Road Cycling

Soldato
@AndyCr15 Can't remember which thread it was discussed, but i recall you having an issue with your Aftershokz and going to see if they'd do a repair. Did you ever go ahead with that?

Mine won't turn on and are out of warranty, i'm just curious if it's worth trying them for a repair. 2.5yrs is a little disappointing, but given the amount i've used them including some abysmal conditions maybe i shouldn't be surprised! Seems like there are a lot of alternatives available now too.

Soldato
@AndyCr15 Can't remember which thread it was discussed, but i recall you having an issue with your Aftershokz
Hmm, I don't remember this... but I really do have a terrible memory. I think the only problem I've had has been battery life deteriorating on my last set, but a bit like you say, I was using them 4 or 5 times a week for maybe 2 years, so I thought maybe it was understandable and just bought the newer model.

Soldato
Yeah. Think I’ll do similar. 2.5yrs is long enough with being used 4-5 times a week.

I see Decathlon do some with a 3yr warranty. Might give them a go but shorter battery life isn’t idea.

Suunto do a great option but around £200 which is a bit much.

Soldato
That's awesome. Last week put me at a VO2 Max of 50 which is about as high as i've ever been i think, and started the year at 46. Your progression is superb!

Thanks, I have been this high a couple of years back but it is great to have regained fitness so quickly after getting into a new routine where I'm out the door most week day mornings for 60-75 minutes at 530-545am. I've now hit 59. :eek:

Soldato
I'm not particularly bothered from an aesthetics point of view, but curious if it could be a sign of manufacturing defect that could cause issue down the line?
It looks just like the rubbery/plastic 'toe' of the shoe has been glued a bit off. Wouldn't expect it to create any issues, the main shoe itself is fine, it's just if there's a gap or a weaker point created somewhere on the one which is 'wrong' as there's less overlap. Although strange they can't 'see' the issue. Maybe a photo with a set of verniers showing the gap difference from the shoe vent to the rubber would force the point if you wanted to. They can't deny the shoes are not the same, but their QC should have caught that if it's an issue.

I'd call it a none issue, but if you bought them new at fairly high price would be pushing them to replace or at least offer you a discount to keep them. It's a manufacturing defect at the end of the day!

Got wiped out by a car on saturday morning. Looooong story short (I'll do a proper post with more details later in the week as short on time), extremely lucky with a bunch of bruising, road rashed knees, knock on the head, 2 x rays but only a broken fingertip as a long term injury.

Be Safe out there everyone!

Here's the long overdue accident report...

Coming down Three Elms Road, car in front of me turning left into Grandstand Road, I eased back with several oncoming cars coming the other way. One stationary ready to turn - when I'm no more than 15-20 feet (5-6m) away he decides to go, half crossing the carriageway. With nowhere to go (no time other than to think 'fcuk' as I only saw in my peripheral he was moving - I was likely focussed on the cars stopped to come out) I hit his offside wing, going over the bonnet and hitting (shattering) the windscreen before landing on the road. Looking at Strava upload afterwards I hit him at around 30-40kph (20-25mph).

I remember seeing sky (maybe twice) with my legs/feet against the blue. The impact on the road being my knees and thigh/hip, my head/helmet scraping something - a glancing blow. My right leg/knee and hands impacted the car - handlebar position meaning my ring fingers both hands taking the main impact. Fracturing the right one. Somehow my torso (other than right quad and shoulder) seemingly not hitting anything. I don't remember hitting the floor, only blue sky above and realising I was on the floor, then ambient noises of vehicles stopping. :o

Military Police at the junction saw it happen (witness) and took details - at least 1 other driver also giving her details to them. MP handed over to other Police who where there very quickly to take all details (another armed unit) who where there very quickly - I was only sat up at the time. First 2 faces I saw where a fully vested and armed officer, then my Club mate both quickly assessing me and telling me not to move until checked. Police officer checked leg, arm and neck mobility before letting me sit up when I felt OK to do so (I wanted to, he was reluctant). Once sat continued to assess, helmet off etc. Slight mark on my head (scuff/barely a dent on helmet), only pain being hands, knees and right thigh. I felt well enough to stand to get myself out of the road, with some assistance. Hobble... Hobble... :eek:

6 people around me as I stood - 4 being armed police was pretty surreal. After 10 mins of being hit I had been assessed by 3 different people - 1 of them a retired nurse (I think), had stood, hopped/hobbled and was then sat at the roadside. Police who witnessed said they where surprised by my lack of injuries - 1 had seen it happen, the other 'looked up and saw me & the bike in the air'. They'd called an ambulance and wanted to wait for it with the evidence of helmet damage meaning a head knock. I had 5-6 clubmates there, 3 of them helping 1 officer directing traffic. My other half arriving another 10 mins later (with my son) was pretty traumatic for them - but by then I'd stood waiting as wanted to show them I was mostly intact. Ambulance arrived another 5-10 after that and took over. I was fairly sure of being 'walking wounded' at that point - already having the discussion if the ambulance was going to be much longer to make my own way to A&E. My only interaction with the driver was at that point - a very shaken, seemingly unsteady on his feet 79 year old puffing on a vape. He looked more shaken than I was, not even saying a word. I looked him in the eye and told him I was 'mostly ok' and they're just checking me over.

Sat in the ambulance then, my 6 year old with me trying to make light of things so got him to come with me and 'see what it was like inside'. Both ring fingers very black, not much blood. Both swelling. Very numb with the right one feeling more 'odd' so was fairly sure that was damaged. No other fingers damaged?! Right thigh although painful was bearable - being able to put weight on it I was telling myself it wasn't broken. Knees very rashed/cut really showing what had mostly 'impacted' the road but not that much blood. Paramedic rolled the helmet around in his hands confirming he could only see 1 mark on it (it had lots of scratches and scrapes already - he was asking me for a new ones and matching them to my head then checking it - only one red bit, swelling slightly on the right side). Second concussion check, they really wanting to check I'd not had a knock - lots of questions testing my answers about things. How the hell do I know what's number 1 in the charts, took me a few seconds to recall who the Prime Minister was. Hooked up to a machine, testing blood pressure a couple of times. Notes my HR 'quite low' but after looking over me asked me if I knew what my resting was - I confirmed ' around 55-65 most of the time' - looking on the machine it was 70. Chill AF! :cry:

Down to A+E, my son (Harry) telling me how he'd even seem the Police mans 'guns' (I didn't realise until my other half said afterwards one of the MP's had shown him the actual rifles & rounds in the back of their car!). Get into A+E (after the ambulance driver shows Harry the driving seat and then gets him to operate the rear ramp!), Paramedic says we've timed it well - nobody else waiting. Less than 10 mins I'd been seen by a Nurse to look at my hands & knees. Bit of poke & prod of the leg, she didn't want to see my head. Doctor came to assess head, another concussion check. A glance at the helmet and she said "nothing to worry about". Into waiting room then for an x-ray on my hand. 2 other old guys there - one a keen runner & occasional cyclist very keen to chat to me about how dangerous he finds road riding! Yeah thanks mate, why are you here then... He'd done a 15 mile trail run earlier in the week, then randomly fainted in his kitchen overnight so was in for a scan. The other guy in for something routine. My other half arrives (had taken my bike home then came back - with my head unit still recording I later enjoyed winding her up about 'doing 100mph' (it was 100kph)). Nurse/x-ray lady leads me away and realises I can't walk... Hadn't really realised myself - still in my damn cleats! Even with them off not walking great. X-ray on right finger, back to x-ray waiting room briefly, then back to normal waiting room. 2 other guys back there too, along with a few other usual A+E 'suspects' you'd expect to see on a saturday mid-morning. Called back to x-ray dept to see results - fracture on fingertip (first bone I've 'broken' in 44 years!), fit a plastic finger cover thing with some tape, given the next size down for when the swelling goes down. Also hear they want to x-ray my leg to be sure... That was hard & painful - lay on it, on top of a elevated plastic hard board pressing against it. That hurt more far more than anything else, even hands & knees after the immediate impact, which did make me worried I had something more going on. Thankfully not and 'all looks good, just a lot of swelling and bruising'. Back to waiting room, via toilet, one less thing to worry about. Around 10 mins later, couple of paracetamol and I'm discharged with instructions to book a visit at the fracture clinic the following Wednesday. :(

Heading home realise the time is 11.20, after getting hit at 8.53. Fair play to the NHS and all the talk about waiting lists - just shows how well they work when things are 'quiet'. Although I didn't really need that much attention, having an ambulance within 40 mins, then through A+E in around 2 hours, including 2 x-rays and seeing 2-3 doctors for various checks and assessments.

