Road Cycling

Soldato
Trusted you, more than happy to cover postage/cost of a pint for you :)

Anyone else TOB'ing this year? I'm driving then riding out to catch them on Stage 1 just before Brecon at either the 2nd climb of the day Defynnog KOM or the feed station just after in Libanus. Would be good to grab some bags and bidons! :D

Nice and warm here this afternoon, nicest afternoon of the week! Have a good weekend all :)

Soldato
Mad Summer Hare 2018 on Sunday and OMG it actually looks like it's not going to rain. Nice.

73 miles and a fair bit of elevation - so I've trained for this perfectly by going around a track in short bursts at zero elevation. :o :(

My legs are going to be like WTF?! :p

Soldato
Southampton, hopefully not too hot, or too cold
Trusted you, more than happy to cover postage/cost of a pint for you :)

Anyone else TOB'ing this year? I'm driving then riding out to catch them on Stage 1 just before Brecon at either the 2nd climb of the day Defynnog KOM or the feed station just after in Libanus. Would be good to grab some bags and bidons! :D

Nice and warm here this afternoon, nicest afternoon of the week! Have a good weekend all :)

I thought you would be cycling to Bristol, having entered the Strava challenge, the distance getting there should cover your remaining mileage to then pick up your free socks. ;)

https://www.strava.com/challenges/tob-bristol-stage

Soldato
Starting to get excited, my Orbea Orca should arrive on Monday. Have had a a few years off cycling due to kids but really looking forward to getting into it again! I've spent a small fortune but should be worth it.

Associate
Starting to get excited, my Orbea Orca should arrive on Monday. Have had a a few years off cycling due to kids but really looking forward to getting into it again! I've spent a small fortune but should be worth it.

Looking forward to some pics! I’ve just put an order in for an Orbea Ordu, which I should get in a few weeks.

Soldato
Finally finished building my Bowman last night so took it out for a 68mi test ride today. It's quite scary riding something you've built and trusting it not to fall apart on a fast descent.:eek:

It's about 2kg heavier than my carbon bikes and I can definitely feel it but it still rides well. I just need to fit some full guards and it's ready for winter training and commuting.

cj7nzvah.jpg

Soldato

Which one have you ordered?

I still fancy getting an Orca M20 on the OMR frame, not 100% sold on the aero model but will see how the M20i variant of that looks when it arrives in the shop soon.

8 year old carbon frame and Fulcrum quattros seems a soft at the back when giving it the beans.

Soldato
Any idea as to the part number for the plastic sleeve which sits inside the RD barrel adjuster? Last one perished/split and ever since eventually the cable has been fraying after a few 1,000 miles, which makes sense if it's metal rubbing on metal :p

Referred to in the DM-RD0003-08-ENG document under Maintenance (2) as (A) 'Cover with tongue'

2ylmL7wl.jpg

Edit: Unsure if this is it or if it relates to the shifters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any idea as to the part number for the plastic sleeve which sits inside the RD barrel adjuster? Last one perished/split and ever since eventually the cable has been fraying after a few 1,000 miles, which makes sense if it's metal rubbing on metal :p

Referred to in the DM-RD0003-08-ENG document under Maintenance (2) as (A) 'Cover with tongue'

2ylmL7wl.jpg

Edit: Unsure if this is it or if it relates to the shifters.

Comes as a whole barrell adjuster

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-105-rd5800-cable-adjusting-bolt-unit-y5ye98030/

I'm sure the sleeve just plugs into the bottom of the hole rather than through from the top.

Soldato
Warm afternoon and nice weather.

I got out on the TT, spare tub in the rear pocket and all! Gotta be better than riding the trainer on a day like today.

Windy but so aero and so fast! Good times before summer comes to an end!

Unfortunately the councils have stated to do the terrible “resurface” of bitumen covered with loose chippings, resulting in an awful surface to ride on, some of which is on the 25m TT course. Can only hope it smooths out or all rips up before next season.

Soldato
Which one have you ordered?

I still fancy getting an Orca M20 on the OMR frame, not 100% sold on the aero model but will see how the M20i variant of that looks when it arrives in the shop soon.

8 year old carbon frame and Fulcrum quattros seems a soft at the back when giving it the beans.

M20 Team Disc in white. £2400 seemed too good to turn down.

Soldato
Warm afternoon and nice weather.

I got out on the TT, spare tub in the rear pocket and all! Gotta be better than riding the trainer on a day like today.

Windy but so aero and so fast! Good times before summer comes to an end!

Unfortunately the councils have stated to do the terrible “resurface” of bitumen covered with loose chippings, resulting in an awful surface to ride on, some of which is on the 25m TT course. Can only hope it smooths out or all rips up before next season.

They did that on a stretch of ours last year and it was awful at first but it’s actually pretty decent now. Will probably disintegrate in winter, mind.

Soldato
They did that on a stretch of ours last year and it was awful at first but it’s actually pretty decent now. Will probably disintegrate in winter, mind.

They done it on one of our courses to "fix" the potholes and subsequently the event had to be moved to a different course as they made such a mess.
It's a banned method of "fixing" roads in majority of Europe and it should be here also. Absolute waste of time and OUR money.

Soldato
It made it more difficult to see the potholes as it’s currently a uniform colour, the seal was rough giving a load more vibration through the bike and until the sweep it the edges and diff line is lethal loose gravel. :(

Associate
They top dress the roads to protect the layers underneath more, giving it a longer life span. Not saying it’s a good solution, just why it’s done.
For cyclists it’s rough as hell for a few weeks/months. We have had quite a lot done on surrounding roads

Soldato
They top dress the roads to protect the layers underneath more, giving it a longer life span. Not saying it’s a good solution, just why it’s done.
For cyclists it’s rough as hell for a few weeks/months. We have had quite a lot done on surrounding roads

All it serves to do is obscure the holes and cracks underneath when initially dressed all whilst it is acting like a lethal gravel/sand trap for cyclists and stone chipping the hell out of peoples car paintwork. It is so typically British to do a **** job rather than just do it properly. Roads are at their worst ever just now and they are never going to get better the more they "fix" them in this fashion and reduce spend on them whilst traffic is on the increase..... The worst part is that they know all of this.

Soldato
Mad Summer Hare 2018 on Sunday and OMG it actually looks like it's not going to rain. Nice.
73 miles and a fair bit of elevation - so I've trained for this perfectly by going around a track in short bursts at zero elevation. :o :(
My legs are going to be like WTF?! :p
Looks like you improved on last year :)

Soldato

Leeds/North Yorkshire councils have gone crazy for it this Summer. I can't remember so many roads being done at once with this crap any other year :/

Back
Top Bottom