Rome 2 : Total War

Soldato
just got this today, really impressed with how it plays now as I heard months back it was terrible. Performance seems so much nicer and smoother, really enjoying playing as Sparta.

Any decent tips? I seem to have a strong army, but I'm loosing 4k a turn at the moment and really struggling to balance my conquest. Only thing I could do is disband my army, but I'm at war with a few factions and dont want to leave myself expose to invasion.

You need to max out your trade routes, traditionally sea trade is highly profitable so develop your ports. And if you have a large army make sure it's doing something other then standing around in bases eating up precious income.

Soldato
One thing I don't get is the faction tab where you see the families. I don't quite get this area at all. The number keeps dropping and not on 28% where as I heard you need to keep above 60%. Don't really understand the bribing, spreading rumours etc

Soldato
The number refers to the influence (as a percentage of the total senators/elders/nobles/etc) of your ruling family within the faction. Bribing, assassinating, marrying, adopting, and spreading rumours about other prominent characters lowers their influence and/or increases that of the ruling family.

If you have too much or too little influence you'll eventually trigger a civil war.

Soldato
It isn't generally something you have to worry about every turn, but 28% influence is a low, so yes, do you what you can. There's no need to go to 60%. Between 40 and 50 is perfectly stable.

Also make sure you have prominent generals from your royal family. On the 'raise forces tab,' when you hover over the picture of a general it will say which family he comes from.

There should be a bar next to the influence scale telling you the likelihood of civil war.

Soldato
I never bother much with that tab, except when there is a decision to make (adoption etc). I just conquer. Then when the power bar gets near to Imperium the civil war occurs and I kill all the rebels.

Soldato
Really enjoyed TWII Rome once the bugs had been ironed out in the early versions, when will I ever lean to not buy a Total War game on release. ;)

Just finished Hegemony: Rome to fill the gap which wasn't quite as in depth as TWII but I quirt enjoyed the approach they took with being able to zoom all the way from tactical battle right out to high level strategy with the game continuing live.

Looking forward to their follow up with Ancients now, I'm planning on taking the Sammnites to a win and making sure Rome never grows beyond a provincial backwater... Mwahaha... ahem. You can never have enough strategy games :)

Hegemony 3: Ancients

Soldato
Spotted an intro video - frankly anyone bypassing publishers and going indie for a strategy title gets my backing :)

Devs are very active so far as I can see and seem to be taking feedback/requests for features etc

Soldato
Hi guys. I'm after some advice for this game. My brother loves it but his system is starting to struggle. At the moment he's got an Athlon II X3, 4GB DDR3 RAM and a 1GB GTX 460. I'll be giving him a spare PC of mine with an Intel i7 2600K and 8GB of RAM.

He's after a new GPU to go with the new CPU/RAM/Mobo combo and I'm not sure which to advise him to get. At the moment looking at second hand something around the level of a 7950 or GTX 670. Does it favour AMD or Nvidia? Budget is around £80-100. Ta

Soldato
Hi guys. I'm after some advice for this game. My brother loves it but his system is starting to struggle. At the moment he's got an Athlon II X3, 4GB DDR3 RAM and a 1GB GTX 460. I'll be giving him a spare PC of mine with an Intel i7 2600K and 8GB of RAM.

He's after a new GPU to go with the new CPU/RAM/Mobo combo and I'm not sure which to advise him to get. At the moment looking at second hand something around the level of a 7950 or GTX 670. Does it favour AMD or Nvidia? Budget is around £80-100. Ta

You can pick up a 280X on the OCUK MM for around that price so I'd be looking at one of those.

Soldato
Is anyone else still getting poor fps/stuttering on the campaign map, especially when you select a unit. After upgrading from a 5770 to a 7950 and 4gb to 8gb ram, I was expecting this problem to go!

Associate
Is anyone else still getting poor fps/stuttering on the campaign map, especially when you select a unit. After upgrading from a 5770 to a 7950 and 4gb to 8gb ram, I was expecting this problem to go!

Its the game, not your hardware. SLI 980's and it still runs poorly and stutters regardless of fps. The battles performance is poor too compared to previous Total War's for me. Its not lack of hardware, its how the game has been optimized. I mean up until a few months ago we still had units doing some jump/animation stutter when charging. Regardless of 16 patches or however many they're up to now, the game remains my least played Total War of the entire franchise.

Personally I think the series has steadily got worse over the years. Such a shame.

Soldato
The DEI mod (Divide et imperium) really brings a lot to rome 2.

I've been enjoying vanilla rome 2 in an MP campaign the last few days but we've inevitably hit the mid game steam roll point (in very hard) and its quickly lost its appeal. From testing in single player with DEI, the game is far harder and far more fun so we'll be picking it up in MP shortly and hopefully we'll get a solid experience from that.

Soldato
Its the game, not your hardware. SLI 980's and it still runs poorly and stutters regardless of fps. The battles performance is poor too compared to previous Total War's for me. Its not lack of hardware, its how the game has been optimized. I mean up until a few months ago we still had units doing some jump/animation stutter when charging. Regardless of 16 patches or however many they're up to now, the game remains my least played Total War of the entire franchise.

Personally I think the series has steadily got worse over the years. Such a shame.

Tis a shame. I think the game can be very pretty, the visuals are there. Gameplay mechanics were getting a bit too arcadish. The most criminal thing is the optimisation though. Poor at best.

I won't be purchasing total war franchise games until I'm convinced they run smoothly.

Associate
Tis a shame. I think the game can be very pretty, the visuals are there. Gameplay mechanics were getting a bit too arcadish. The most criminal thing is the optimisation though. Poor at best.

I won't be purchasing total war franchise games until I'm convinced they run smoothly.

I think the visuals are good in places, but in others a step backwards. I love Empire & Napoleon for example and whilst its ageing in places it still has proper aa and far better performance to number of soldiers. In Rome II under certain scenarios you can tell the engine simply cant handle the number of soldiers on screen, yet with Empire I can have 2 to 3 times the number of troops in battles and its smoother and as a result of the extra scale to me presents a far better dramatic battle.

I'd rather play Medieval II than Rome II and how many years are we down the road, 8 years? Not good. CA are either becoming more and more incompetent with time or Sega are pushing them too hard. Either way the state of release of Rome II on release with an alleged 40% increased budget shows things are clearly not right in the land of Total War. For the first time ever I'm now never going anywhere near any more Total Wars, until like you say, its been patched and fit for purpose. Even then I'll likely wait until its less than £10. They've done so much damage to their franchise now, that I've now accepted it for the wayward shadow of its former self that the series now is.

The warscape engine seriously needs overhauling btw imo. But with CA developing, looking at there competency to date I seriously dont know if they'd know how to address/handle a new engine.

Bitter? Yep, it used to be my favourite and much beloved series for years.

Soldato
have you selected unlimited GPU memory in the menu settings? its a ridiculous system where it wont use most of your GPU memory until you tick that box, until then its artificially capped.

x6, 8gb memory and a 7970 here and its fine.

Back
Top Bottom