Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I need to go up Stoney Lane again as the last time I did it my Garmin went mental and I lost about 3 miles of ride including that climb. Gah! The descent down Bannister Lane on the other side is pretty steep as well. I've not climbed Bannister Lane, but I hear that's hard work.

Yeah, I've only ever gone downhill on that part. Not tried it the other way. I'm a total wimp when it comes to going downhill though so its a "brakes on" kinda slope!

Soldato
I think I'll sell the tdf next year and build up something with disc brakes and mudguards for winter use, probably a croix de fer.

I'm thinking along similar lines but with the intention of having one great do it all bike and shifting my other two. I'll change my mind by next week anyway :p

1 x 12 speed sounds like an excellent idea! Then again I often ride with effectively a 14 speed bike (3 x 7 but the smallest chainring is pointless) and with avoiding cross chaining and overlapped ratios I probably only have 10 actual gear ratios to use.

Soldato
I have a new bike for when the weather improves and I am considering changing to Look Keo style pedals. Have anyone swapped from SPD-SL's to Keo before? Is there any downsides to it? The reason I am looking at doing it is because the velodrome bikes all use Keo and I recently became accredited there so it would save me ~£5 every time I go in not having to rent shoes. My current pedals I use are Shimano R550 if it helps.

Soldato
I have a new bike for when the weather improves and I am considering changing to Look Keo style pedals. Have anyone swapped from SPD-SL's to Keo before? Is there any downsides to it? The reason I am looking at doing it is because the velodrome bikes all use Keo and I recently became accredited there so it would save me ~£5 every time I go in not having to rent shoes. My current pedals I use are Shimano R550 if it helps.

No difference, you seem to have an actual reason to need to swap, surprised they won't let you take your own pedals though. But probably easier to just get new cleats.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vectors installed on the Commuter! Surprising amount of power considering tail wind this morning! They provide the crowfoot wrench adapter now so you can torque them up properly which is a bonus, saves me paying £4 delivery on a £7 tool! :p

Just need to get my old ones working now, seems to be an issue with the firmware. Bloody things!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
All this modern tech, it's a nightmare.

I decided this wind was getting too much for my knees, so I put some easier gearing on my BSA to use while it's windy. Because a 78 year old bike is more sensible in bad weather, right?

IMG_1409.jpg

48 x 21 for all teh spinny.

IMG_1411.jpg

I realise I have now become incapable of using sensible bikes.

Soldato
I'm back from my hols! Will do a bit more of a write up afterwards (lunchtime) or so... :cool:

Doing some catching up having not read this thread for a week...!

Ha! Sorry.
Token TK684

Where from and how much? I found inline adjusters quite expensive and not many options when I last looked.

Can you get a free trial of Trainer Road? I'd trust the FTP test from that more to be honest. Though obviously if the FTP is hugely different in that it's not like you can feed it into Zwift whilst the setup is as it is.

No difference between the Zwift and TR tests, they're basically the same thing - few warm ups and then just hold whatever power you can for 20 mins! :confused:

Roady is on holiday. So I am assuming the role of multi quote king, problem? :p

Good work, try more than 2 next time! ;)

lol people keep commenting on my bike balls :o

lol which ones did you get? The ones from kickstarter?

Ordered a few jackets - not really sure what I want!!

How did you get on? I've got the Castelli Squadra and it's a great packable, loads better than the DHB I had previously. The EQ2.5 I also have and it is a totally different beast - it's a jacket made for wearing during rain & winds and not really aimed at being packable or for warmer weather. Although with the torso 'flap' and underarm vents I found it fine in temperatures up to 12 degrees. I've worn it in warmer summer rain without a jersey underneith but it does become very clammy in higher temperatures, I do run warm though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom