Road Cycling

Soldato
Problem down here by the sounds of things is it's all flat circuits for 4ths races, so unless you can sprint you struggle to get out and it is full of nutters, so loads of crashes. Very few road races down here, and they're all e/1/2.
Similar to here, although they're the two extremes. The race clubs tend to ride crits in Llandow, Stourport and Maindy (Cardiff) which are obviously flat circuits, then the road races (maybe 4-5 a year) tend to be very rolling terrain (Astley, Victor B, Kalas, Severn Bridge, Bristol South). Even the local 'flat' courses are anything but! The road races do tend to be E1/2/3 (and sometimes) 4 whereas the crits are by CAT. There are several road race leagues which all slightly overlap in the West Mids so riders/clubs will ride in several of them.

Indeed I did, really pleased with myself. I only lost my 18mph average in the last 5 miles I think, was starting to tire. In the end my Garmin had me at 17.9 mph, Strava 17.8mph. So there's next year's goal sorted!
Good going considering all the track and otherwise lack of hills you've been doing :)

So this broke me - https://www.relive.cc/view/1799506225

What a beautiful ride though. First time doing those kinds of distances and also riding in the alps. Can't wait to do another holiday like it!
For anyone bored of relive.cc links that ones not so bad, it actually has elevation! The UK ones are rubbish! Although annoyingly it rotates around so can't see the hairpins of the col du pre! :(

Found your Strava link so sent you a req. Fantastic ride, route and pictures. Put the pics on Strava/somewhere for a better look at them please bud! :)

I usually ignore the relive emails but it's reminded me I didn't check it for the Wendelstein Rundfahrt a couple of weeks back. Certainly more interesting than reliving a flat London ride!
That ones good too, almost anything from a UK activity is boring - just not enough elevation!

Yep - I rode it without a stop :)
I was the first person back and looking at the overall timings the next person was 28 mins back.
Machine as always! Are you the Mad Hare Annual Champion again? Defended your title? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
For anyone bored of relive.cc links that ones not so bad, it actually has elevation! The UK ones are rubbish! Although annoyingly it rotates around so can't see the hairpins of the col du pre! :(

Found your Strava link so sent you a req. Fantastic ride, route and pictures. Put the pics on Strava/somewhere for a better look at them please bud! :)

Ah that was my friends relive - I have just requested a follow on Strava - I'm James :) Loads of pictures of the ride on strava between myself and Aref, theres another couple of good rides on there from that trip too. CDP was hard, but the morning after we did the glandon / croix de fer which was brutal.

Associate
So it seems putting my old bike on a trainer requires a tweek.
Gears don’t seem to locate properly on some of the cassette.
Am I right in thinking.
1. Shift down to smallest cog and adjust little screw to stop it directly under.
2. Repeat above for the largest cog
3. Check spacing between large cog and mech and adjust to 5-6mm( with third screw)
That ‘should’ do it?

Soldato
That'll set up all the limits correctly so the chain doesnt drop off the top or bottom of the cassette.
You'll still need to adjust the cable tension to get the actual shifting aligned.

Associate
That'll set up all the limits correctly so the chain doesnt drop off the top or bottom of the cassette.
You'll still need to adjust the cable tension to get the actual shifting aligned.

Great thanks Touch. Lots to learn but unless you tinker you never will

Soldato
This was another relive that has just come through for this ride . Was so tough after the massive ride the day before. The first 7km of the climb were 8-9% average, I then fell asleep at the cafe and chilled for about an hour before hitting up the rest of the climb. Was quite pleased with the final 10km as I managed to push through the wall (i think easing off to around 6% helped too)

Associate
Any opinions on the following bike?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/full-monty-SL

I'm looking for a bike for my girlfriend. She's taken up commuting via bike. Looking for something a little more suitable and versatile than her current one.
Ideally looking for mounts for full guards and pannier, with wide clearance.
Above one looks like it ticks all boxes and seems good value. Are there any other similarly spec'd / priced bikes I should be looking at?
Would people would go for the new 105 but mechanical disc brakes, or Sram 1 with hydraulics?

Soldato
Ah that was my friends relive - I have just requested a follow on Strava - I'm James :) Loads of pictures of the ride on strava between myself and Aref, theres another couple of good rides on there from that trip too. CDP was hard, but the morning after we did the glandon / croix de fer which was brutal.
Thanks, apologise to Aref for me - gave him a bunch of kudos and a request he didn't want lol

Same fantastic pictures from all of both of your rides, looks like you had a fantastic time! Croix de Fer & Glandon are on my bucket list already but hadn't added Col du Pre... Until now! :cool:

So it seems putting my old bike on a trainer requires a tweek.
Gears don’t seem to locate properly on some of the cassette.
Am I right in thinking.
1. Shift down to smallest cog and adjust little screw to stop it directly under.
2. Repeat above for the largest cog
3. Check spacing between large cog and mech and adjust to 5-6mm( with third screw)
That ‘should’ do it?
As mentioned steps 1 & 2 is the way you set the 'limits' of your derailleur. They shouldn't need adjusting unless the chain is coming off the inside/outside. If you've already tweaked them I wouldn't worry, it's good to learn how they work! Don't get too tied up in them being exactly at the point you want you chain to be, just at the edge where they stop it coming off. Ideally your cable tension and shifters will not 'hit' that limit (just be close to it).

Step 3 is one you only need to adjust with big changes in cassettes and I've found it really only impacts the 'smallest' cog (ie your lowest gear so physically largest sprocket). When discussing cassettes you where moving from a 4700 (10 speed) 12-30T cassette to a 5700 (10 speed) 11-28T. There's not a huge difference between 30T and 28T so you may not need to adjust it, I personally wouldn't unless you get some 'chain suck' or the chain 'sticking' to sprockets when shifting. If you've tweaked it, not a problem, just you'll likely need to retweak it when changing back to your wheel (with the 30T cassette) to ride outside.

Shifting being slightly out (skipping) is generally sorted using the barrel adjuster where the cable enters the mech. There are several ways to sort this alignment (generally called 'indexing') and hundreds of guides/videos online who can explain it better than I can here. The GCN one is usually most peoples starting point, where you start from the top (fastest gear, smallest cog) of the cassette and work your way down. Basically if your cable isn't stretched worn the indexing for the rest of the cassette should be spot on when the top 2-3-4 gears of the cassette are.

Having looked at the bike this morning i think when i was putting the rear tyre back I may have moved one of the rear brake pads so when i got back home the pad was on the tyre rather than the rim so thats what probably caused the blow out :o
Ooooft! One to watch out for, might be also worth checking how 'easy' your calipers are moving (tighten them up, but not so much they won't self centre). I really don't miss that riding discs... Nor the hours of my life wasted on side pivots/canti/v-brakes! :o ;)

Soldato

I'm looking for a bike for my girlfriend. She's taken up commuting via bike. Looking for something a little more suitable and versatile than her current one.
Above one looks like it ticks all boxes and seems good value. Are there any other similarly spec'd / priced bikes I should be looking at?
Would people would go for the new 105 but mechanical disc brakes, or Sram 1 with hydraulics?
It's a bit 'meh', which I generally feel about most PX's. It looks good for the money but I think the general 'go to' commuter from PX has usually been the London Road. They had some issues a year or two back with QC and not sure if that was the London Road in particular or across the whole frame range (frame seat post diameter was nowhere near spec). @FrenchTart might be a good shout on this one as he did quite a bit of research before settling on his BishBashBosh.

Most of the chatter seems to be people comparing the Full Monty to the London Road and seems to hint that the FM is lighter. Not much mention on tyre clearance of the FM but some struggled for 40mm clearance on the LR so might be the same on the FM. Probably only an issue if going off road with it (not much need to go over 32mm on the roads commuting). Very light on details/specs on the PX website and can't see what wheels the 105 comes with, the Rival comes with Vision Team 30 which are fairly good (expecting the Shimano to come with cheaper).

Looks like the FM used to be cheaper but unsure what spec (pound has tanked a over the past few years too). I'd be looking at other off the shelf brands for something with a newer designed frame rather than one that's been rehashed for several years. Can find lots of FM's (non-SL, but same geometry?) mentioned even before PX did the LR.

Looked through the Genesis'? They where always one of the first and most reliable disc commuters. Brands like Canyon, Giant, Cannondale & Merida you might even find a carbon frame for your budget if ok with mechanical discs.

Soldato

Dolan RDX comes in at £999 with 105 and RS505 hydraulic brakes - can be spec'd with mudguards and pannier rack for £1095

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-rdx-bike-shimano-105-5800-hydro.html

Soldato
Went for my first track session today at Derby Velodrome. Scary as hell getting up on the banking for the first few laps, speed is your friend :D
Loved it, brutal and scary but would can't wait to go again!

Soldato
Took a look at the bike tonight and had to change the tyre over cos of this....

ZRSiE0p.jpg

:eek:

As I suspected the blow out from the other day was caused by the brake directly on the tyre rather than the rim :o

Fully sorting things out tomorrow hopefully before a charity 10k walk.

Soldato
Dolan RDX comes in at £999 with 105 and RS505 hydraulic brakes - can be spec'd with mudguards and pannier rack for £1095

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-rdx-bike-shimano-105-5800-hydro.html
To be fair that's a very tidy setup. Have barely heard much about Dolans newer stuff, only their generic track bikes. Any idea what frames they are?

Went for my first track session today at Derby Velodrome. Scary as hell getting up on the banking for the first few laps, speed is your friend :D
Loved it, brutal and scary but would can't wait to go again!
Awesome stuff, well done! :D

Took a look at the bike tonight and had to change the tyre over cos of this....

ZRSiE0p.jpg

:eek:

As I suspected the blow out from the other day was caused by the brake directly on the tyre rather than the rim :o
Yeah, that's done it, shredded! :o :(

Fully sorting things out tomorrow hopefully before a charity 10k walk.
I lol'd. Goodluck! :D

Soldato
Some mofo stole my Rapha PT aero jersey last night from my climbing gym changing room. It's XS and race fit so wouldn't fit 99% of people!:mad:

It will fit most petite women as that was Rapha's target market with said jerzeey. The lads girlfriend/sister/daughter will be delighted with his acquisition.

:p

Stealing is disgusting. Did you check if it was handed in or if CCTV on the exit to see who may have left in the time window you were away from the changing room? If you find out who it is then I absolutely believe Saudia Arabia style justice for stealing is justified for said cretin.

Back
Top Bottom