Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
[TW]Sponge;29145127 said:
Hi guys. Just got myself a road bike for the first time (Giant Defy 4 2016). I'm mainly using it for commuting at the moment (6 miles) and my neck aches after about 3 of those miles. The main reason for the purchase is to start going out on weekends to get fitter, but I'm now a bit worried. I'm used to riding a hybrid, so is it something that will just go away or am I not riding correctly?

Stupidly didn't have any practice on the road bike before buying one, and it's a hell of a difference from the hybrid. Any pointers to a noobie like me? I've noticed it's a lot tougher to keep steady in this bloody wind though.

It will probably be due to your position, if neck ache, would suggest you're too stretched out when riding. I would suggest going to where you got the bike from and asking them to take a look, and make suggestions, possibly shorter stem and moving saddle forward.

Does anyone know if the current design of Zipp wheels suffer from spokes being pulled from the rims? Read a load of owners complaining about pulled spokes, and even Wheelsmiths site talks about it, but was wondering if it was a problem with current models.

I've not ridden for nearly two weeks now... This sucks. I'm now out of action with a cold. I'm hoping to ride into work this week for my last week in Manchester, but the weather isn't looking terribly inviting.

Started the Tour of Sufferlandria today, and I raced last night just to make it interesting. I****IATT is the hardest two hours I've ever had on the bike, bloody hell! No chance I was hitting the target power all the way through but hung on as best I could.

Does anyone know if the current design of Zipp wheels suffer from spokes being pulled from the rims? Read a load of owners complaining about pulled spokes, and even Wheelsmiths site talks about it, but was wondering if it was a problem with current models.

I've not heard that, but I have heard of front hubs exploding. I'm not sure if the latest wheels address that.

Most bikes these days seem to have cups integrated into the head tube and you can just replace the sealed bearings which sit within the cups, so no pressing tools are required. If you remove the fork they should pretty much fall out. The top bearing cover should be easily replaceable too.

This guy sells low stack headset covers: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/207812/?offset=575

Was in Sydney yesterday stopped by Clarence St cyclery and took a guess at bearings. I got two 1 1/8" Cane Creek bearings, this was all wiggle showed as having in stock, save waiting for the post.

Top bearings was a 1 1/8", and was knackered so changed it. Bottom was OK but not as new, that's a 1 3/8" which is harder to find online. So just changed the one bearing, but it's nice and smooth now.

Off for a quick 50 miles shortly. Well, I say quick but I actually will be taking it slowly and probably meeting a friend that hasn't cycled for two months part way along.

Off for an incredibly slow 50 miles shortly :p

Started the Tour of Sufferlandria today, and I raced last night just to make it interesting. I****IATT is the hardest two hours I've ever had on the bike, bloody hell! No chance I was hitting the target power all the way through but hung on as best I could.

Fun wasn't it? :D I wasn't feeling too well - strangely I got through the second big climb which is normally my downfall due to the first 5 minutes almost putting you into the red, but the third climb broke me!

Double revolver today so nothing to worry about :eek: think I'll do the first one at 95% and then see for the second. I've not done the workout in ages and I think it's going to be one hell of a struggle

Grrr.... Absolutely gorgeous morning here but I didn't dare risk a ride in case my shoes completely fell apart on me. Wish I'd risked it now!

Got a new pair on the way from Wiggle but away for work until Friday so I'll get out on my day off. Shame I didn't spot that Santander are offering 10% cashback with Wiggle until after my order was processing though. Bugger :(

It will probably be due to your position, if neck ache, would suggest you're too stretched out when riding. I would suggest going to where you got the bike from and asking them to take a look, and make suggestions, possibly shorter stem and moving saddle forward.

I haven't got time for a test ride at the moment but I do feel a bit stretched out. Will try and move the seat forward and having another go.

Fun wasn't it? :D I wasn't feeling too well - strangely I got through the second big climb which is normally my downfall due to the first 5 minutes almost putting you into the red, but the third climb broke me!

Double revolver today so nothing to worry about :eek: think I'll do the first one at 95% and then see for the second. I've not done the workout in ages and I think it's going to be one hell of a struggle

Second climb was the worst for me, and the valley tempo section bizarrely. I always struggle on those long efforts where you start hard though.

Revolver x2 is going to be a struggle and may have to shake up the order for the rest of the week as I might not have time to do 90 minutes on Tuesday. If I feel really good I might do a double tomorrow and have Tuesday off but that seems highly unlikely after today. :p

Revolver x2 is going to be a struggle and may have to shake up the order for the rest of the week as I might not have time to do 90 minutes on Tuesday. If I feel really good I might do a double tomorrow and have Tuesday off but that seems highly unlikely after today. :p

Double Revolver - that's a brute right there - one is usually enough!:eek:

Didn't know you had a Vig. When did you get that?

Are the bottoms of your drops lower than the top of your tyre or is it the picture? :eek:

It's a Mash, I got it last August. Hasn't seen the velodrome since I got my Intermediate cert though as it's an outdoor track and this winter has been pretty horrible.:(

Due to the steep negative stem the bars do go below the tyre which makes it "illegal" but I doubt I'll ever compete in track event where they'd care.

67 miles this morning and I can't believe I nearly talked myself out of not going, was a great ride and took in a new climb I haven't done before. Felt fairly strong but held back a bit on the climbs. Gotta keep this momentum going.

Put in another 100km today, leaving me with 375 for the past week. Should be in good stead for Majorca in two weeks, will try get in a biggish week this week then a good relaxing week before going out with some fresh legs to hit the climbs!

Bloody windy all the way around. Really looking forward to having to ride home from work tomorrow with 60mph headwind, but my vectors will be here to play with so will give me an incentive to get home!

It's a Mash, I got it last August. Hasn't seen the velodrome since I got my Intermediate cert though as it's an outdoor track and this winter has been pretty horrible.:(

Due to the steep negative stem the bars do go below the tyre which makes it "illegal" but I doubt I'll ever compete in track event where they'd care.

Serious drops on those bars. :cool: Could you take it to Lea Valley instead?

Serious drops on those bars. :cool: Could you take it to Lea Valley instead?

I could, but I'd have to do the whole accreditation again as mine is only valid at Herne Hill. Also, HHV is about 10mins cycle away whereas Lee Valley is the other side of London!

I'll just keep using the turbo until the weather improves enough to hit the track.

Speaking of weather, tomorrow's forecast... rain and 50mph winds.:mad:

EDIT: Oh yes, why has nobody posted this yet? :eek:

AxhVqy3l.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom