Road Cycling

Man of Honour
Finally decided on a bike:

o5MOT9x.jpg

No, they're not wooden wheels! :D

My pub/canal path/family/shop/generic duty bike. Specialized Sirrus 4.0.

Soldato
Found some so will give it a go. Might try and repair the scratches too.
Rob Hayles did my steerer tube: turned it around quite quickly. It’s not the most pretty but it’s function over form, and obviously you don’t want to be removing more carbon than needed to make a prettier repair if it’s hidden.

He’s got a good reputation. In my case it was a very minimal amount needed to build back up from the split ring wear, I’d say fractions of a mil on one side only and I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Cost was £120 inc return postage. But a new cervelo fork would be £450+ at a guess (based on enve) as it’s all moulded carbon to accept the lower bearing rather than using a crown race so wouldn’t be cheap.

Soldato
Rob Hayles did my steerer tube: turned it around quite quickly. It’s not the most pretty but it’s function over form, and obviously you don’t want to be removing more carbon than needed to make a prettier repair if it’s hidden.

He’s got a good reputation. In my case it was a very minimal amount needed to build back up from the split ring wear, I’d say fractions of a mil on one side only and I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Cost was £120 inc return postage. But a new cervelo fork would be £450+ at a guess (based on enve) as it’s all moulded carbon to accept the lower bearing rather than using a crown race so wouldn’t be cheap.

I've done my DIY repair now, but will keep the name in mind. I did find a few places not a million miles away that can do repairs. The things I have found, filters for wheels are rubbish at all the shops. Things I want to filter on are brake type, group set type, depth and weight but these are lacking. I also think I should start building a plan for buying a new bike as they are so expensive now.

UE0yTyN.jpg

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Yeah looks fine. Obviously there’s no way to be sure but minimal amount of material loss and it’s all sealed.

With weight, check out rim weight separate if possible from unit weight.

For example I have FFWD F6R with the DT350 hub, the DT240 hub wheels were something ridiculous like £300 more for a very small weight saving at the hub you’d never notice when riding.

Soldato
It was more just a rant at the poor searching in the market when you have more niche needs. I imagine someone searching for carbon rims, with rim brakes and campagnolo group set giving up the hunt for new wheels.

Anyone doing London to Southend tomorrow? Any chance you can share the gpx?

Soldato
Or just fit shimano or sram 11 speed as don’t they all work together and you’ll find those hubs easy… assuming you’re on 11 and not 12 speed?!

Soldato
I'm on Shimano, but was an observation that on many wheelsets I was having to go into the descriptions to see the details I wanted to see.

Soldato
That wind was a killer today when the majority of it wasn't behind you. We did 95% of the London to Southend route but separated from it towards the end back home rather then get caught up further in the miserable Southend traffic. 19.8mph average which would have meant we would have been first over the line if we continued to the end, thought there would have been some proper fast riders out today, but it didn't look that popular an event.

Soldato
Argh. had a notification on my E-Tube app that there was a firmware update for my Di2, half way through the update, error message and now the bloody thing is bricked.

When I try to restore it from the iPhone app it just tries and fails 3 times.

Reading up the only fix is to connect to a PC running the E-Tube software and connect using either a bloody expensive 'SM-BCR2' charger or the crazy expensive 'SMPCE02'.

Ive ordered the 'SM-BCR2' which should be here tomorrow (£88 :mad:). Hoping I can fix it when it arrives.

So annoying that Shimano doesn't provide you with the tools needed to safely do updates.

Soldato
So annoying that Shimano doesn't provide you with the tools needed to safely do updates.
I'm fairly sure the cable/charger that I use for software updates came with the bike? I forget what the model is, but it works fine when plugged into my laptop. I bought another at about £100 at Christmas when I had a Di2 issue away from home, so now I have a spare!

Yup, that's the one. Reasonably sure Canyon supplied one with the bike. How else do you charge your Di2? @kidloco did you not get one with yours? How do you charge it?

Back
Top Bottom