Back home I'm swelling up a treat. My right knee on the inside had ballooned up so with a corresponding bruise on the lower right quad figure both sides took the brunt of it. Outside against the car, inside the bike & momentum. Hands (ring fingers) taking the initial impact & probably knee/quad on car wing, rotated over the bonnet - police speak "something 'bullseyed' the windscreen". But they didn't quite know what - my injuries none of them really pointing towards it. The helmet didn't crack so a glancing blow, top of right shoulder, or the mark on my shoulderblade - none of them 'big' enough. So our thinking is possibly the bike when it came over top with me!? Saddle had a massive smack somewhere (twisted and very bent).

I can recall rotating at least once , but it might have been twice to land on my lower torso facing the direction I'd come from. Looking at injuries knees hit the road first, possibly then rolled/hit shoulder (unless that was over the windscreen/bonnet). Main impact being my right leg, ring fingers both hands and my quad.

That's a ******* Roady - hope you're OK and the finger heals up quickly. It wasn't the SL7 was it? You've not long got that all put together :(

I had a close call on Sunday. Bright daylight, I'm wearing a bright pink jersey and riding in the middle of the road.

7jUtBMX.png

This lady was pulling out of that junction. Saw me, as in looked me in the face (something I learned from motorbike days. make eye contact), stopped then as I got closer to the junction she then tried to pull out probably thinking she had time - which she really didn't. Had to slam my brakes on and veer out into the middle of the road to avoid contact. Swear words and a big shake of the head was exchanged.
Yup SL7. I'll go through the damage but suffice to say getting his insurance to completely replace it. Frame & bars easy write offs (smashed/cracked).

Imagine in the screenshot above, I'm in kinda the spot where the top of street light shadow is, car in front turning left, but someone the other way (stationary) then decides to go. :eek:

@Roady sorry to hear that, hope it all goes well and happy birthday for next week :)
Thanks. Birthday was on Sunday, we travelled down Friday to Bracknell then Legoland Windsor on Saturday morning 10am, left there 4pm with some very tired legs! So sunday was a lazy day at home generally catching up with Lego building and the joy of details & receipts for this bike claim... But had a good day & 44th Birthday thanks! :)

Saw your crash ride on Strava Roady. Hope you heal up quick!

Does anyone else dread that wait to find out if some tinkering solved a creaky BB?
Thanks buddy. I've been thought a lot of it and understand where most of mine come from - grit getting in the BB shell from water ingress. Then as I've removed and refitted my BB so many times the shell is now quite worn, making things even worse.

Did go through a phase of using 'sticky' marine type grease at the start - thinking the dirt sticks to the grease rather than washing through into the gap. Worked quite well. Later to try and firm up the BB and seal it more have used 'bearing retainer'. This would have also worked quite well as a seal as 24-48h after fitting it's quite hard/solid and water would be even harder pressed to get through the ever smaller gap. Last time as the retainer didn't hold or last as well as the previous time I actually fitted with some typical plumbers PTFE tape, with same grease and then used retainer on the interface afterwards. Seemed to be ok after several weeks, but also hearing more noises from a bearing which needs replacing will have to get it all apart again!

Then started looking at replacing the Wheelsmfg BB I'm using (BB30-OUT) but they're crazy money now (over double what I paid 5+ years ago).

I've yet to encounter a GPS mount that doesn't rattle like heck! We can put a man on the moon, but can't engineer that!
Mine are good, but I have a habit of sticking some sticky back velcro in the middle of the puck so the head unit compresses it and stays tight.

Anyone got experience with 4iii power meters?

Mine is now giving ridiculous values (2-3000W at zone 2-3). Not able to calibrate with head unit or app, getting error 20. I’ve tried 2 new batteries and not getting anywhere with the troubleshooting. It is covered under warranty (came with bike last October), so will be able to get a replacement if it can’t be fixed. I don’t have a torque wrench that goes above 10 or the tool to remove the cap so ideally want to avoid changing the crank.
Yep. Email them, their support is good and they've have some things to try, but hoopefully just a factory reset/extra calibration will solve.

They where helpful with an old one of mine which did similar - but it wasn't repairable. It had done 3-4 years all weather and I'd bought it off Ebay. They admitted if I'd bought it from them they might be able to offer me some 'recondition' options but as wasn't original owner nor buying from them they couldn't do any more support on an old product. They'd taken me through a couple of different resets and tried installing a different firmware but we couldn't get it to change.

I had used a Stages since, then when buying a PWM for new bike went for a 4iiii again to get a Precision3. I'd consider a Stages and 4iiii very equal in devices. Never had a reason to contact Stages support, but quite glad I went the 4iiii route now...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom