Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How did you get on? I've got the Castelli Squadra and it's a great packable, loads better than the DHB I had previously. The EQ2.5 I also have and it is a totally different beast - it's a jacket made for wearing during rain & winds and not really aimed at being packable or for warmer weather. Although with the torso 'flap' and underarm vents I found it fine in temperatures up to 12 degrees. I've worn it in warmer summer rain without a jersey underneith but it does become very clammy in higher temperatures, I do run warm though.

Good shout - in the end, I returned the Rivelo jacket - nice but too small. I returned the EQ2.5 - lovely jacket, fits great and quality feel to it for the price, but I decided that for now I just really needed a packable shower/rain jacket, so kept the Castelli.

If it's bucketing down for 2 hours or more - your going to get wet no matter what your wearing. Just needed a packable one for now. Sensible choice in the end - didn't really need to spend another £60 on a top. However the DHB was a quality jacket - their stuff is very very impressive for the price.

Soldato
Man I love this thing...

Saddlole angle :p

As mentioned by others, but look at your position on the bike, you might be sitting on the 'nose' of it because the saddle is too far back for your legs?

I think I'll sell the tdf next year and build up something with disc brakes and mudguards for winter use, probably a croix de fer.

I'm thinking along similar lines but with the intention of having one great do it all bike and shifting my other two. I'll change my mind by next week anyway :p

I've been thinking the same thing for a while, bear in mind I only really have the 1 bike currently - Giant Defy 1 2015 (as I'm selling my old Carrera that I'm currently rebuilding). My current train of thought is picking up something like the Kinesis 4S frameset (~£600) and just swapping everything over. I would then upgrade shifters & brakes to disc when the funds allowed, I could then rebuild the Defy 1 2015 up again into a 'summer' bike with the 5800 kit when 4S changed to disc... Although I'm more likely to sell the Defy 1 frameset.

What's stopping me is the ~£600 expenditure on a frameset followed by a ~£350 on the Hydraulic shifters/brakes. Essentially £1000 with quite a bit of work when I could get an 'off the shelf' Crox/London Road/or such for only a little more...

Or sell the Defy 1 whole and go for another 'do it all disc bike' like the Specialized Diverge, maybe even the Comp Carbon... I could then look at a summer bike next year or so!?

I've basically thought if I spend pennies on a nice disc setup what is the point on then spending more to reinstate the Defy 1 as a 'summer' bike when I have a better 'winter' bike?! :confused::o:rolleyes:

Multi-quote overload? Roady's back! :p Hope you enjoy the holiday.

With regards to FTP test I meant in terms of how Zwift measures power, not differences in the test methodology :)

Yeah, great time thanks! Would be quite interesting to see the TR measurement against the Zwift zPower to see how close the two figures are, as isn't the TR figure still a 'power' reading as such (my memory is a little hazy)...

Soldato
Good shout - in the end, I returned the Rivelo jacket - nice but too small. I returned the EQ2.5 - lovely jacket, fits great and quality feel to it for the price, but I decided that for now I just really needed a packable shower/rain jacket, so kept the Castelli.

If it's bucketing down for 2 hours or more - your going to get wet no matter what your wearing. Just needed a packable one for now. Sensible choice in the end - didn't really need to spend another £60 on a top. However the DHB was a quality jacket - their stuff is very very impressive for the price.

I hate to say it but I told you so!

Soldato
However the DHB was a quality jacket - their stuff is very very impressive for the price.

Especially as I got mine in high-viz yellow (no longer available?) and got it for £38... Perfect for commuting! ;)

One of the climbs to where I was on holiday was magical... It was so hot there on monday & tuesday (15-16 degrees!) I was half considering slacking off the snowboarding and finding somewhere to hire a bike... Just hunted down the climb I would've attempted & probably this one...! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
And @Roady you can bugger off back on holiday :p Hope you had fun dude!

Great time although start of the week was just ice after they'd had a warm weekend & little snow from the snow cannons! No snow in the town and 15/16 degrees monday, was 8 degrees even on the slopes! Links to Sestriere were closed due to maintenance and high winds most of the week... Wednesday onwards was colder & some fog so conditions continued to improve. We went to Montgenevre on the Thursday as they'd had ~2 meters of snow the last few days, so conditions were perfect! (our passes covered us for the whole of the 'Milky Way' including 1 day in France). 5am sunday morning (when we woke for our transfer back to Turin) it was snowing hard, 2-3 inches in the town where it hadn't snowed since early January. Typical! :rolleyes:;)

So...anyone have any thoughts on this route?
https://www.strava.com/routes/4088797

Mostly wondering if anyone that has ridden any of those roads/areas can see something obviously terrible I've missed.

Yes, you're climbing the Wrekin next to Telford for some reason? I don't know it but only knowing some parts of Telford I can't imagine it's a very nice place/climb! :p

If you want some cool descents then elongate your route to include Cleobury Mortimer->Ludlow (amazing views climbs/descent) or Malvern Hills(Wyche)/British Camp.

One of these days you've gotta give me a little notice (or ride it on a saturday) and I'll come meet you for a climb and coffee or two! :)

Pushed a 16mph average again this morning commuting but it hurt - some headwinds! All 3 of my commutes so far this week are 16+mph avg ;)
Can't see me continually being lucky with lights/traffic and being able to maintain it but it's a nice target to aim for (grudas, I'll make you proud!) ;)

Still trying to get used to clipping in SPD-SL's without looking/fumbling... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/wiggle/

The industry insider magazine Bikebiz dropped some big news on their website today. According to sources, the retail supergiant Chain Reaction Cycles is set to be brought by rival mega online store Wiggle. Here is the news from Bikebiz.

“BikeBiz believes Wiggle is on the verge of absorbing its main retail rival Chain Reaction Cycles. It’s said to be highly likely that the sale will go through next week, multiple sources say. Founded in 2009 as an offshoot from a Portsmouth bike shop, Wiggle grew and grew, and was sold to Bridgeport Capital for £180m in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom