Road Cycling

Associate
My garmin edge holder sounds like a BB creaking, drove me nuts for months and even had the BB out a few times.

it’s the aero bar one, when the level bolt get a tiny bit loose it wants to raise itself making a pretty identical bb creaking sound :cry: . Now I know what it is it’s fine but before it drove me nuts for ages.

Soldato

Got wiped out by a car on saturday morning. Looooong story short (I'll do a proper post with more details later in the week as short on time), extremely lucky with a bunch of bruising, road rashed knees, knock on the head, 2 x rays but only a broken fingertip as a long term injury.

Be Safe out there everyone!

Bike a complete write off - broken frame, bars, forks and a very buckled (but surprisingly not broken) front carbon wheel. Weirdly rear and most of groupset barely even a scuff and appears intact/salveagable (except shifters).

No issues with driver being at fault - happened in front of a Military Police unit (armed!), so progressing with claim against him now. The bike/financial seems straight forward (done it before), but the injury claim has to be done differently - through the DOJ centrally, then comes back to the insurer to sign off before any claim/payout. Sounds like an absolute ballache and I need to 'hire a solicitor' (according to guys insurance) to get it done - even with the guy at fault, admitting liability and being all handled by the police. We'll see.

If anything as I'm amazingly mostly ok (I'll take a fractured finger any day from t-boning a car at 25mph), I hope to get the bike side of things sorted easily & quickly to at least be back riding before the end of 'summer'. If the personal injury takes months/years to sort then so be it...! Do feel like I could ride now... But taking it easy this week - to be 100% for weekend family plans (my Birthday at Legoland). So back on Zwift next week it is...

Annoyingly even though everything else is healing really well (feel like I could ride already!), the finger has a plastic support on it. Know I can't drive with that on... Saw the fracture clinic today expecting it to get taken off and be able to drive... Nope, gotta wear it another 3-4 weeks and as it's a 'finger break' (fractured a fingertip ffs) my car insurance is technically invalid so I can't drive during that time either! Arses! Lucky I can WFH - but system/remote stuff is only a part of an 'IT Assistant' role so figuring out logistics of what days I can work in the office and how to get there & back without riding or driving.

Made me snigger! They do look f*ing odd... Always have. Especially most of the time you see them on audax guys bikes who rage against disc brakes as they 'ruin the classic clean lines' of a bike. Have a word! :D

Would be interesting to see how Garmin tells it's 'heat adaption' and just how much that relates to the recommendation.

If it's telling you, you're only 30% heat adapted, then ride outdoors in that heat, does it mean your fluid consumption is 170% what it would be if you where 90% adapted. Why it thinks youre that low adapted (is that low, what's normal that a bassline should be for someone fully adapted?) when you've been living there for months I don't know... Does it even know your 'home' location to judge your current adaption against, I mean, does it just think you're on holiday for a few weeks, so judging how adapted you are in X period - but as you're out there much longer, likely adapted quite a bit to it, as it can't see many changes, you're under adapted/struggling to adapt as it's not seeing changes... Does that make sense?
oh damn...glad you are okay!!! bike can be replaced !

Soldato
New bike day tomorrow! Very excited. Do any of you have suggestions for bike insurance? Looking for insurance for damage to the bike and third parties in case of a crash (which will hopefully never happen, but can never be too careful particularly given some of the stories here), plus theft.

Soldato
Bikmo seemed good to me. I've insured my 3 'nicer' bikes with them. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying them again if the worst happens! And to have accident coverage if something happens on a ride is a nice bonus too.

Soldato
the one with chrome paint looks the dogs b. !!
i would LOL

It definitely looks nicer now they've changed the rear stays as well!

I had a moment of clarity in the garden yesterday. I think the 'Junglist needs a new bike' joke is going to go on for a few more years :rolleyes: :mad:

Was looking at getting my and my partners bike insured. We keep our bikes in a wooden shed and it seems a lot of the insurance places have a bit of a, fairly understandable, hate boner for wooden sheds. Seems like a mess getting it into a position where I could safely have several thousand pounds worth of bike in there and an insurance plan in place to pay out in case the worst happens.

No space to keep them in the house and I dread the idea of spending ~£8000 and not be able to reliably insure it. Nothing has ever happened and we live in a bit of an enclosed space so it would be quite hard for someone to get into our garden and get into the shed without creating a lot of noise but I'm not sure if it's sensible doing this before we get a new house where I could actually put them in slightly more secure garage or maybe in a spare room

Unless of course any of you have some decent ideas of how I could do a fixed securing point? I just feel like all they'd need to do is rip it out of the shed though!?

fez

fez

Caporegime
New bike day tomorrow! Very excited. Do any of you have suggestions for bike insurance? Looking for insurance for damage to the bike and third parties in case of a crash (which will hopefully never happen, but can never be too careful particularly given some of the stories here), plus theft.

Phew, for a second I thought this was a Junglist post. :p

Soldato
Unless of course any of you have some decent ideas of how I could do a fixed securing point? I just feel like all they'd need to do is rip it out of the shed though!?

Whilst i'm all for many more years of abusing you. Surely just a kind of ground anchor secured to the floor would be sufficient?

Unless we turn it into a @Junglist needs a new house to store a new bike joke?

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst i'm all for many more years of abusing you. Surely just a kind of ground anchor secured to the floor would be sufficient?

I just know insurance companies love an excuse to not pay out so I'm just not sure even a ground/wall anchor would satisfy them if it's ultimately being installed in wood? Chipboard wood at that!

Unless we turn it into a @Junglist needs a new house to store a new bike joke?

My partner is already leading the charge on that one. Maybe I'll get her to join here :cry:

Soldato
I just know insurance companies love an excuse to not pay out so I'm just not sure even a ground/wall anchor would satisfy them if it's ultimately being installed in wood? Chipboard wood at that!

My partner is already leading the charge on that one. Maybe I'll get her to join here :cry:

I think as long as it's well secured to the floor then it doesn't matter what surrounds it, it should still be perfectly secure.

Can't have that, she might see that a proposal is on the cards in 19 years!

fez

fez

Caporegime

The last time I got insurance for my bike they just wanted a beefy padlock and shackle on the shed. Didn't seem to care that the shed was made out of balsa wood. I will be getting a floor anchor and chain when I can move my gravel bike into the shed. Honestly, if they really want a bike and come tooled up enough then they will get it. Its all about making it hard work for them to the point they can't be bothered or that they create such a racket that someone disturbs them.

Soldato

An old trick is to get a big metal bucket and fill it full of concrete, then either set or bolt your anchor into that. Or put your chain into the concrete whilst it sets.

Soldato
I'm nearly 2 months in from getting sick and still not 100% but a new asthma medication has enabled me to do some fast rides again:D

One month later, I'm just going to leave this here. :cool:

moAIRSA.jpeg

Intervals now has me at my best ever ftp via its estimate after a 5 minute best power output going up the longest hill I can reasonably get to around here (still took a 55mile round trip to get to).

Soldato
With a bit of luck, I might be in Auckland in just over a weeks time.
If I go, super6 comes too.

Anyone been ? Has routes ?
Need to find accommodation but routes first lol

Soldato
Sadly this didn't happen, the van from the warehouse to the shop was apparently missing a load of bikes, and the next time I'm free to collect it is two weeks away. Had a good ride on the old bike yesterday though, and I'll be too busy to ride much over the next fortnight anyway

• Sad
Reactions: fez
Back
Top Bottom