Road Cycling

As posted in 'images of new purchases thread' - new cycling shoes (Van Rysel) and an AliExpress 3d printed seat...

cVro6IW.jpeg

YOVBaTU.jpeg

First proper ride today, both seemed okay. Still not sure my £10 DHB shoes aren't more comfortable, but they have laces, which are just annoying. I guess these VR will wear and become a little softer and more comfortable with use.

Didn't know that about the SL8! thanks, as above not fussed about integration, having 2 hoses on display for 3etap is nothing, and know the pains of running semi internal on the Canyon for hoses is a pain. Think will be sticking with the Giant, although another spanner in the works from the insurance comapny that they want a bike by bike quote, further delaying the payout.
Yeah to be fair I like the integration, but the 4 cables of the Diverge front end when mechanical always bugged me, switching to Di2 and the 1 easy to hide wire alleviated much of it even with the 2 hydraulic hoses still showing. I do like the integration on the SL7 - messed with it first hand as the Comp comes without integrated bars and I swapped them to internal. Didn't seem bad, just fiddly and tight to get 'right'. But lets be honest - hydraulic hoses are not something we mess with very much, almost 'fit & forget' unlike mechanical outers which you need to mess with every year or two...

I love the look of integration so for me it is something I wanted. But now I have it aside from the very miniscule/minor watt/aero gains it is really the trade-off of fit/hassle against aesthetics. An easy thing to save money/limiting choice by not having. In my opinion it's not something I'd knowingly spend a lot of money on just for a tidier look at the front end (although will admit I've done just that)!

Current gen TCR is fully integrated. Currently keeping an eye out for some discounts/savings on compatible bars/stem for when my warranty replacement arrives in September.
Oh I know, it looks very tidy too - but also not seen one 'in the flesh' or discussed with LBS spanner monkeys on just how good the setup is. I know they hate the Trek one (although I always thought that one looked good too with it's modular approach!). I bet they're much of a muchness these days, but my only experience of them is with my SL7 (and looking at an SL8 and it looked the same)

@Roady

By checking, you can see the chafing, you can see the minor red pimple like irritations before they start worsening and become a sore, you can see pressure imbalance, you can monitor the healing of them if you have them. If you know you get them and ride consecutive days, you can tell after day one if it's likely to worsen and then make a decision on if riding is worthwhile. It takes away any guessing.

What's your imbalance like between legs on dual sided pm? I can probably help.
I had a Fit in April(?). Was aware of the imbalance before then but not the fact it could be impacting my pedal stroke (I've had fits before including one from the same guy 4-5 years ago), but he was able to show the flex angles on the video/RETUL setup thing on how little my left ankle is bending compared to my right one. We tried some cleat spacers but he said it made my pedal stroke worse, so better to reduce crank length

I've only been back on a bike for a year, a good 25 year absence And bro sent me it yesterday. Am I forgiven :D
Yes! But take most of them with a pinch of salt. Fun to poke them at newbies, but then evolve as they become believers!

Cheers, i did have a bike fit back in April which did help some elements. The odd thing really is that i've never had sores up until around 2 weeks ago. I think it's the ramp up in temperature and just general dampness. I'm sitting on the sofa in the evenings and then getting up and skin feels clammy/boxers damp with sweat. Combined that with similar when sat at my desk (current office temp is 38C) although i'm making the effort to stand more to reduce the heat buildup.
Toasty! Defo sort that office situation out, 38 degrees is grim - know first hand! Villa had been shut up all day without AC on when we got there at 2am, it felt like an oven! Even with 4 AC units set at 16 degrees it took 30 mins to be even bearable. Outdoor temps the first few days of Cyprus over 40 degrees, evening/nights not much below 30 and I bet the AC units didn't get it below 25. Was too hot for me to sleep well until the daytime had dropped to 36-38 and then the night-time under AC would have been below 20. :eek:

How many of us are putting our orifice in the hands of the AliExpress gods? My saddle is still going really well and I’ve done 2500km, maybe more, on it indoor/outdoor.

Though if they do all shatter. I’m not being blamed for suggesting them!

Last edited:
How many of us are putting our orifice in the hands of the AliExpress gods? My saddle is still going really well and I’ve done 2500km, maybe more, on it indoor/outdoor.

until you sort the new bike out, you are to be blamed for anything that goes wrong on this forum..just sayin... ;)

Which did you buy from Ali? Been wondering about a saddle change

As posted in 'images of new purchases thread' - new cycling shoes (Van Rysel) and an AliExpress 3d printed seat...

YOVBaTU.jpeg
Got the direct link to that saddle mate? Looks a direct copy of the Power. I struggled to find them, in 155m width last time I looked (without it also not being a Power copy).

I didn't get one, as picked up a S/H original Power for my turbo setup, but now looking again...

Just a heads up for anyone who wants some high end tyres at (semi) reasonable prices.

Good shout and good price (49.95). Ribble also similar price. I paid £56 a couple of weeks back from Lordgun - but wanted the coloured sidewalls. Also took 6 days to arrive and had emails in italian from @posteitaliane.it so was dreading getting caught in customs.

Previously was paying 46-48 from Mantel but they've 'Left the UK' and don't ship here anymore (they came from Germany). My LBS would only price match Sigma for them (£65) for my new bike, so I got the tyres myself (actually dropping them off later today as it happens!)

Long gone are the days of good tyres for £20 :(
Agreed, but at least they're a decent amount below what we paid in Covid times!

I can remember not buying GP5000 TR (non-S) for £92 and going for the Pirelli P-Zero Race for £65 with PAS branding as they where 10 quid cheaper than the normal branded. So think 70-80 was quite normal for tyres! :eek:

Last edited:
I didn't get one, as picked up a S/H original Power for my turbo setup, but now looking again...

Honestly, they're worth the risk and experiment. I'm probably going to order one similar to the power and if I get along with it when I EVENTUALLY get around to getting a new bike I may buy the real deal. Though I love the look of the Bjorn saddles too.
Previously was paying 46-48 from Mantel but they've 'Left the UK' and don't ship here anymore (they came from Germany). My LBS would only price match Sigma for them (£65) for my new bike, so I got the tyres myself (actually dropping them off later today as it happens!)

They still ship to us. I ordered my GP5000s TR tyres from them a month or so ago

My RYET Carbon 3D aliexpress has surrived 6 months, 2800km and is still going strong. When my bike went in for its service the mechanic was intrested in the saddle and hes now brought one as well.

Last edited:
Honestly, they're worth the risk and experiment. I'm probably going to order one similar to the power and if I get along with it when I EVENTUALLY get around to getting a new bike I may buy the real deal. Though I love the look of the Bjorn saddles too.

They still ship to us. I ordered my GP5000s TR tyres from them a month or so ago
If you sit a normal width saddle (143mm) then I can do you a deal on a genuine Power... I've sold 1 new with came with the original SL7, but I'll likely have a new one with the new SL7. I've got a grey one with a yellow S BNIB (although a couple of years old) and at least 2 others used (1 is in use)... Switching to the 155mm width was/is an ongoing project! ;)

Weird, yeah the Mantel website shows things: https://www.mantel.com/pl/continental-grand-prix-5000-s-tr-road-bike-tyre but then when you change your country to UK at the top... Takes you to https://www.mantel.com/uk and says "We're leaving the UK"...?!

I seem to have Vittoria on most of the time now. high TPI, nice and supple but then I don't run Tubeless.
Found the Rubino's IV I got for winter pretty uninspiring to ride... But also pretty solid for the money. They're on a buckled and badly dented Fulcrum rim from a pothole. Not tried the softer/premium ones... Found them pretty horrible to mount so not sure what to do with them... They wouldn't go on my usual winter wheel (Zipp 30 Course) but have found the rims tight fitting on other tyres, actually bent a rim mounting them after several days (RIP a dozen tyre levers). Hard but not impossible to mount on the Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels, so they finally got some use after buying them several years previously... Then a few months later badly dinked/dented them on a pot hole. Grr!

Back
Top Bottom