Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
@Mafia_GF There's certainly a lot to set up, and its a little confusing as to what controls what when using ESS Assistant.

What did you set repeated absorbtion interval and repeated absorbtion time to? I left it at the default of 7 days and 1 hour, although I'm not really clear what its going to do.

Associate
@Mafia_GF There's certainly a lot to set up, and its a little confusing as to what controls what when using ESS Assistant.

What did you set repeated absorbtion interval and repeated absorbtion time to? I left it at the default of 7 days and 1 hour, although I'm not really clear what its going to do.
I have left them at the default values for the time being as I think the BMS will over-rule them in the end but basically the Absorption window is when the voltage has peeked at the max and then the current declines to a point when it reaches zero or thereabouts and the balancing takes place and the interval specify's how frequent this happens Ron - TBH its all very fluffy so I am waiting for confirmation to come through, I have a good idea what they will say.

I have given access to my system to my distributor who will pass to Victron so will see what happen now, expects some answers or hope arround a weeks time so in the meantime need to sort out my doc's ready to send back to Mr DNO.

System is working quite well but interesting to see how the ESS tweaks the charging or SOC when the battery state reaches ... or what the ESS thinks its reached SOC or below this.. this is why its important to sort the Dynamic Cut-Off's ( I think in-line with the BMS etc...)... its quite clever little system, really impressed Ron, I have 4 spare cells and really tempted to get another 8 to make another pack up as if what I have seen so far then it definitely worth the extra expense in the long run fella

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Mafia_GF I understand what the absorption time is for, its just the repeated absorption interval and repeated time I don't get. It should happen whenever the battery is fully charged, not on a schedule, this appears to be something left over from lead acid batteries.

I think I'll just set it to 45 days.

Don't you need another 12 cells to make a pack of 16?

Once I'm up and running and saved up a bit of cash I will be adding another battery, my inverter really needs two batteries to meet peak power demand.

Associate
@Mafia_GF I understand what the absorption time is for, its just the repeated absorption interval and repeated time I don't get. It should happen whenever the battery is fully charged, not on a schedule, this appears to be something left over from lead acid batteries.

I think I'll just set it to 45 days.

Don't you need another 12 cells to make a pack of 16?

Once I'm up and running and saved up a bit of cash I will be adding another battery, my inverter really needs two batteries to meet peak power demand.

"It should happen whenever the battery is fully charged" - exactly, at the point when V & I are maxed out then the current drain down etc..

I cannot really comment if left over from LA Batteries, its strange really why when you select Lithium then its still there.. who knows really apart from the programmer who wrote the software/algorithm Ron, but what is says is that the interval is how frequent it does it and time is how long.

Yep my bad need 12 more cells

Associate
Man I've been following along as I've just started putting together a very similar set up. I purchased the Multiplus-ii 5000/48 instead, as I'm going with a separate consumer unit to my mains. But loving all the intricate details and thought you guys have put into your systems, the wealth of knowledge has really helped me out. Especially the last few pages!

One question Ron, where did you purchase the zbeny breakers from? I messaged the company itself but they can only do 40 minimum, little OTT for my usage. It'll pain me paying £120 for the Voltacon one, especially after the Class T fuse cost.

Soldato
OP
Have you actually left him anything to do? Gonna be his easiest visit of the week. :p

There's a fair bit to do, the redirected mains has to be plumbed in both ends. Due to this I need a new consumer unit in the house, as it's not up to current standards, which means everything needs testing. Also a new consumer unit in the garage, some switch gear to by pass the inverter should the need arise- if the inverter doesn't work it won't pass power through to the house, so we need an emergency bypass. He'll also test the panels, and run cables in to my isolators. Hopefully it's just two days work, there is two of them.

@Elkcarcx I've sent you a PM.

Soldato
OP
I've now first fixed all my new sockets & fused spurs, new conduit installed, holes drilled where required, so that's already for the electricians to run in the new cables.

I've cut, drilled all the spacers, and trial fitted a panel, good job I did as the ones with the spacers will need longer bolts.

First-Panel-Trial-Fitted.jpg

Soldato
OP
Little update on my smart meter debacle, I emailed Octopus a few days ago, asking who to complain to, as we are now at 19 weeks since I raised the issue. They have now raised a complaint, and looks like they have instructed their engineers to replace the meters and tails as I also requested a meter tail upgrade (which prior Googling suggests is free) to 25mm2.

So hopefully new working meters will be installed soon, along with new tails, so if I need a DNO fuse upgrade in the future it is ready.

Soldato
OP
I had a day off yesterday, and went up to London for the day with the wife and kids.

Back to work today though, new outside socket put on the wall, with internal conduit fitted, that was the last thing to prep for the garage wiring.

Some brackets made and bolted to the frames for securing the MC4 connectors between the panels. I fitted four panels, MC4's are just capped off so the panels can be tested on Tuesday.

Still getting a fair bit of shading from a neighbours tree around the middle of the day, the picture below was taken at 15:40.

I think pretty much everything is done ready for electricians on Tuesday, couple of little bits I need to pickup tomorrow and fit though, hopefully haven't forgotten anything.

First-panels-on.jpg

Back
Top Bottom