Road Cycling

The Di2 on the Tarmac was all 7100 series (new 105 SD300) with just a 8100 crankset, my older 11 speeds are more mixed... But that's the beauty of 11s Di2 SD30 - you can mix & match! You can't tell me all of your groupsets on your bikes are all the same series, including cranks and cassettes?! Especially with any off the shelf bike. Look closely at model numbers, I bet most bikes spec as Ultegra are using some non-series or 105 parts ;)

Erm. Mostly. Well on my Ican bike anyway since i built it with a Sram Force groupset. Although i did go with a rival cassette as i think it was meant to be harder wearing (and cheaper!)

My Trek MTB is a right mix!

First attempt of cycling hill reps today. Around 70m over 1.5km so nothing too steep, but enough to feel like a decent effort, and quick enough to fly down to the bottom to restart again.

Looking at splits though (the hill is conviniently a Strava Segment) i was progressively slower with each rep so probably need to try and work on pacing better to push harder rather than taking it easy.

First attempt of cycling hill reps today. Around 70m over 1.5km so nothing too steep, but enough to feel like a decent effort, and quick enough to fly down to the bottom to restart again.

Looking at splits though (the hill is conviniently a Strava Segment) i was progressively slower with each rep so probably need to try and work on pacing better to push harder rather than taking it easy.

Just think yourself lucky you didn't melt into a puddle. 35 degrees!

Good effort.
Looks like slow cadence.
Everyone is different and have no idea what’s your best cadence, but see if you could spin bit faster.
Slow cadence kills muscles by burning oxygen in them…faster cadence relies more on your lungs and endurance

Good effort.
Looks like slow cadence.
Everyone is different and have no idea what’s your best cadence, but see if you could spin bit faster.
Slow cadence kills muscles by burning oxygen in them…faster cadence relies more on your lungs and endurance

Yeah it always feels odd to me to be spinning. I was always the same with running too where I’d be around 160rpm vs the magical 180rpm

You've both got me wondering now. What's an "ideal" cadence to be aiming for? Closer to 90? I always found 75-80ish to be relatively comfortable.

Plus i was pretty much in the lowest gear so the only way that cadence is increasing on the hills is by upping power even more :p

I just checked my average cadence up Sa Calobra and it was 75. I think general riding I aim for about 80 to 85, but checking a few recent rides and it's showing around 75, but maybe that includes the zeros too?

I'm normally a fair weather (commuter) cyclist, but opportunities this year have been slim.

Therefore I'm considering taking my road bike out in the rain when our brief summer comes to an end, this will be a real shock for my bike as it's never seen the rain before! :eek:

What bothers me is that part of my commute is a cycle path through a nature reserve which can get quite leafy and muddy.

Before COVID I used to boss through that kind of terrain on my e-mountain bike, but my road bike is a very difficult animal - is there much that can be done to increase confidence, or is it just a case of slowing to crawling pace and sucking it up?

I'm normally a fair weather (commuter) cyclist, but opportunities this year have been slim.

Therefore I'm considering taking my road bike out in the rain when our brief summer comes to an end, this will be a real shock for my bike as it's never seen the rain before! :eek:

What bothers me is that part of my commute is a cycle path through a nature reserve which can get quite leafy and muddy.

Before COVID I used to boss through that kind of terrain on my e-mountain bike, but my road bike is a very difficult animal - is there much that can be done to increase confidence, or is it just a case of slowing to crawling pace and sucking it up?

I would stick some gravel style tyres on it for a bit more grip. You can get ones that don't lose too much to proper road tyres on the road but have that little extra on the side knobbles to help with off road. What width tyre can your bike take.

On an unrelated note, **** doing zone 2 rides outside. Its just absolutely frustrating. I go up and I am pushing 400w in easiest gear. I go down and its almost impossible to stick to a power range. Its all up or down around me!

On an unrelated note, **** doing zone 2 rides outside. Its just absolutely frustrating. I go up and I am pushing 400w in easiest gear. I go down and its almost impossible to stick to a power range. Its all up or down around me!
Sounds like you need another bike, with a triple chainset and a dinnerplate cassette. ;)

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Same as my area, I think the whole zone 2 training thing is a bit over hyped. Just enjoy riding your bike, riding up hills at 400w will build strength and stamina anyhow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom