Road Cycling

Soldato
Sigh. How long does it take to get discharged? So incredibly bored.

On the afternoon of 1st January 2014, I was positively begging to be discharged, having been in since the morning of 23rd December 2013. I was desperate to get home, more than anything because they moved me in to a ward with old age pensioners on New Years Eve and I failed to get any sleep until ~0530 because the poor blokes were having various issues all through the night!

The possibility of discharge had been made a day previous after my second operation and I kept begging until they finally got the on-call doctor to release me.

I then had another ~2 months recovery at home (weekends) and at Wessex Rehab Centre "midweek) before I could work and a little while longer until I could cycle again, but that's another dull tale.;)

Soldato
I love waffa-pink but even I think those Zipp decals are a step too far.:p
Need to frame this.
Guy who rides with our club has those on a Trek Madone, weighs something like 5.8kg even with his srm and everything on. They are a thing of beauty. I keep suggesting he should allow us to put them on one of the Carrera TDFs that some of the lads ride :D
Lolworthy, especially considering the Madone isn't exactly known as a light frame :rolleyes:

What's his excuse?!

The everesting challenge calculator looks nice. Not that I'm considering it!
Just tried Broomfield Hill in Richmond Park.
vP8hxM2.png
Lol! Neat little tool. 42 ascents of my local 'wall' (don't think I could do double figures lol). Only 13 ascents of another climb I want to see if I can tackle, but unsure if passable without knobbly tyres... :eek:
I then had another ~2 months recovery at home (weekends) and at Wessex Rehab Centre "midweek) before I could work and a little while longer until I could cycle again, but that's another dull tale.;)
Ouch :/

Yeah whatever stories I've read about, the recovery always sounds worse than any accident. Physio and willpower tend to be the driving factors, each enabling you to keep progressing and pushing on! Tiny steps!

Than again, a collarbone like FT's is best to have an operation on - so it can heal in it's own time. I remember when my dad broke his shoulderblade (no operation as there's very little they could do with the kind of break). It took him many weeks to get any real movement and then another 6 months before he could really put any power through it. :eek::(

Soldato
Yeah Emonda is the light one. Madone is the aero & Domane is the sportive/endurance.

I bet he doesn't even ride hills? ;) Crazy money for some wheels!

Soldato
He's a pretty strong rider tbh. Hedge Fund Manager, so explains the bike. Also has a Parlee in his stable now.
Ah that does explain it. Slightly! What's a Parlee... :eek:
25c today, we're off to do the Calobra again.:D
Enjoy! Jealous!
It's Baltic here. I can't wait for my new Gore gloves to arrive.
Cool here too, 7-8 degrees but overcast and the wind making it feel much cooler. Not that you'll have a problem with the Gore but I'm wearing these and can't fault them (got them in sale for £20). From around 2-3 degrees all the way through to 14-15 if you need long fingered.

Quick commute in this morning as the mrs is off work, still used the cycle path and didn't dig tht hard so quite pleased. 9 minutes.

Any suggestions for a front flasher type light? I want flashes of 100 lumen or more, weatherproof & usb charging with a runtime of 12+ hours. I have been waiting for the Exposure Trace to come back into stock on Wiggle (as I love my TraceR) but getting bored of waiting now... Oh, it needs a wide visible front arc (a 'be seen light') and to be small... And no Knog.

Last edited:
Soldato
Received my first visit from the puncture fairy on the road bike... in 7250 miles or so I guess I might have been overdue one.. (or more!)

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
You should get a deal mate, just get one... :p

Too soon?

I went for these: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/gore-bike-wear-universal-windstopper-r-gloves-543339

I wanted bright (I wear mainly black most the time, crap lighting round here so I've got bright gloves, overshoes and new jacket) and padded, too. A lot of the ones I'd seen looked warm but lacked the padding of my fingerless mavics.

50 euros?! That's like £300 these days.

edit: Temptation to just get on the bike is high tbh :p

Soldato
Lucky!

I've repaired/helped to repair 11 punctures roadside this year. Only 6 of them my own!

Yeah, I've helped to repair a few in that time though and plenty of MTB punctures! I was so glad to have my co2 on me this morning though... really wouldn't have felt like pumping to 80psi so early.

Back
Top Bottom