Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah, i've been (forced) back out on the road and I have enjoyed the feeling of being out in the real world again. It's actually the first time I've been on the AliExpress saddle and I'm still really impressed with how it performs on the roads.

How tall are you? I'm 180cm, I can't remember the exact measurement of my inseam but I was thinking of going to a 160mm crankset but not sure if it's necessary for me. 172.5 on my Canyon
Washed my gravel on Sunday, put new waxed chain for the commute...
1km on way to work link snapped ...had to walk back... Only solution was to get supersix out quickly.. was so nice to commute on light and fast bike lol

On way back went via Greenwich park and got a PB on it haha would be even better if I would try harder

And actual daylight during the day with no rain makes so much difference!!

Soldato
Are you comfy and efficient with your current bike frame and cranks length ? Then get same length in new and as close frame with setup as possible with new.

Use pages that compare bike sizes like https://geometrygeeks.bike/

In 180 on 56 frame - possibly could use 58 with my body and 172.5 cranks.

Bikefit would be handy but a good one costs small fortune

I feel on my bike it's ever so slightly too long. Only way to explain it is when I am on the hoods the part of the hood which feels most comfortable to sit on feels maybe 10mm too far away. Not a deal breaker but enough to notice. When I went to the concept store the guy took one look at me and said size 54. I thought I was going to be 56 but before even mentioning the size issue with my canyon he said he thought I'd look like a 54 and slightly longer stem would be better for me.

They said they'll fit me up on their little machine they have in store when it's time to order but he seemed pretty confident that 54 would be better for me than a 56.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I feel on my bike it's ever so slightly too long. Only way to explain it is when I am on the hoods the part of the hood which feels most comfortable to sit on feels maybe 10mm too far away. Not a deal breaker but enough to notice. When I went to the concept store the guy took one look at me and said size 54. I thought I was going to be 56 but before even mentioning the size issue with my canyon he said he thought I'd look like a 54 and slightly longer stem would be better for me.

They said they'll fit me up on their little machine they have in store when it's time to order but he seemed pretty confident that 54 would be better for me than a 56.

I think quite a lot of people are on bikes that are too big for them. I certainly was. I reckon the vast majority of people buying a bike look at the manufacturers size chart and say "i'm 188cm therefore I am a size large" and thats that. Since I moved to a 56cm TCR I am much happier. Basically every manufacturers chart says I should be on a 58cm despite there being quite a large discrepancy between all their actual geometries and measurements.

Soldato
I think quite a lot of people are on bikes that are too big for them. I certainly was. I reckon the vast majority of people buying a bike look at the manufacturers size chart and say "i'm 188cm therefore I am a size large" and thats that. Since I moved to a 56cm TCR I am much happier. Basically every manufacturers chart says I should be on a 58cm despite there being quite a large discrepancy between all their actual geometries and measurements.

Oh 100%. My first proper bike was a Hoy Hybride which I used to ride to work. I bought a large frame and it felt like a boat. I Know Canyons run a bit bigger but the site said with my height and inseam measured a Medium would be right and while it feels better than the Hoy Hybrid did, it still feels just a bit too big. There's not much in it, but I can just tell it could be ever so slightly smaller and I'd be happier.

This bike was my first ever road bike though so I just took what the site said as gospel. Now I know a tiny bit more about how I feel when I'm on the bike I'd like to get my next one just right.

Soldato

suppose if frame you want is with them, and not avail much cheaper anywhere else, go with them and get fitted in store.

Soldato
I had the same yesterday. Wasn't necessarily trying but put a PB on a segment that was 8s quicker than my best time?! All I was doing during that segment was trying to hold an aero position but I don't see how I did that faster. For context, I've done the segment 80 times

Soldato
For context, i've only done this 7 times (feels like more) but i'm talking a minute faster. With lower HR and similar power output :p

pmVpj0E.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Tailwind? An awful lot of my best segment times come down to this one.
Winter turbo training gains? Certainly applied to me in sping/summer '22, I made significant gains for me and didn't get my usual March cold that would knock gains back a bit.
Fresh legs?
Clean drivetrain?
More aero position?
More polarised ride, smashing specific segments and taking rest of ride very easy?

No doubt others, so many factors! ;)

Soldato
Ok, i'm trying to buy some bib shorts and as mentioned i'm going to try Siroko given they're Spanish and all and i like the jerseys i have of theirs.

They've a big range on their website and naturally i honed in on the cheapest, yet these suggest they're rated for "up to 3 hours" and i figure that doesn't quite work for my plans

As such i moved up to the next price point which seems to be the BX range. Here there are 3 options. The Squandra, Resistence and Hybrid. All the same price and pretty much all with the same description bar the slightest of tweaks

Mmmwvd4.png

Any insight as to what the difference might actually be? Bar slight cosmetic changes.

EDIT - Did some googling, seems they are identical bar some design tweaks. Also feel like i might have sold myself on the higher tier level :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Will do. As said i really like the Jersey i have of theirs. Sunglasses are "ok" but i do always covet something more premium there.

Was about to go with the BX range at €59.95, but then the only version at that price was in a medium, the other BX range was €69.95. There was then an SRX available for €90 and i figured the extra €20 was worth a punt.

Last edited:
Associate
Not that you asked but I like gravel style bib shorts with a thigh pocket.
I don't use it on most rides, unless it's really casual and I don't have a top with pockets. It's handy for back and forth before I ride, especially when using a trainer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that you asked but I like gravel style bib shorts with a thigh pocket.
I don't use it on most rides, unless it's really casual and I don't have a top with pockets. It's handy for back and forth before I ride, especially when using a trainer.

That'd actually be pretty cool. Sometimes i'll wear something warmer than a jersey which means no pockets and i curse having nowhere for my phone/keys.

Purchase 2 incoming!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom