ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Soldato
They only reset if you fail memory oc I thought

May have been playing - just tested now, also with full shut down, and pstates are there with everything where it shoud be cpu: 4ghz, ram 3ghz

What BIOS are you on? 1107 looks ok, I dont overclock so dont know how it is for that though.

I am on 1107.

Well, it looks like I can sleep tonight - this is all looking pretty sweet.

Cinebench score after shut down hitting 1719. Do you guys test this on clean boot? I just realised I have so many processes running they will knock a bit off the score.

Hopefully I won't run into issues. It would be so nice to close it up and just use it with it running where I wanted.

And one day when I get bored I can see what more I can get out of it.

Soldato
I get 1619 @stock with RAM @2666 14,14,14,14,34 1T. I dont now if XFR is working with 1107 as HWMonitor Max frequency is < 4Ghz and < 3.6Ghz with all cores. On 1002 it would show 4.1Ghz and 3.7Ghz.

Soldato
So I pass an hour occt, aida64 memory stress for a while and temps hit a max of 61c.

Have found one flaw - custom pstates reset when you restart pc :/

Cinebench scores seem bit lower than expected - 1700 without the cinebench cheat.

Memory latency much improved with prime pro was 96 at 2400 with tighter timings, and get 83 now.

You do realise if you are on the wind up we will find you ;)

That sounds very promising especially for the memory performance, I will let a few more willing volunteers have a go and when it is released officially install it :)

Soldato
You do realise if you are on the wind up we will find you ;)

That sounds very promising especially for the memory performance, I will let a few more willing volunteers have a go and when it is released officially install it :)

I'm easy to find.

Honestly, I'm beside myself. Have mucked about with the prime for so long I thought I was still going to be mucking around with this for some time.

I didn't actually think I'd be able to hit the 3000mhz on ram...

Associate
1107 working just fine with same settings as I had dialled in from 079. So at very least it means you don't need to **** around for 5 hours finding stability.

Soldato
Ok, so in typical me fashion, I couldn't help but try at least one fiddle - thought seeing as 3000 was so easy to achieve on memory, wonder if I would have any luck with 3333 - asking a lot, I know!

Anyway, all I changed was ram from 3000 clock to 3333, and manually set timings to 16-18-18-18-36 - whereas before was just default 15-17-17-17-36 fron profile.

Didn't like it at all, wouldn't even do it's traning thing, just hard locked and wasn't able to post.

So, fine, will jsut revert and leave it - loaded my OC profile from before, so everything exactly the same, but now it goes through boot loop many times before it will finally "bite", but takes quite some time.

So dropped to 2666 - no problem at all.

go back to 3000, retries over and over and over before eventually taking.

Had this nagging suspicion about Ryzen with it's liking for even ram timings, so set it to 14-16-16-16-36 (tighter than stock), and goes through first time, no issues!

What the hell is up with that?

Now I just need to stability test again, and if good, no more fiddling for a while!

Associate
Ok, so in typical me fashion, I couldn't help but try at least one fiddle - thought seeing as 3000 was so easy to achieve on memory, wonder if I would have any luck with 3333 - asking a lot, I know!

Anyway, all I changed was ram from 3000 clock to 3333, and manually set timings to 16-18-18-18-36 - whereas before was just default 15-17-17-17-36 fron profile.

Didn't like it at all, wouldn't even do it's traning thing, just hard locked and wasn't able to post.

So, fine, will jsut revert and leave it - loaded my OC profile from before, so everything exactly the same, but now it goes through boot loop many times before it will finally "bite", but takes quite some time.

So dropped to 2666 - no problem at all.

go back to 3000, retries over and over and over before eventually taking.

Had this nagging suspicion about Ryzen with it's liking for even ram timings, so set it to 14-16-16-16-36 (tighter than stock), and goes through first time, no issues!

What the hell is up with that?

Now I just need to stability test again, and if good, no more fiddling for a while!

There has been talk (though haven't confirmed myself) that Ryzen doesn't do well with odd timing numbers, but really it's a complex answer of multiple variations, timing/terminations/voltage (dram/soc/core) all play a part in you booting.

Soldato
Aida failed the 14-16-16-36, so manually entered the default XMP settings of 15-17-17-36, and all good again.

So, a little fickle still, but as I got it back and stable, I will NOT be tinkering any more until either May Agesa if it's really worthwhile, or a few BIOs revisions down the line, when things are looking more reliable.

For now, I'm very happy that I have it running where I wanted (again).

Now to stop procrastinating and do some work :/

Soldato
Oh dear. Been reading about a lot of problems with LED's it seems.

I'll probably never notice if mine do - I have a windowed case that stuck down the side of desk, so never see it.

What software do you have installed for controlling LED's? Just the Asus?

Associate
1107 improved my boot time by 10s (now 25s from switched off PC to see Windows desktop). Still ....twice as long compared to Skylake that I had, but it's going in good direction:)

Soldato
Oh dear. Been reading about a lot of problems with LED's it seems.

I'll probably never notice if mine do - I have a windowed case that stuck down the side of desk, so never see it.

What software do you have installed for controlling LED's? Just the Asus?
ASUS Aura controls the RGB LED's, Its like all mobo software, total ****.

Associate
Aida failed the 14-16-16-36, so manually entered the default XMP settings of 15-17-17-36, and all good again.

So, a little fickle still, but as I got it back and stable, I will NOT be tinkering any more until either May Agesa if it's really worthwhile, or a few BIOs revisions down the line, when things are looking more reliable.

For now, I'm very happy that I have it running where I wanted (again).

Now to stop procrastinating and do some work :/

If you're running the 1107 BIOS which I saw you were from OC.com you already have the 1005 May AGESA code.

Associate
If you're running the 1107 BIOS which I saw you were from OC.com you already have the 1005 May AGESA code.
1107 was based on old beta bioses and 1004a...What they say is May agesa should allow most kits to achieve 3200, so I would assume without the need of bclk.

Associate
Still a few teething problems with this board, Can't get ram any higher than 2666mhz stable on bios 1002. To be honest it's running everything bob on so I think I'll stick at this until an all singing all dancing bios comes out with no issue's!

Back
Top Bottom