Road Cycling

If you sit a normal width saddle (143mm) then I can do you a deal on a genuine Power... I've sold 1 new with came with the original SL7, but I'll likely have a new one with the new SL7. I've got a grey one with a yellow S BNIB (although a couple of years old) and at least 2 others used (1 is in use)... Switching to the 155mm width was/is an ongoing project! ;)

Weird, yeah the Mantel website shows things: https://www.mantel.com/pl/continental-grand-prix-5000-s-tr-road-bike-tyre but then when you change your country to UK at the top... Takes you to https://www.mantel.com/uk and says "We're leaving the UK"...?!

Found the Rubino's IV I got for winter pretty uninspiring to ride... But also pretty solid for the money. They're on a buckled and badly dented Fulcrum rim from a pothole. Not tried the softer/premium ones... Found them pretty horrible to mount so not sure what to do with them... They wouldn't go on my usual winter wheel (Zipp 30 Course) but have found the rims tight fitting on other tyres, actually bent a rim mounting them after several days (RIP a dozen tyre levers). Hard but not impossible to mount on the Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels, so they finally got some use after buying them several years previously... Then a few months later badly dinked/dented them on a pot hole. Grr!
Corsa or Corsa Pros usually, good tyre if they're £20 a pop. but then they will be too narrow for you lads :D

Last edited:
I had a Fit in April(?). Was aware of the imbalance before then but not the fact it could be impacting my pedal stroke (I've had fits before including one from the same guy 4-5 years ago), but he was able to show the flex angles on the video/RETUL setup thing on how little my left ankle is bending compared to my right one. We tried some cleat spacers but he said it made my pedal stroke worse, so better to reduce crank length

Total height, inseam (floor to bibs with mild pressure), crank length, current saddle height bb centre to top inline with st? How far off 50/50 do you normally register do you know? Yes, shims don't work for many people as their legs don't measure differently in bone length and any difference is driven from pelvic and muscle imbalance, incorrect setup or a combination of the two. The problem is why the imbalance exists and can it be fixed.

Total height, inseam (floor to bibs with mild pressure), crank length, current saddle height bb centre to top inline with st? How far off 50/50 do you normally register do you know? Yes, shims don't work for many people as their legs don't measure differently in bone length and any difference is driven from pelvic and muscle imbalance, incorrect setup or a combination of the two. The problem is why the imbalance exists and can it be fixed.
Oooooh, you do want the works... My favourite colour is blue, I like short walks and generally Belgian beers but will drink anything. Height is 172cm, hmmm inseam is 80/81cm but that's not in bibs with pressure, will check. Cranks I'm now on 170cm. Saddle height from BB centre I've been measuring to saddle middle (72cm) and a fore/aft (setback) I generally run 8cm but that's with the snub nose of the Specialized Power. I tend to measure this from middle of handlebars (with 10cm stem) as 55ish and tend to drift it +/- 1cm by feel (with my turbo slightly more upright than outdoors).

Balance isn't something I've measured myself recently. I used to have a dual sided PM and was usually 49/51 and think worst I saw from general riding was no worse than 48/52. I don't recall it during my fit but know Matt looked at it and wasn't mentioned so must have been around the same/standard.

The stretches/mobility of the fit Matt noticed it before I even got on the bike. Think a tighter hamstring on the left than the right (I have exercises to improve but have to admit I've not really done them... Yet!). He's said it was likely minor, so my rocking on the saddle (riding usual 143mm wide saddle) was my adaption to it. Along with having slightly shorter legs for my height - I'd had the fit to see if a 52 cm frame would fit me better than 54cm, but he was convinced a 54 is correct, but to go shorter cranks to shorten the pedal stroke to compensate and promote more ankle mobility. He was quite surprised how close I'd got my own fit/adjustments on my 54cm Diverge over the 7 years since purchasing (only dropped my saddle a few mm). But did also identify using 45cm bars when I should be on 40cm or 42cm as I've narrow shoulders too. Especially when moving to the Tarmac - have the flexibility to ride it with standard 10cm stem, so going narrower to get me even more aero :D

If it ain't at least 28c is it even rideable? Sounds like a track tyre or just a thrill seeker to me.
I was about to comment 'buns of steel'! :D

This is the one I ordered. It was £28 at the time, so a little higher now.
Thanks, did it come branded Ryet?

They tend to be the brand getting some recognition and positive reviews. Still no direct wider/155cm but they do seem to size as 140/150 on different items which look the same rather than 143/155 so guess the 150 is what I should be looking for...

I don't post much in this thread as most of my riding these days is on my Tacx bike on Zwift however I have signed up for a 3 day charity ride in November, organised by my wifes boss. We've done a few training rides with them and the Mrs had to get a new bike so I eventually got myself one a couple of weeks ago. Bough from FB Marketplace off a guy that says he has ridden it loads although on evidence I think he was lying. 2021 Cervelo S5 still with its original tyres on. I took it for a bike fit at my local Specialized dealer and did the full body geometry thing and it has changed the way I ride. Used the same measurements on my zwift bike and it has eliminated numbness.

I'm coming from a 10 year old Trek Madone 5.2, mechanical Ultegra with rim brakes, running skinny little tyres on a pair of Zipp 202's. It's been a great bike, it's super light and has never felt slow however I slapped some 28mm Conti 5000 TRs on the Cervelo this morning and took it out in anger for the first time. Unbelievable difference. Did my usual Sunday morning route along beach road, a ride I have likely done almost 100 times, sometimes towing the Mrs, sometimes with mates and sometimes on the back of a very quick peloton. I did half of it this morning alone and got 29 medals on Strava, was going through segments at 40+kmh average speed. The thing is quick!

Gratuitous photo at pit lane at Albert Park GP track on a Melbourne Winter morning below.

Last edited:
I took it for a bike fit at my local Specialized dealer and did the full body geometry thing and it has changed the way I ride. Used the same measurements on my zwift bike and it has eliminated numbness.

What did they adjust, they've only got the seat hight and saddle position to change on the S5 haven't they :p

They are quick bikes for sure and they just look fast as well. What do you think of the di2 on it? If you have any questions about it just ask @Junglist, hes our resident expert.

Putting in some powerful numbers on those sectors as well!

Happy to answer any questions but I just truly believe mechanical offers the better experience so I'm sticking with it...

Edit: Though in what could be positive news the solicitors believe our house we are trying to sell abroad should hopefully sell this side of Christmas. So if that's the case hopefully I'll be able to join the cool-bike-club by the Spring... One can hope!

Though I've done so little cycling the last few weeks I'm not sure I deserve it!

Last edited:
weather looks okay for tomorrow, so as long I won't oversleep, will be doing LDN- Brighton-LDN.
approx 210-220 km for me
WELVvTB.png

What did they adjust, they've only got the seat hight and saddle position to change on the S5 haven't they :p
Yep, just the seat height. I could have explained it better earlier. My current bike set up (which I had mimicked on my training bike) the bar and the seat height are almost the same height. I have done crossfit for years, every movement starts with your shoulder blades back and down, which the coaches always remind you of, and I rode the same way which effectively made my back straight but that puts a lot of pressure on your nether regions as well as not being the best way to transfer power. With the fitting for this bike due to the fixed stem height, he has lifted the seat higher than the bars which forces me to tuck my hips in and under a bit, bending my back and putting me in a better position for power and comfort. I've transferred this position to my zwift bike and it has stopped me getting numb down below. Early days but it seems to be working and that improvement in power figures from fridays ride is encouraging.

Back
Top Bottom