Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, doesn't help with how the weather has been, warm weather with high chances of rain is just rubbish... in all fairness across the year I've barely been caught in much rain but for those weekends when its going to be raining all day, my boil in the bag DHB isn't cutting it.

Booyaka is our tester! :p

Read this today, an article on drag levels of various tyres

http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

which was quite interesting. I knew I wasn't imagining it when I felt slower after swapping to duranos on the winter

As has been said it is a flawed test when they throw in the variable of the different tubes. Also flawed when they run them all at 116PSI no matter what size they are. In the case of 25mm Lithion 2's I know that is higher than the max rating for them.

I landed from a work trip this morning so what did I decide to do after being up for 35 hours... I decided to get a short ride in of course :p Only just over 12 miles but I felt great as I was battling a gusty wind head on for the home stretch.

Last edited:
Yeah, doesn't help with how the weather has been, warm weather with high chances of rain is just rubbish... in all fairness across the year I've barely been caught in much rain but for those weekends when its going to be raining all day, my boil in the bag DHB isn't cutting it.

Booyaka is our tester! :p

yeah - that's my thoughts. I rarely go out when it's raining already, if I'm out and it rains, I think the castelli packaway one is ideal to do a job.

I have a dhb Windslam Roubaix Long Sleeve Jersey top that is superb for windproof/keeping warm with just a short sleeve layer underneath. I'm torn between all 3 as to what I "actually" want them for......:p

Hard to test in real world conditions as they aren't very returnable once they've been used in the rain etc!!

Whatever happens I think you'll either keep the rain out, but the sweat in, OR, let the rain in !!:D

https://www.strava.com/activities/486946414

Nothing too unusual there apart from the fact it is a route I've ridden plenty of times on my road bike and I managed to set PRs on my hybrid! Maybe living on a diet of meat and carbs with zero fruit and veg for a week is the key :p

Lol. Maybe you were unconsciously trying really hard because you thought the hybrid would be super slow or something :p

I'm just getting ready to head out and get soaked. I won't be setting any PRs though...

Lol. Maybe you were unconsciously trying really hard because you thought the hybrid would be super slow or something :p

I'm just getting ready to head out and get soaked. I won't be setting any PRs though...

:D Nah, I ride it all winter as the roads are shocking here with the mud off the fields, haven't ridden the Dolomite since October. I'll get the road bike fitted with mud guards and ride that all year when the hybrid finally needs some proper money to keep it running but at the moment it is a reliable old beast despite being permanently covered in crud!

image.jpg

Seems to be a silly plastic wheel stuck on my bike.

Big old 130km today! Had mates round last night and we were umming and arghing about today, we'll decide tomorrow morning as forecast for rain. Woke up perfectly dry! Proper zig zag ride trying not to go North to south so we didn't have the horrendous headwind to come back into.

Friend was only his second ride of the year, struggled a bit, but only his power got to the top of the climbs fresh as a daisy! His running definitely kept his fitness up, but he dropped off after about 40 miles.

Slow and steady rest of the ride but so gusty! Glad to get home.

Last two 20 mile plus rides I've done I've had a bit of knee pain. Worse today than the last time so I thought maybe my cleats had shifted. Had a look and what has actually happened is the whole of the plate is pulling through the rubber sole :o

I can't say I'm too surprised as these were just cheap Muddyfox ones from Sports Direct as I wasn't sure if I'd get on with SPD and didn't want to spend mega bucks. Kind of annoying though as up to that point they were really comfy and I would have considered another pair.

Hi guys. Just got myself a road bike for the first time (Giant Defy 4 2016). I'm mainly using it for commuting at the moment (6 miles) and my neck aches after about 3 of those miles. The main reason for the purchase is to start going out on weekends to get fitter, but I'm now a bit worried. I'm used to riding a hybrid, so is it something that will just go away or am I not riding correctly?

Stupidly didn't have any practice on the road bike before buying one, and it's a hell of a difference from the hybrid. Any pointers to a noobie like me? I've noticed it's a lot tougher to keep steady in this bloody wind though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom