ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Associate
Thoughts on the ch7?

Great board IMO. More of an evolution on C6H.

ASUS T-Topology is out and daisy chain topology is in. As AMD don't allow mobo vendors to tune IMC FW to board design and AMD guideline is daisy chain this maybe better. Regardless of topology Ryzen IMC is weaker for >16GB in my experience.

Probeit voltage points are more accurate and also software monitoring has greater accuracy. 1 extra fan header on PCB vs C6H plus a connector which allows ASUS Fan Extension card (not included) that allows 3x more fan/temp headers (integrates to UEFI).

VRM has been improved for components and phase organisation. It has 60A mosfets vs 40A, the 10 VCORE phases vs 8, as it's still 12 phases total the SOC was knocked to 2 instead of 4. As board has no display output and a CPU with IGP isn't gonna be used I reckon 2 phases on SOC with increased A is all good TBH. I went from closed case with decent airflow to open air chassis, VRM gets little to no fan airflow, I see around max 50C on VRM when load rig with P95 on OC'd 2700X; this is stonking VRM IMO. The IR3555M also have integrated temp sensor, so on this board it's actual mosfet internal temp and not a diode close to VRM.

Up until AGESA 1.0.0.6 UEFI C6H had Precision Boost Overdrive menu in AMD CBS, now it does not. Only option to get a PBO OC is use Performance Enhancer menu. This change I believe is down to AMD AGESA, as C7H AMD CBS PBO menu was also changed greatly. Before you could tweak the limiters (PPT/TDC/EDC/Scalar VID) now you only have PBO Enabled/Disabled.

Twin M.2, one has support for NVMe and SATA, other only NVMe. If top M.2 is used GPU slots become 8x, TPU has article showing only something like RTX 2080 Ti may see ~3-5% loss in performance on this config IIRC.

Soldato
Great board IMO. More of an evolution on C6H.

ASUS T-Topology is out and daisy chain topology is in. As AMD don't allow mobo vendors to tune IMC FW to board design and AMD guideline is daisy chain this maybe better. Regardless of topology Ryzen IMC is weaker for >16GB in my experience.

Probeit voltage points are more accurate and also software monitoring has greater accuracy. 1 extra fan header on PCB vs C6H plus a connector which allows ASUS Fan Extension card (not included) that allows 3x more fan/temp headers (integrates to UEFI).

VRM has been improved for components and phase organisation. It has 60A mosfets vs 40A, the 10 VCORE phases vs 8, as it's still 12 phases total the SOC was knocked to 2 instead of 4. As board has no display output and a CPU with IGP isn't gonna be used I reckon 2 phases on SOC with increased A is all good TBH. I went from closed case with decent airflow to open air chassis, VRM gets little to no fan airflow, I see around max 50C on VRM when load rig with P95 on OC'd 2700X; this is stonking VRM IMO. The IR3555M also have integrated temp sensor, so on this board it's actual mosfet internal temp and not a diode close to VRM.

Up until AGESA 1.0.0.6 UEFI C6H had Precision Boost Overdrive menu in AMD CBS, now it does not. Only option to get a PBO OC is use Performance Enhancer menu. This change I believe is down to AMD AGESA, as C7H AMD CBS PBO menu was also changed greatly. Before you could tweak the limiters (PPT/TDC/EDC/Scalar VID) now you only have PBO Enabled/Disabled.

Twin M.2, one has support for NVMe and SATA, other only NVMe. If top M.2 is used GPU slots become 8x, TPU has article showing only something like RTX 2080 Ti may see ~3-5% loss in performance on this config IIRC.
Thanks. I got a 2700x recently with a gigabyte b450 micro atx board to fit in my Corsair 350d however I got an evolv x for Christmas and was thinking of getting the CH7 - is it worth it?

Soldato
Up until AGESA 1.0.0.6 UEFI C6H had Precision Boost Overdrive menu in AMD CBS, now it does not. Only option to get a PBO OC is use Performance Enhancer menu. This change I believe is down to AMD AGESA, as C7H AMD CBS PBO menu was also changed greatly.

There is a modified bios that brings PBO back for the C6H btw.

Anyone had any success with the latest bios, 6401?

Yeah, decent so far. 3466mhz at CAS14 with 4 sticks. up to 3.9Ghz on my 1700x as well, think the RAM issues had been helping stop it get that high before.

Associate
Thanks. I got a 2700x recently with a gigabyte b450 micro atx board to fit in my Corsair 350d however I got an evolv x for Christmas and was thinking of getting the CH7 - is it worth it?

For me C6H/C7H were, for you IDK. I would take my time looking at it to see if you need it.

If you like tinkering it's great board as it has plethora of options. Others that have owned ASUS AM4 and another vendors AM4 state POST times are slower on ASUS, for me non issue. I use the mobo to control water pump besides rad fans, based on water temp, so temp probe headers came in handy. The Probeit points came in handy initially to see what I set in UEFI become as effective voltage, once you done this a few times you can predict what you'd get and there is no need for them IMO.

There is a modified bios that brings PBO back for the C6H btw.

Sold my C6H, thus can't try it. Same author created one for C7H and it does not work. Looking at the portion of UEFI that would be for that menu, author has done something which is not right IMO.

Soldato
Sold my C6H, thus can't try it. Same author created one for C7H and it does not work. Looking at the portion of UEFI that would be for that menu, author has done something which is not right IMO.
Fair enough, others seem to have it coming back with his bios so maybe it was a dodgy install? I'm on 1st gen so its largely irrelevant, just thought I'd mention it as a possibility for people.

Soldato
Anyone gong to upgrade CPU to a Ryzen 3x and keep this board? I was going to get a new x570 but the prices will be high so am thinking I will just upgrade to a 3900X if the board can handle it.

Associate
Anyone gong to upgrade CPU to a Ryzen 3x and keep this board? I was going to get a new x570 but the prices will be high so am thinking I will just upgrade to a 3900X if the board can handle it.
Same, initially I though it might be nice to get new board, but decided to check my old CH6 first

Soldato
I have updated the BIOS in preparation, will be interesting to see how it goes. This will be the first time I have upgraded a CPU, normally have to do the board as well.

Soldato
I have updated the BIOS in preparation, will be interesting to see how it goes. This will be the first time I have upgraded a CPU, normally have to do the board as well.

That was one reason I chose Ryzen 1700 v a 7700k at the time. The only slight draw back has been the single core speed / performance but that looks to be no longer an issue.

Associate
I'll wait till next weekend if they release any other BIOS version. Probably play with some testing, maybe drain and get it ready for 3900x.

Associate
Well this has been my plan all along, hence why I went for the ch6 in the 1st place. Have already gone from the 1600x I got originally to a 2700x last year with no problems. I don’t see the ch6 have any problems with a 8 core zen2 but will wait for reviews.

I might be tempted to get a cheaper x570 or a X470 and a new zen2 just so I can replace my nephews 7700k with my ch6/2700k.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I posted this in the Zen2 thread, but I may as well post it in here too. P.S It's not my link, from some dude on Reddit.

dzbx9fdkxv731.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom