts are out of line/bent or just broken (front dérailleur slightly bent pointing the chain inwards?!) but I can't get to the bottom of it and my lack of skill and time is making it harder to fix. :(

Bike has only done 1,900 miles! :eek:... Unless that's a lot.

I'm waiting for March when I'm getting a new carbon bike for the summer and will strip my commuter fully down and replace parts, chain, cables, BB etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last thing I can think of is the cable being a bit tatty, but the ends aren't frayed and they pull through smoothly so ruled it out for now.

I've set up my front from scratch, reset it to be perfectly straight, 2mm from the top of the big chain ring. Set the limit screws to be 1mm from each side of chain on each ring and it will move through the gears like a hot knife through butter, but then I'll ride for a bit and something loosen as it will drop off the big ring.

In all fairness, when I got knocked off twice it wouldn't surprise me if parts are out of line/bent or just broken (front dérailleur slightly bent pointing the chain inwards?!) but I can't get to the bottom of it and my lack of skill and time is making it harder to fix. :(

What model of FD is it? It might be simpler and cheaper (in terms of time at least) to just replace the FD, cable inner and outer. Obviously if you're running DA or something this might be a bit OTT...

Caporegime
No rides today. I may get out tomorrow if the rain lets up in the afternoon. I'll not be riding to work on Monday or Tuesday - 50 mile an hour winds don't really do it for me. The wind lets up after that, it just gets cold instead. This sucks balls.

Man of Honour
No rides today. I may get out tomorrow if the rain lets up in the afternoon. I'll not be riding to work on Monday or Tuesday - 50 mile an hour winds don't really do it for me. The wind lets up after that, it just gets cold instead. This sucks balls.

Yeah, I just noticed the wind warnings :eek:

I guess I'll keep my mileage low Mon/Tue. Might be an excused to get a few turbo sessions in... *cry*

Soldato
It's probably worth doing then to be honest. £30 or so and problem should be resolved - or at least you know 100% that it's not down to the cable or FD :)

Will see how tomorrow goes, and if it's still playing up will order one in. :)

Still hivering and hovering over weather to buy some Rivelo clothing, fancy their jacket, bib tights and overshoes. Maybe a jersey or 2.

Soldato
Set out to do my 100k ride today, partly for the strava challenge and partly because I want to do a metric century each month this year.

So windy! Got rained on about 15 miles in, thought I was going to sack it off but it cleared up, the wind got worse though. However I did do it so well chuffed with that. It was slow, but I have only been back riding for a month so I'm pleased just to have done it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/481871956

First 20 or so miles with my dad but he was having a hard time and peeled off. I think it did me good to keep the pace down though as I really struggled towards the end and if I'd been going quicker at the start it would have been worse.

Soldato
Club TT tomorrow, I usually avoid and just do a training ride instead but giving it a crack.

15.2km out and back course, it can get windy but it's usually pretty flat.

My strava PB is a 22:36 40.3kmh on the road bike, so I'm aiming for 41kmh and close to 22 minutes as its at least at a year since I gave it a go.

I guess it's a good FTP test if nothing else!

It got windy, up to 30kmh so a 22 min was out of the question.

My legs felt pretty ordinary, but I've done 360km this week so not tapered or anything. Had a gel 5 mins before the start.

First 5 minutes almost 400w average, oops.

Got to the turn around, had a swig of drink as dry mouth, this was a mistake as I got a really bad stitch with 3km to go.

First split 343w, return split 338w. Average 341w for a time of 22:32, I think if it wasn't windy I'd have gone close to 22. The gusts made it difficult to get into a rhythm which you really need.

Soldato
Great ride Karl you animal!

Weather has annoyed me! Was due to be raining most of the day but it's dry and lighter winds now! So not got any rides planned and want to watch the tennis! But now want to head out at some point!

Man of Honour
It got windy, up to 30kmh so a 22 min was out of the question.

My legs felt pretty ordinary, but I've done 360km this week so not tapered or anything. Had a gel 5 mins before the start.

First 5 minutes almost 400w average, oops.

Got to the turn around, had a swig of drink as dry mouth, this was a mistake as I got a really bad stitch with 3km to go.

First split 343w, return split 338w. Average 341w for a time of 22:32, I think if it wasn't windy I'd have gone close to 22. The gusts made it difficult to get into a rhythm which you really need.

Really impressive power figures :eek:

Soldato
some advice please.

my current singlespeed is somewhat uncomfortable to ride.

the measurements are seat tube 60cm and top tube 55cm. its very compact and tight at the front and find my arms locked crunched.
it has weird geometry and speaking to bike enthusiast they have suggest the bike is too small. so i am looking to purchase a new bike

my inside leg is 91cm and im 193cm tall

i have looked at two particular bikes at evans

the fuji feather(61cm) and the dimension are 61cm seat tube and 59cm top tube

and the specialized langster(61cm) which has a seat tube of 57cm and top tube of 58.4cm (the weird thing is the langster says its 61cm but the geometry specs say different.)

i have asked them to order in the both in 61cm to try out.

my question is should i be more concered with top tube length for my arm reach ?
I ultimately want a more comfortable ride in a upright position rather than leaned forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom