Rome 2 : Total War

Soldato
I think it was beta patch 8 when I gave up, just wasn't right for playing even though it was getting better.

Just tried it with divide et imperia and my frame rates with a 970 are into single figures during battles, also artillery based troops do almost no damage, will stick with it for a bit though, graphic updates look good so far

Soldato
Decided to pre order Atilla. I deliberated for a while on that but for less than £17 it seemed, for me, to be worth it.
Whether I'll enjoy the time period etc as much as the RTW one I'm not sure but the extra fluffy bits over that of Rome might keep me interested.
Hopefully it will be in a better state at launch than Rome was, then again very few of their other titles were fee of major issues at release. Seems part of the course these days for many AAA games.
If it is borked at release I'll carry on playing "How to survive" for a while longer.

Associate
Decided to pre order Atilla. I deliberated for a while on that but for less than £17 it seemed, for me, to be worth it.
Whether I'll enjoy the time period etc as much as the RTW one I'm not sure but the extra fluffy bits over that of Rome might keep me interested.
Hopefully it will be in a better state at launch than Rome was, then again very few of their other titles were fee of major issues at release. Seems part of the course these days for many AAA games.
If it is borked at release I'll carry on playing "How to survive" for a while longer.

http://youtu.be/uYT-ojkuozg

It is a beta version this guys playing but looking at the video I'm not touching it, same ****e different day.

Associate
Personally I'm going to stay behind the curve for all Total Wars now and buy only when in sales and finished/patched.

Despite my grievances with Rome II, I might reinstall it and just play the occasional custom battle on it. With that in mind even if Attila turns out bad, you'll surely get something out of it. For me I've just lowered my expectations.

Associate
Personally I'm going to stay behind the curve for all Total Wars now and buy only when in sales and finished/patched.

Despite my grievances with Rome II, I might reinstall it and just play the occasional custom battle on it. With that in mind even if Attila turns out bad, you'll surely get something out of it. For me I've just lowered my expectations.

I reinstalled the other week and was surprised how well it ran on my computer. Feels a different game compared to when it was released imo.

Associate
Can some of you give me advise on graphic settings? I might try lowering some. I've sussed that unit detail makes big differences, any other advice? Unlimited memory on or off?

Thanks.

Soldato

Yep, no way I'd ever buy TW on release again either.

Soldato
After Empire and Rome 2 I'd never get another Total War game on release. Both were totally unplayable on release anyway so I could have just waited for them to be on sale.

This is a wise choice, and something I've now done for a while. You pay peanuts for a game that actually feels finished. That goes for lots of other releases, too.

Associate
Yep, no way I'd ever buy TW on release again either.

Same with me. After the disasters of Empire and Rome 2 on release I don't feel I can trust CA any longer. I still don't care much for Rome 2 even after all the patches. I agree that the Warscape engine is looking its age, sadly.

Associate
Tonight I was comparing battles between Rome II and Napoleon. And I'm sorry but Napoleon is simply far more epic and better optimised. I'm definitely walking away from Rome II now. I've tried so hard to get on with it. Its just not right to me.

As for the CA trust thing. Best to stay behind the curve these days with most AAA titles, so pre ordering for me really is a thing of the past unfortunately. But I apply that pretty much industry wide now, not just CA. In CA's defence they did actually try and fix Rome II. Some titles by other publishers are just abandoned.

Associate
I was hugely disappointed with the game at release. I even pre-ordered it as I was so excited....I've learnt from that one! Attila in steam sale for me...

On a plus note though, having waited around 10 months since launch for multiple patches the game has improved drastically. So much so, i've racked up more hours than the wife says I should have :D

Soldato
Gonna have a big sesh of this tonight and try and get into it - not tried it for months but the general consensus seems to be that the game has improved a lot and this period is really interesting imo.

Associate
I think I've pretty much fixed my issues with it. I've had such an up and down relationship with this game though, that I'll wait until I've spent a few more hours with it. But if my settings prove consistent, then I'll post them - hopefully they might help somebody.

The problem I had getting them set right is due to it being quite an arduous process. In battle some of the settings don't fully apply properly until exiting and re-starting. Also on some settings if you change them more than once during a battle it will cause a ctd. So with numerous settings, each of which have multiple options, then as you can imagine its taken me a fair few hours.

Anyway I've got what I believe is a very smooth experience now at 1080P with the camera zoomed in all the time and can strafe around with minimal issue under the most intense scenarios. Just need some more time with it though to check nothing comes out the woodwork, especially in siege battles.

Last edited:
Associate
Here's the best settings I came up with. Hope they help someone. These are set with zoomed in game play in mind, where smoothness consistency was priority.

Whilst my system is 980 SLI with an i7, I found the smoothness was in-game graphics setting dependant rather than hardware GPU limited. i.e these settings may benefit lower end systems too as neither my cards, nor my cpu are being heavily utilised by Rome II. My conclusion is and always has been that the engine in Rome II simply hits its own limitations regardless of how much brute force grunt you throw at it.

These settings were only with two 20 unit armies and heavily tested in large siege battles, zoomed in and constant strafing around with camera. Also campaign map tested.

In no particular order:

AA: Off (causes blurring but no noticeable performance impact with on)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: x16
Shadows: Medium
Water: Extreme
Sky: Extreme
Particle Effects: Very High (may cause occasional stutter with torches thrown at gates but anything lower causes poor ignited missile effects)
VA: Off
Unit Size: Medium
Building Detail: Extreme
Unit Details High
Trees: Medium
Grass: Medium
Terrain: Medium (impacts campaign map smoothness)
DOF: Off
Vsync: On
Distortion: On
Unlimited Memory: On (no performance impact noticed)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom