Rooney asks to leave, Utd say not for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not often I have sympathy for manc fans but in this case he is treating them with utter contempt

Why do you think he wants to leave though?

Like, I could understand if there was interest from say, Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern and maybe Juve, then that interest had resulted in a formal bid which was rejected, I get handing in a request over that.

I think he thinks he's better than he actually is and maybe that he thinks he's got an over inflated opinion of his importance to the club? Now that he's seen how well the team perform without him maybe he's fed up at not being top dog?

I doubt it, I can't see Moyes wanting to shake the boat too much too soon. We may see a couple of players go and a couple come in but I'd be surprised if it's a proper clearout.

Manchester United could easily trim the rubbish from the squad and reinvest in better players or potential.

I agree though that Moyes won't want to rock the boat too much as I think in his first season(s) he will be working quite closely with Ferguson anyway, I just can't see Ferguson handing the keys over and walking away.

Why are people wondering why he thinks he'll be better off. If he goes to certain clubs he can ask for a higher wage, if he goes to certain countries he can pay less tax as well.

I also agree with the idea he thinks he's better than he is. He's tried to move into other roles that are closer to midfield, he wants to get on the ball and prove he can dominate the best teams in the world.... he can't. He can make a very effective player if he picks with or is given a specific position and he stays with it. The withdrawn striker/playmaker, is something he's not great at, and the central midfield role, lol.

ULtimately I don't see why fans think he's treating them with contempt, he said he wants to leave, because, he wants to leave, if thats for football, or money, so what. He's a footballer, nothing else, he can ply his trade anywhere that will have him, and he can choose to want to play anywhere he wants, like anyone else in the world can want to work elsewhere. All this owing and deserving and loyalty BS does my head in, almost as much as the mythical idea about football experience being different to european experience, like its two entirely different games.

Let him go, his value will not increase from here on in, only decrease, not least because of contract length, but age, and everyone with a brain should realise his fitness is becoming a bigger problem every year, he's not putting in the same effort and isn't the world class player people like to pretend he is.

He gets his last shot at a big move and big contract, and Utd get their last shot at a big money transfer, the only club to lose is the one buying, Utd fans should be happy.

Ultimately some players are a one club type player, others have ambitions, maybe Rooney is like that and I'd congratulate him for not being a boring ***. Anyway, some players think winning a first title in say La Liga, is more important, and interesting than winning a 10th EPL title, or another FA cup. I would say, if his ambition is to be a "Beckham" level star, then staying at a single club in a single league is not going to achieve that. Playing for multiple top clubs, winning multiple titles in different leagues and gaining a fans from multiple different clubs and all the fans that follow those clubs/leagues worldwide is fairly important.

There is no way I'd want to, if a footballer, stay at Arsenal my entire career(lets assume they could win things) and win(or try to) the same title against the same people every single season. I'd want to try multiple leagues and play against everyone, I have no idea why we expect or want our players to stay at the same clubs for 20 years, its boring both seeing the same player, and seeing all the same guys in the same teams playing the same way all the time. Put Rooney into a different league, against mostly different players and Rooney will be more entertaining, and it wouldn't hurt England's chances(for those that care about it) to have some England players spreading their wings a bit and trying different leagues, different styles of football, different training methods, and playing against new opposition. If Rooney went to say Real, I think he'd improve as he tries to prove himself in a new league, has team mates to prove himself to, has a transfer fee to justify, has new teams to play against, etc, etc.

Last edited:
It's not often I have sympathy for manc fans but in this case he is treating them with utter contempt

Why ? Cause he wants to leave ? Oh the horror. It's his life, he's been at united for 9 years and worked his ass off for the team for most of that time.

He can do whatever he wants just like we are all free to leave our employers if we want.

Gill has met Mendes in Madrid apparently.

While this is undoubtedly true - I question whether this is just 2+2 = 5 from the media and its not one of Mendes' other clients Gill went to talk about.

(Utd have already been linked to 2 others that I can remember in the last couple of months or so)

While I hope it is Ronaldo, he is on the record recently saying he will honour his contract at RM, and the lure of Man Utd -for CR - wont be nearly the same without SAF there on a day to day basis

Why ? Cause he wants to leave ? Oh the horror. It's his life, he's been at united for 9 years and worked his ass off for the team for most of that time.

He can do whatever he wants just like we are all free to leave our employers if we want.

if it was the first time that would be a bit different but every time something happens he doesn't like the toys go out the pram until he gets his own way or bought off

ULtimately I don't see why fans think he's treating them with contempt,

probably because when he first wanted to leave, fans ****ged him off. rooney bent the club over, got a pay rise and 'get fit' course in oregon. comes back, scores, all is forgotten.

now he does it again, they now see his true colours (it seemed to be obvious to anyone but united fans)

While I hope it is Ronaldo, he is on the record recently saying he will honour his contract at RM, and the lure of Man Utd -for CR - wont be nearly the same without SAF there on a day to day basis

He scored t'other night and was shouting I'm staying at the cameras.

Manchester United fans obsessive love for him and their hope of him returning is cute :3.

Guardiola had the cajones to clear out many many players when he took over.

Really? The guys that left, Edmilson, Thuram, Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta were all in general guys between 28-35 or so. The first two there were out of contract, the second two had been injured or dropped so only played half of the previous season, were getting on, were about to drop any value they had at all and weren't playing very well. Ronaldino had a poor and injury hit season, Deco had really been meh for 3 years, with only his first season at Barca being top notch. Zambrotta is really the only guy playing well enough, not too old and in contract that it didn't really make sense to get rid of, until you factor in who they wanted as a replacement.

Guardiola did a bit of an AVB by announcing who wouldn't be involved in the team any more when he took over, and he went back on his words at Eto'o who had another fantastic season.

All of them but Zambrotta had were out of contract or had issues with the club publically in the previous years, were approaching end of contracts and the club wouldn't want to hand guys going over 30 brand new expensive deals, particularly when the main guys, Deco and Ronaldinho, liked to party and weren't trying hard any more.

Almost any manager would have gotten rid of most of those, and even Zambrotta, Alves wasn't an unknown, everyone was trying to sign him, its not surprising that you move on a first team right back when you spend up to £30mil with add on's for a new right back, hardly ballsy.

Name some of our players who are not in decline? Rio, vidic, evra, giggs, Rooney, welbeck. Rvp hit 37 last season, only 29 this.

Etoo had just hit 36 goals before being sold.

His best ever season until the one after next at his new club. Not sure that's a sign of decline like..Ronny had scored less but also played less too..

Name some of our players who are not in decline? Rio, vidic, evra, giggs, Rooney, welbeck. Rvp hit 37 last season, only 29 this.

Etoo had just hit 36 goals before being sold.

His best ever season until the one after next at his new club. Not sure that's a sign of decline like..Ronny had scored less but also played less too..

He didn't get rid of Eto'o straight away though did he? He kept Eto'o around for a season didn't he? Either way, he was a player on the decline.

I can name Manchester United players not in the decline, Samba Nev for example.

I don't really understand what point you're trying to make as per, and find myself agreeing with DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom