Rome 2 : Total War

Associate
have you selected unlimited GPU memory in the menu settings? its a ridiculous system where it wont use most of your GPU memory until you tick that box, until then its artificially capped.

x6, 8gb memory and a 7970 here and its fine.

Yep done all that. I've got it running OK from some peoples perspective. Its just for me, it doesn't run as well as it should when you start increasing unit detail/size and the campaign map never fully scrolls as smoothly as you'd expect. I play most battles from a zoomed in close perspective. And even when you start turning up the settings, some of the draw distances for units are terrible compared with previous titles. In my opinion its just not where it should be.

What's fine to some isn't to others.

Associate
have you selected unlimited GPU memory in the menu settings? its a ridiculous system where it wont use most of your GPU memory until you tick that box, until then its artificially capped.

ya I run a 7950 atm and game runs fine ...

Soldato

ticked it now, and it does seem a tad better. Although the 3d animation of the characters on the campaign map still looks terrible and slows the fps down noticeably.

Maybe there's a way to disable them or something?

ya I run a 7950 atm and game runs fine ...

What settings are you running?

Associate
ticked it now, and it does seem a tad better. Although the 3d animation of the characters on the campaign map still looks terrible and slows the fps down noticeably.

Maybe there's a way to disable them or something?

What settings are you running?

I Can run either 2560x1440 or 1080p (usually run 1080 because the writing tends to be too small for me to read with the 1440)
Print screen not working so will list:
aa off
text quality ultra
shadows low
water low
sky trees grass extreme
dof off
particles low
terrain buildings unit extreme
unit size ultra
trilinear
shader 5
nothign checked to right only blood effects

I have over 1200 hours into the game - only slow downs are with city battles on the walls and think there is some glitch with that thou.

Associate
Thanks for that, will give those a go.

ya not the 'best' visuals but it gives me detailed army guys and lets me play without much hitching. Rain and fighting on walls is basically the only time unless its like 3k men vs 3kmen then ya a bit of a slow down.

Associate
I found setting unit detail to anything above high sees the engine struggle when there's a large melee scrum going on. Trouble is setting the unit detail to high sees the draw distance of units revert to something worse than Medieval 2. Its just not right.

Sorry to bang on, but it was released in an appalling mess and is now merely OKish at best.

Soldato
For me it runs as well as I would expect, which generally means pretty good. Usual derpiness with aspects of the AI but nothing to spoil my fun.

Just noticed that the Atilla game is out next month for around £25ish, after pre ordering this one I might just wait it out.

Soldato
I can understand you not liking it but you don't need to include "others" to validate that point...? :)

Horses for courses and all of that.

I remember buying Shogun II and then all of the DLC's as they were released etc and try as I might I could not get into that game, sad it took me that long to realise it.!. For some reason that period of war and its settings did nothing for me.

Not sure how I feel about the Atilla game either....?

Soldato
What does make a bad game then? I would have thought issues would be right up there with fair reasoning.
name a game that doesnt have any issues across its installer base? It had a poor release but the 15+ patches since then have more than recovered it. It's been supported for a year and a half, free content DLC's and currently sits well with most players.

You might like it. But thats just an opinion as is mine. Tough that you dont see that
Like I said, its tough you are having problems. I'm not disregarding your opinion but I really think your experience is in the minority of the current game, so its a bit daft to just assure people its t the game being broken instead of finding out what the actual issue is and suggesting ways to improve the experience, which might actually help. You know..constructive instead of a twcenter classic moan. Its a case of classic rosy eyed view as well. All TW's have had rubbish releases and the early ones under activision only got 3 or so patches before being dropped like a stone, regardless of issues.

I remember buying Shogun II and then all of the DLC's as they were released etc and try as I might I could not get into that game, sad it took me that long to realise it.!. For some reason that period of war and its settings did nothing for me.

I'm the same. It was odd as I loved STW, people swear its the best of the series so far as well but I was a bit "meh" about it. The Barbarian expansion of RTW was also my least favourite (apart from the abortive Alexander release) so I'm unsure how it will go, but the improved RPG elements (a legit complaint about what's missing from R2TW I feel) might win me over a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can understand you not liking it but you don't need to include "others" to validate that point...? :)

Horses for courses and all of that.

Spot on. I didn't play Rome 2 at all when it came out, just bought it on special offer the other day.

Money well spent I reckon.

Associate
name a game that doesnt have any issues across its installer base? It had a poor release but the 15+ patches since then have more than recovered it. It's been supported for a year and a half, free content DLC's and currently sits well with most players.

Like I said, its tough you are having problems. I'm not disregarding your opinion but I really think your experience is in the minority of the current game, so its a bit daft to just assure people its t the game being broken instead of finding out what the actual issue is and suggesting ways to improve the experience, which might actually help. You know..constructive instead of a twcenter classic moan. Its a case of classic rosy eyed view as well. All TW's have had rubbish releases and the early ones under activision only got 3 or so patches before being dropped like a stone, regardless of issues.

I'm the same. It was odd as I loved STW, people swear its the best of the series so far as well but I was a bit "meh" about it. The Barbarian expansion of RTW was also my least favourite (apart from the abortive Alexander release) so I'm unsure how it will go, but the improved RPG elements (a legit complaint about what's missing from R2TW I feel) might win me over a bit.

But you are belittling my opinion and now even calling me daft, saying I'm rose tinted spectacled and because my opinion is negative, its now just another TWC moan. That's not a very nice or balanced or reasoned way to approach a debate in my humble opinion. Your're being derogative, directly and unfairly at me personally. Not on.

So I'll repeat, I'm glad you guys enjoy it. I said that sincerely. Its great that you're happy with where the series is. I just wish I was. For me its unfortunate that I don't think much of it and for me the series has been in a steady decline for some time. Rome II is CA's worst hour for me.

In numerous posts before I clearly tried to express some detail why I think the engine is in need of overhaul and showing its age limitations. The warscape has always had problems and for me these problems still remain unresolved and in many ways the cracks seem to appear bigger the more they try to "improve" it and keep it visually up to date. You could hit its limitations with Empire and Napoleon via unit size mods, but with Rome II it seems to hit those same limitations much more easily, hence why I dont think its where it could/should be.

I've played literally thousands of hours across the franchise. Shogun 2 I thought lacked interest for me personally and Rome II, technical short comings to one side, still lacks soul for me too. As for CA now being great having released 16+ patches and free dlc, simply isn't good enough for me. But I'm not going to digress overtly into the business practices they followed/actioned. But it wasn't pretty.

Yes previous titles like Empire released in a shocking state. But you know what, I saw the magic in it at the beginning and still play it now. Rome 2 still isnt right for me and was shockingly poor at release, for me, beyond anything prior to it to date. And I wont ever be returning to it, which is sad. All the other titles I still play now. With ironically the older ones more so than anything more recent. A sure sign of decline.

Now thats called an opinion. We all have a right to one and it shouldn't matter if its a minority one or a majority one. Your assumed, conjectural stats are here say and nothing more, even if they mattered. Which they dont. My opinion is expressed regardless of popularity or synchronicity with the mob. For you to post a case argument based on poll swings is frankly far dafter than what I am accused of by you.

Now wouldn't it be far nicer if we just agreed to disagree. They after all opinions and neither should really be belittled, if of course you're into the concept of being reasonable with a fellow gamer.

tl;dr
it failed and still fails to meet my expectations.

Last edited:
Soldato
But you are belittling my opinion and now even calling me daft, saying I'm rose tinted spectacled and because my opinion is negative, its now just another TWC moan. That's not a very nice or balanced or reasoned way to approach a debate in my humble opinion. Your're being derogative, directly and unfairly at me personally. Not on..
No, I said you're reply to the guy having problems was daft. not your opinions. soapboxing instead of suggesting things that might help and over blowing the current situation with the "me and loads of others " comment is daft.

I've played literally thousands of hours across the franchise. Shogun 2 I thought lacked interest for me personally and Rome II, technical short comings to one side, still lacks soul for me too. As for CA now being great having released 16+ patches and free dlc, simply isn't good enough for me. But I'm not going to digress overtly into the business practices they followed/actioned. But it wasn't pretty.
well so have I and I agreed it wasn't pretty on release, but that bears no relation to the game now so this seems pretty pointless. You didn't just say it lacked soul, you said it was fundamentally broken. one is subjective, one can be proven.

But you know what, I saw the magic in it at the beginning and still play it now.
fair enough but that's an entirely emotive point about a game not under discussion, likewise many people hated the switch to the boring ranged battles.

A sure sign of decline.
for you. not particularly for anyone else. Even disregarding personal preference I could be playing the older titles because of the highly developed mods (EB etc) not because the current game is particularly bad.

Now thats called an opinion. We all have a right to one and it shouldn't matter if its a minority one or a majority one. Your assumed, conjectural stats are here say and nothing more, even if they mattered. Which they dont. My opinion is expressed regardless of popularity or synchronicity with the mob. For you to post a case argument based on poll swings is frankly far dafter than what I am accused of by you.
You can state your opinion, I can challenge it, that's the point of a board. kindly stop trying to feel persecuted. btw poll swings are entirely useful bits of information, it indicates change.

heh daft is it? well thats not a very nice or balanced or reasoned way to approach a debate in my humble opinion. Your're being derogative, directly and unfairly at me personally. ;)

Now wouldn't it be far nicer if we just agreed to disagree. They after all opinions and neither should really be belittled, if of course you're into the concept of being reasonable with a fellow gamer
its not unreasonable to point out your experience is the minority and that it doesn't help the poster with the issue you were replying to.

Last edited:
Associate
@nutella

Lots of spin there. Well done. Life's too short for ping ponging snipes.

I've said what I feel is correct from my perspective. I'm more than happy for you to try and win me over by positive highlighting of all the things the game does right, which may counter the negatives I've expressed. Tell me how you think the warscape engine is brilliant, tell me how wonderful the game concepts of Rome II are now and how it runs superbly with delicious eye candy. Whatever, that's fine. But we're not going to progress further if you keep pinning your argument's merits on my opinion being a minority and therefore of lessened value. As I've already tried to point out. That is unsubstantiated dribble. Each of our perspectives are subjective opinions, of which some will agree and some will not. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Soldato
Folks, bit of a noodle scratcher.

Im playing the prologue, and come to the last bit of the prologue.

HOWEVER I have noticed that I am only able to raise a maximum of 2 general.

Youtube videos of people doing the prologue more than a year ago, shows that they can have THREE generals.

Is this a bug? Has the limits changed in a patch?

Any clarification appreciated folks, thanks.

Soldato
Folks, bit of a noodle scratcher.

Im playing the prologue, and come to the last bit of the prologue.
I'll be honest, its been years since I played through it but generally as your empire expands you step up levels which allows you to recruit more generals/agents. so have you tried conquering a few cities? A signal is the "imperium" bar when your looking at your family/council page. I cant remember if its restricted in the prologue or not though.

@Nutella
I've said what I feel is correct from my perspective. I'm more than happy for you to try and win me over by positive highlighting of all the things the game does right, which may counter the negatives I've expressed... And all the other hyperbole
I'm not trying to win you over, like I said previously and we've both agreed on. that's your opinion.
It was how you presented it and how it was framed in response to another poster I took issue with.

Likewise I'm not saying the game is perfect so trying to insinuate that's my position is also "dribble".

All your post has done is reinstate a position which I've already answered in the previous post and then try and paint my position as something its not whilst trying to look like a reconciliation with your first line completely betraying the rest of the post.
As you say "spin".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom