Road Cycling

Man of Honour
OP
I've managed to bag a cheap second hand Genesis CDF, pick it up next week!

After today's ride it will be very welcomed, another 5 bergs off the list. Nearly done Flanders region now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1289893730

Also, any winter boot recommendations (SPD), I'll be commuting on the CDF.

Check out the Specialized range of winter SPD boots. They're meant to be very good. Avoid the Sidi range (for winter boots at least). I love the summer Sidi shoes I have but the winter ones aren't that great at being winter boots. Warm but not waterproof.

Man of Honour
OP
Any recommendations for a new HRM? The Garmin one that I was using seems to be dead (tried with three different batteries including a new one - nothing). It's just the basic one that came with my Garmin 705 years ago.

It certainly chose its moment to go. Just raced the WBR 10km on Zwift, and managed to come out top in Cat B despite usually hanging out in the middle/back on the longer races. Turns out one of the rules is "Category winners must wear a HRM" and so I'm not classified in the final results :( Only two places behind Ed Bradbury on the unfiltered results, though :D

Agreed with other suggestions if moving to TickR. I did and it's a lot less daffy than my old Garmin HRM.

However...I had issues with battery changes on my Garmin which were resolved by "resetting" it by shorting the sensors with a wire for a few seconds. Or something like that. Google the exact method. It sounds likely to be your issue.

Man of Honour
OP
Got out for my first 100 miler in absolutely ages yesterday. Wow, I am unfit. Nice to get out though and the sunburn on my arms should hopefully help me start to get my tanlines back. Those are more important than fitness anyhow ;)

Man of Honour
OP
I feel your pain, rotor rub here too, the loosening "trick" failed here on both my old and new wheels. But mine cures itself when I get out of the saddle for climbs... Usually!

Must order some new pads for my BR505 hydraulics, thinking about ordering one resin and one sintered metal, probably from CRC (£19 before BC discount, if I can get around to finding another £61+ of gear I could do with) to see how the different materials behave. And will then have another play with the rotors during installation, including pushing the pistons back in to accommodate the thicker new pads.

Don't bother with sintered. They're cack. Semi-metallic are okay but after years of being on discs I'm increasingly leaning towards just using organics and putting up with having to change them more regularly when it's wet.

Back
Top Bottom