Robot Wars returning to BBC2!

Man of Honour
Bending of what rules? :confused:

If you look at the heats it was moving quite a bit, I don't know if damages caused it to not to be able to move us much later on but it seemed less effective.
That the bots must move, any other bot that just stand stills and spins is counted out, this does not happen with nuts. They sit there waiting for others to attack. Even in first battle they barely moved. Its a clever loop hole but needs closing. Unless you want all boys just to sit there and never attack.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the arena 'weapons' all test a team's driving abilities and to me that's all part and parcel of putting a robot in the arena. If it was a completely empty arena it could be pretty boring in a fight where neither bot is able to do much damage, plus it means that if a robot's weapon(s) break they can still tactically use the arena to their advantage.

Caporegime
That the bots must move, any other bot that just stand stills and spins is counted out, this does not happen with nuts. They sit there waiting for others to attack. Even in first battle they barely moved. Its a clever loop hole but needs closing. Unless you want all boys just to sit there and never attack.

But it does move. It's not a loophole at all.

Associate
Cracking episode.

Thought Magnetar was the class of the field this series, but those Srimec issues and a moment of truly boneheaded driving put paid to Ellis' chances. I can't begrudge a new winner their moment of glory; tactically astute and Carbide threw it away when they began to run away. That will never find favour with the judges; if they had continued to at least attempt to fight on, they had arguably built up enough momentum and caused enough damage to sway it.

Moment of the series was Rapid immolating itself. Very underwhelming robot for me, given the hype and expenditure. One of the most unjustifiably smug, dislikeable teams ever to grace the arena.

I hope the series - and Angela - return for another year. Although I would hope for less clusterbots, and far less primadonna teams. Yes it is expensive and competitive, but it has lost an element of camaraderie and enjoyment that the 'old' series' had.

Last edited:
Soldato
Robots have to be able to move out of their own circumference not to be counted out. As a result of this with some robots designs they can loose a side of drive and still be able to move enough to be counted as active while others would be counted out. As for carbide in the final, there was something wrong with it's weapon motor. There is a puff of smoke halfway through and after that it never really spins up properly. That is why it runs away, usually it takes 4 seconds to get upto speed but with the problem it seemed to take at lot longer to just get upto a speed that would do some damage however I don't think it ever got to proper full speed.

Soldato

You do like a bit of melodrama; Nuts brought something that hadn't really been seen before, having a defensive weapon as opposed to an offensive one is still a perfectly valid tactic, and as long as the robot maintains full mobility (which it did otherwise the weapon wouldn't work at all) then there's no breach of the rules whatsoever.

You were the same about Gabriel 2 saying "it can't kill, ban it". So what? At least it provided a challenge for the other robots because they couldn't damage it via normal methods either.

Man of Honour
You do like a bit of melodrama;
well not at all,

i said i both love it and hate it/. like formula 1 I love it when people find loopholes and exploit them, but if a lot of people copy it next season, then its going to be garbage as they'll all just sit there waiting for others to attack and as such it needs closing.
and yes im very much against bots that can't cause damage. hats the point in such bots they do nothing and add nothing. they need qualifying rounds.

Soldato
I see your point, but I don't think there's too much worry of that given the sheer quantity of spinners and flippers we've seen over the past few series already. We're not going to end up with an entire series of Nuts clones all spinning like tops for 3 mins a round doing nothing.

In any case, there's no loophole to close. As long as the robot has full mobility, it can use that mobility however it likes. If Nuts lost part of its drive, I suspect it would cease to be a threat.

Man of Honour
I like to see some variety and people trying things, etc. I'm not against bots that can't do much damage - but it isn't very interesting to watch two or more bots at the same time that can't do much damage however - its only interesting if they find a clever way to win or get spread all over the arena.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’d rather watch a spinning top vs bar spinner vs flipper than a boring flipper vs flipper.

I personally thought Gabriel was a terrible bot only running because teams couldn’t hand the killer blow, but that’s the competition.

Interested in seeing what Carbide can come up with.

Soldato
Just caught up with watching the final with my 7-year-old. Was probably the best episode of RW I've ever seen. Some incredible battles.

Was delighted that Eruption won, too.

As an aside, I think too many in this thread are a bit mean-spirited about the teams. I think they're all pretty great in their own way. And the competition means a lot when you've put 100s of hours, and no small sum of cash, into preparing.

Back
Top Bottom