Road Cycling

Soldato
Freezing fog this morning, 'joy' of the moisture gathering on my lenses and then seeing it as ice when wiping it away. :rolleyes:

p2QnKqe.jpg

My short time intervals are pretty pants, I need to work on sprint power. I'm much better at longer power intervals, hence why I want to get into time trailing.
Solid numbers regardless! Then again the pace/distance rides you where knocking out last year on the weekends (while probably jetlagged) where impressive so I'm not overly surprised! When did you start riding fairly seriously? Natural ability?

We will see where life goes! Have holiday plans at least.
You're about the only person I know who's come back, have around half a dozen friends/acquaintance (known friends of friends) on Facebook who're now pretty much Oz citizens and hundreds of others who've been for long 'working' trips out there. Including a mates ex girlfriend who's turned into some extreme fitness coach & bodybuilder the last 12 months and I barely recognised when she was last back. I remember her being chubby lol :o

Does anyone else feel like their brakes are rubbing this week?
Yep, well mine where earlier in the week as discs & wet & mud & cold = noises! :rolleyes:

Have a few freinds who are doing RED Jaunuary (Run Every Day) so I've decided I'll give it a go myself and but I'll either run/ride.
I'm doing Red January too, it's called finishing the Port & Red wine left over from Xmas. xD

I've allowed myself a little lull in training over Xmas and new year - some effort is going to be required to sharpen up for March as I've booked a sportive. Then possibly I could be trying a few races in April. :eek:
MMH?

See how you fare holding your roadie power crunched up in to a ball on the extensions :p Solid numbers though so it's also all about the aero, and the pacing :)
Very valid. I'm still struggling with it but mine is probably position more than anything.

I naturally find myself pushing a harder gear at 80-85 rpm on the extensions and the only way I can settle into higher cadence comfortably is to rest loads of weight on my elbows barely using the saddle. Almost feels like the saddle needs to be higher as I'll be hitting myself in the chest with my knees?! I've found the power ok, not really lost any noticabably, but equally not done any really long sessions in tuck as sure my position isn't right (it's using totally different muscles so uncomfortable & fatigue quickly).

Soldato
Errrr.....I probably got into cycling seriously a few years ago. I've always had relatively strong legs from a kid though, as I BMXed and skateboarded a lot. The latter probably helped a lot as you're effectively just jumping up and down all day!

Soldato
Gorgon in Inhumans? Damn, how bad was that MARVEL TV series, about the only really dire one from the franchise?

EDIT: Quiet in here today, everyone must be busy! :D

I'm stuck trying to understand Microsoft Flow & integration with Dynamics NAV 2018. Have spent the last couple of days getting to grips with them in 2017 (with only 2016 instructions!) to then hear when our system goes live we'll be using 2018 and it all changes again (into O365 Flow from Dynamics Workflows). FFS! :rolleyes:

Have a good weekend all! Some good Zwift base miles for me are in order as I was late getting back last saturday after a social ride and 'Got in Bad Books' (tm). Have my eye on the next CVR race on tuesday so will maybe do some SST or O/U work too, but shouldn't really race...

Last edited:
Soldato
Did my first ride of the year today and it was a real chore with my heart rate a lot higher than usual as I’ve been loafing on a beach in Thailand and eating too much for the past couple of weeks. It’s surprising how much harder work it feels when you have some time off with no excercise.

Soldato
You're about the only person I know who's come back, have around half a dozen friends/acquaintance (known friends of friends) on Facebook who're now pretty much Oz citizens and hundreds of others who've been for long 'working' trips out there. Including a mates ex girlfriend who's turned into some extreme fitness coach & bodybuilder the last 12 months and I barely recognised when she was last back. I remember her being chubby lol :o

How long have they been there for? We lived there for over 5 years. It’s a long time starting from nothing.

It’s also a long way back to England and a long time. You miss a lot if you have friends here, birthdays, weddings, funerals, Christmas (unless you sacrifice all your money & holidays).

We both had good jobs that paid quite well but not careers I would say. One of my best mates got a new job and moved away (he moved back at xmas!) so I was a bit bummed out. I liked where we lived but was getting a bit fed up of work and no other local alternative that would pay the salary, so a move in the state or interstate would mean giving up all the friends and links you have built up plus $$$ moving costs.

Soldato
Did my first ride of the year today and it was a real chore with my heart rate a lot higher than usual as I’ve been loafing on a beach in Thailand and eating too much for the past couple of weeks. It’s surprising how much harder work it feels when you have some time off with no excercise.

I actually think it's more psychological than physical, your brain can't get over the shock of what's happening when you've had a long break and get back on the bike.

Soldato
So I tend to ride country lanes late at night and always had this thought in the back of my head "what if I was to get a puncture in the pitch black while in the middle of nowhere?" Well... now I know the answer, it sucks! Things went further downhill when I wiped my filthy hands on the grass and found the remains of the hawthorn hedge that must have been cut back months prior :mad:

On a related note- any advice on 35-40mm 'gravel' type tyres? Currently got Schwalbe CX Comps which actually ride pretty well but they are only level 3 (K-Guard) on the Schwalbe scale of puncture protection and as primarily a winter machine I can't be doing with sorting punctures in the cold and dark! My riding is 95% road but by road I mean the lanes of rural Norfolk so broken tarmac, covered in little flints and more often than not coated in a layer of slimy mud which is why I'm after a bit of tread. Current favourite is some Schwalbe G-One Allround but not sure what else to consider. WTB Nano's are generally well regarded but I'm not sure on puncture resistance.

Soldato
I actually think it's more psychological than physical, your brain can't get over the shock of what's happening when you've had a long break and get back on the bike.

I did quite a bit of reading on the beach whilst on holiday and being a sad git, I read a bit on physiology of people that excercise. Apparently, for people that excercise, they require more oxygen the fitter you get. To get round that the body generates greater blood volume so you can carry more oxygen around your system. When you stop excercising for a while, the increased blood volume reduces again quite quickly.

When you start excercising again, your fitness doesn’t really drop that much in say two weeks but because of the drop in blood volume your heart has to work that bit more harder to supply the same required amount of oxygen which is why after a lay off, you find your heart rate is usually quite a bit higher. Your blood volume increases back to its previous level pretty quickly so after 2 or 3 sessions it should feel like it was before the break.

Soldato
I've allowed myself a little lull in training over Xmas and new year - some effort is going to be required to sharpen up for March as I've booked a sportive. Then possibly I could be trying a few races in April. :eek:
That 72 miles in March is going to hurt if you don’t get back on the bike ASAP :p

Soldato
That 72 miles in March is going to hurt if you don’t get back on the bike ASAP :p

I'm getting back into training starting tomorrow. :)

If it rains again honestly I think that'll be the last MMH or MSH I do, I know they can't control the weather but my patience wore thin in Sept.

You booked in?

Soldato
I'm getting back into training starting tomorrow. :)

If it rains again honestly I think that'll be the last MMH or MSH I do, I know they can't control the weather but my patience wore thin in Sept.

You booked in?
I remember the weather for the March event being worse than the one in September.
I’m not entering through the website. My cycling club (Dynamic Rides) is a supporting sponsor so I will join up with the group.

Soldato
52 miles this morning on the cx bike! Absolutely shattered! Amazing how the same time on the road pales into insignificance when you go off road. Just your all over body effort seems to double!

Soldato
I'm up to 177 miles and 14000 feet elevation gain this week (which I think are both new weekly records for me)... And not a single second of it has been outdoors, making the most of my Zwift free trial, getting destroyed in races and climbing virtual hills for fun. :D

Soldato
52 miles this morning on the cx bike! Absolutely shattered! Amazing how the same time on the road pales into insignificance when you go off road. Just your all over body effort seems to double!
Yeah 1 hour at Swinley at normal road heart rate effort can make me feel pretty tired. At some point this year I'll do some of the SDW. Likely downs link then join the SDW and on into Eastbourne. I hoped to do it last year but injury got in the way of that and then we ran out of good weather and enough daylight hours!

I've felt like my pedals have been difficult to push over the last week especially from standstill. I fitted new wheels, new cassette, new chain, new (second hand) derailleur the other week. The upper jockey wheel seemed a little stiff at the time so I cleaned it up and it span better. I didn't quite realise how worn it was... inspected it today and it required quite a bit of effort to push with fingers... and well it's rather a different shape to my old derailleur's jockey wheel which has done 19500 miles itself!

How many watts has this been costing me?!

hX2Flvo.png

Soldato
Yeah 1 hour at Swinley at normal road heart rate effort can make me feel pretty tired. At some point this year I'll do some of the SDW. Likely downs link then join the SDW and on into Eastbourne. I hoped to do it last year but injury got in the way of that and then we ran out of good weather and enough daylight hours!

I've felt like my pedals have been difficult to push over the last week especially from standstill. I fitted new wheels, new cassette, new chain, new (second hand) derailleur the other week. The upper jockey wheel seemed a little stiff at the time so I cleaned it up and it span better. I didn't quite realise how worn it was... inspected it today and it required quite a bit of effort to push with fingers... and well it's rather a different shape to my old derailleur's jockey wheel which has done 19500 miles itself!

How many watts has this been costing me?!

hX2Flvo.png
Sdw Is great! Love doing any part of it, but the bit down your way is glorious!

18w approx :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom