Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
Sorted the clearance problem.

T-class-fuse-holder-clearance.jpg

Pretty awkward to do though, had to drill a total of eight 13mm holes in the back of the box section, then fit M10 riv-nuts with little room to work in. The tool was 500mm long, the gap was only 530mm deep, and not much width given the shelving unit next to it, but its done now.

I will 3D print terminal covers for the breaker, all they supply it with it is a bit of rubber that doesn't fit very well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Progress, slow but getting there.

BMS mounted

BMS-and-T-Class-mounted.jpg

Heater plate - I was going to put a heater pad on the bottom of the tray, but that would heat the entire tray, but I found a bit of 10mm aluminium exactly the correct size, stuck two 24v 40w mirror demister pads on it for heating, and made some feet.

Heater-Plate.jpg

Added a bit of cloud 9 for insulation.

Heater-Plate-with-cloud-9.jpg

Positive battery connection - once the battery is installed I'll need to make some suitable clamps just to tidy the cables up, otherwise they hit the big breaker when the draw goes in.

The heater pad also has GRP sheet on in for electrical insulation.

Cabling-done.jpg

Soldato
OP
Designed and 3D printed a cover for the cable connection to the battery T class fuse holder.

Battery-Fuse-Cable-Cover.jpg

Assembled the pack, will fit the busbars and balance leads tomorrow.

Its a bit scary pulling the battery tray all the way out, the cells weigh 85kg, the aluminium heater tray is 5kg, and there's probably another 5kg in the drawer tray itself.

Battery-Compressed-1.jpg

Battery-Compressed-2.jpg

Battery-Compressed-3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, I do, I'll need to find somewhere to mount that.

when you first turn it on it will give you an error code, either 8 or 9, you just need to choose Lifep4 from the menu, and the number of cells to clear the error message.
(the screen connector that plug's into the BMS is a pain to remove, almost impossible if you have the BMS flat mounted to the side of the battery)

I can post up my settings that I have been running on 3 JK BMS battery packs trouble free for months, if it helps?

Last edited:
Associate
@Troop, yes that would be a big help, thanks also for the tip about the error code, presume you're using the JK BMS?

The BMS isn't tight against the battery, which will help with plugging/unplugging cables.

Yes, I have 3 JK BMS's running 3 separate battery packs. (same as you're running but 150A versions)

I'll take screen shots tomorrow morning of my full settings and post them here, be a good quick reference to check against.

Last edited:
Associate
@Ron-ski

OK, quick walk through, to change any settings in the advanced menu it will ask you for a Password (default is 123456)
You will be prompted to change it.

Best to work down the list in pairs, changing the lower figure first(on settings that relate to each other), as if you try changing the higher figure to below the lower one it will not accept the figure and revert to the original.
(save after every field change)

Ping me if you're not sure on anything

My settings, same on all 3 battery packs.

XyXAhGch.jpg

o0FHh7Vh.jpg

My babies :)

ysGyq3qh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had to spend some time sorting the boiler out today - condensate pump stopped working, so didn't get as much done as I thought, but I'd forgotten to bring my crimpers home anyway.

I now have a battery with with circa 52.8v :D

Still need to connect up the balance leads though.

Battery-with-Busbars.jpg

Soldato
OP
I hadn't checked for a while, it was approved on the 17th January.

I didn't want to attach the balance leads to the main clamping bolts, I ran through various idea's such as tapping the terminals (M4), tapping the flexi busbars, then I realised I could use the original supplied busbars, so drilled two holes in each busbar, tapped and finally cut them to just under half length.

Balance-Bars.jpg

Back
Top Bottom