Road Cycling

Permabanned
Have blistered myself like that being caught out without suncream. Never making that mistake again! I imagine it will be even worse today and quote sore, hope it heals soon Jonny. :)

Soldato
Glad I'm not the only one!

The two next to each other have now combined to make a super blister. Can feel the bloody thing wiggle about.

Raging with myself as I could have popped home and put some on after meeting the guy, now I might not make it out for Tuesday nights apr thing to try my new tyres.

Soldato
That's 3 road bikes now isn't it :D Is each one getting progressively more expensive?

Yes, i tend to do things this way - i bought a cheapo to see if i liked road biking, liked it, went for an upgrade - nice the Defy 1 but not something that absolutely blows me away.

I think this Trek is the end of my upgrade journey.

Soldato
Epic day out yesterday and my first century ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1008506182

Run known as "5 ferries" - as you need to get 5 ferries:D

It's a run that needs a lot of good timing and a bit of luck with the weather etc. Basically left house at 7.30 to make the first ferry, then most of the legs in between aren't that long but they are very tight time wise to make the next ferry. Some serious chaingang needed. If you miss one your day gets bumped even longer as you need to get the one after that.

Chuffed to get the 110 miles in, that was one of my goals for the year to do a century ride. Felt not to bad most of the way round. We did get absolutely soaked for about 40 mins in a torrential downpour but the sun came back out and a little breeze and we dried off fairly quickly.

New kit in full force yesterday and worked well drying out.

A bit sore legged this morning but nothing to bad.

Ll73e_A3_UAu_d3ur_Tw6_C1f_GXip_XIFTXMc3_Ubq_IUiqvug-2048.jpg

Caporegime
I'm on holiday in Llandudno with my family and mother in law. The powers that be have benevolently allowed me to bring a bike in the name of riding on the promenade with the kids whose bikes we have also brought.

Anyway... I got up and rode 22 miles this morning, past Conwy and up the valley of whatever river it is back to Penrhyn and along the front back to where we're staying. It's very windy here and there's lots of climbing to do! I was also plagued by mechanical issues, probably as the bike is still bedding in. I dropped the chain off both the top and bottom at the front and suffered with terrible indexing at the back. I had to stop 4 times to fiddle. Things were just about right by the time I got to the last 3 miles!! I found I had my rear disc brake stuck on, so that sucked, though now that I've got my discs properly adjusted they're doing a great job on the stopping front, so that's good. SRAM shifting is still a bit weird, but I only mis-shifted twice in the course of the ride so I'm getting there.

I'm hoping to get up the great orme at some point, like off the tour of Britain a few years back. Was it terpstra who won that year? Edit: no, it was van baarle, another Dutchman.

Man of Honour
https://www.strava.com/activities/1008467011

Did my long ride yesterday with Ben :) Really enjoyed it, first time I didn't feel like I was riding at a pace that would have bored Ben. I managed to shave 3 minutes off my Aston Hill time, would have been more if I didn't stop at the top thinking I'd finished with Ben shouting at me to keep going to finish the segment :p

But was really played. The first half of the journey to Chinnor was very comfortable, the pace and the climbs were nice and I felt good. Ben as always was a gent and gave me tips when needed, and helped set me up well for a good Aston run.

The way home however was grim, my average speed took a nice hit due to a very uncomfortable headwind :( by the end of the ride I was really suffering as I just couldn't get any speed down thanks to the wind.

Can't wait to do my first century ride now :p

Soldato
I had 2 hours of headwind to meet Steedie at his in Didcot, whilst trying to stay Z1/Z2 power/HR you can under stand why I was a little late :p

https://www.strava.com/activities/1008393599

Comfortable weather and always good to explore some new roads.

Steedie's coming on pretty well having only been riding about a month or so now, even if he does get lost! Should be pretty respectable once he shifts a bit of weight and builds some endurance ;)

Also to add, total calorie intake on that ride was ~250 from a very small banana and then nut/date based bar. So around 10g fat and 20-30g carbs. Have been in a calorie deficit for around 2.5 weeks now and rode on both Thursday (relatively intensely) and Friday (Z1/Z2) taking significant 'unders' from both rides so far from glycogen loaded. Had about 6-700 calories at lunch before setting off.

If I hadn't had wanted to ride the first climb at sweetspot and then done a silly sprint towards the end :p I probably wouldn't have needed to eat to be fair and did so more as a precaution. Blood sugar levels felt fine though, of course I took plenty of food with me because it would have been stupid not to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went off to Surrey early yesterday morning for a long ride covering 17 of the hills in the area. I think I'd touched every one of them before but lacing them altogether certainly makes for an interesting ride. Ended up with a 127 mile, 10,600ft day. 13 hours out of the house - a lot of stops for the group, pub/cafe stops but all in a pretty good day out. I was nursing my small chainring hoping it wouldn't eject me from the bike under a tough load up the steep climbs. As a result I didn't get out of the saddle for any of them just in case it decided to chuck me over the bars. By the end of the ride the noise had stopped and I could only just about feel it under some pretty tough pressure... so I'm guessing I managed to successfully wear the new chain to match it.. :D I'll be sorting out a 52/36 chainset soon.. half considering going all the way and getting an FSA Powerbox!

Fairly casual pace all the way round. It's amazing how much easier some of these climbs can feel on fresher legs without pushing it beforehand!

Hz5oCW9.png
https://www.strava.com/activities/1008496799

Soldato
I was lucky enough to take this custom build venge vias out today and my god it was good! I'm completely sold on e-tap, it was ultra quick and didn't seem to have any issues with changing under load. I will say though, after riding quite a few "high end" bikes recently...i really don't know if its worth the £8000 price tag! Then again i'm far from qualified to get anywhere near the bikes full potential.

FrLRMZ9.jpg

Soldato
The S-Works Vias is a seriously nice bike. For your £8k it also comes with a crank based power meter and a custom bike fit (pre-ordering).

Back
Top Bottom