Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries"

Associate
"The 422 Race reports that the first part of the surgery # Kubica , which was intended to avoid amputation, was successful."

F1Lite: Kubica is in no immediate danger. Internal bleeding has been virtually stopped. Operation on the hand will continue until 7pm GMT. #F1

Associate
I just think to Massa who took a 5K chunk of metal to the head at 100mph+ and came through, hopefully Kubica will fight all the way until he is back in F1.

In terms of the Renault team, it does look like a replacement will have to be found, they wont want 2 rookies in the car, so that leaves a small selection. De la Rosa may get the seat, Heidfeld perhaps, Liuzzi even.

Associate
Wasn't Webber still receiving injections and still had a minor fracture in the early part of the season? Wish Robert a speedy recovery. I wonder how the sponsors feel because I'm getting the feeling that Renault were pinning their hopes on Robert over the other driver.

Soldato
"The 422 Race reports that the first part of the surgery # Kubica , which was intended to avoid amputation, was successful."

F1Lite: Kubica is in no immediate danger. Internal bleeding has been virtually stopped. Operation on the hand will continue until 7pm GMT. #F1

Why would they have needed to amputate anyway, i never get that? Or what if he refused permission to amputate.

Soldato
Why would they have needed to amputate anyway, i never get that? Or what if he refused permission to amputate.

I don't believe that's a decision you really have any choice in if you are admitted to A&E with a serious fracture that a Senior team of Doctors thinks needs amputation.

Associate
From another forum looks like the surgeons may have saved his hand initially.

This is an update from Kubica's manager.

Surgeons are trying to restore the functionality of his right hand. They already revascularized limb bone and repaired the system, now have to think about the muscle function, but Robert has a very strong temper and will succeed. " Said Daniele Morelli, manager of Robert Kubica, F1 driver wounded today in an accident during the first round of the Rally Ronde Andover, Pietra Ligure out of the hospital where the surgery is in progress. Morelli also announced the imminent arrival of the parents of the driver in the town of Savona.

Caporegime
Gutted, such a shame. I hope he makes a decent recovery and can regain full use of his hand even if it means he can't race again.

God knows what he was thinking on the eve of a big season for him, F1 drivers are so secure in their little tubs and they shouldn't be taking un-needed risks like this. :(

This is the sort of thing you do once your finished at top level, not during it :(

Associate
All I can do is echo everyone's thoughts. When I first found out about this, it seemed like it was just a couple of fractures, and I didn't realise it was as serious as this. F1 would suffer a major loss if Kubica didn't return to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom