• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 2080 Ti delay when i pre-ordered on day of announcement from OC UK!

Soldato
Its simple they are not well known and not as wanted compared to the other cards. Everyone wants Strix / EVGA / MSI etc

Well, i know both of them, i know them because I've had them in the past, had problems and discovered their RMA support is basically zero and had to put through credit card claims to get a resolution. Most of the others are a bit of a pain too but chances are you will actually get some sort of replacement within 3-4 weeks. They also only offer 2 years where most of them offer 4.

Because of this they also have crap resale value.

Its not because they aren't well known, they are well known but for negative reasons.

Soldato
Well, i know both of them, i know them because I've had them in the past, had problems and discovered their RMA support is basically zero and had to put through credit card claims to get a resolution. Most of the others are a bit of a pain too but chances are you will actually get some sort of replacement within 3-4 weeks. They also only offer 2 years where most of them offer 4.

Because of this they also have crap resale value.

Its not because they aren't well known, they are well known but for negative reasons.

What the hell? Most of that info is false. For Inno3D, Palit, Gainward, the warranty is dealt with by the whoever you bought the card off. And if you really have dealt with all these manufacturers directly you would know that Asus and MSI are the two worst. Palit and Gainward are easy to deal with, the only problem is Palit's RMA to Hong Kong. Gainward is in Germany. Gigabyte and EVGA are probably the two quickest and best companies if you have to return a card directly. Zotac has the longest Warranty and one of the quickest turn around times but people would still buy Asus and MSI over one. Despite Asus and MSI having much worse customer support.

The only thing you have right is the length of Warranty.

Soldato
My palit gtx 1070 was the most well built GPU I have ever owned.

Warranties how often has someone had a GPU fail that worked well for the first year but then broke between years 1 and 3? Unless its self inflicted like physical damage, over volting, modding etc.

The only time I have ever had to RMA 'any' pc equipment is a monitor in 24 years of pc usage.

This is why I dont really care about manufacturer warranties.

Soldato
What the hell? Most of that info is false. For Inno3D, Palit, Gainward, the warranty is dealt with by the whoever you bought the card off. And if you really have dealt with all these manufacturers directly you would know that Asus and MSI are the two worst. Palit and Gainward are easy to deal with, the only problem is Palit's RMA to Hong Kong. Gainward is in Germany. Gigabyte and EVGA are probably the two quickest and best companies if you have to return a card directly. Zotac has the longest Warranty and one of the quickest turn around times but people would still buy Asus and MSI over one. Despite Asus and MSI having much worse customer support.

The only thing you have right is the length of Warranty.

You send your card to the retailer yes, who then send it on to the manufacturer. Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA I've returned stuff through and always gotten a replacement within 28 days and sometimes a slight upgrade in the process. Pallit and Inno3d I've returned stuff, gone over the 28 days, tried to get a resolution from the retailer and been offered peanuts and had to go through CC company. Not all GPU's but I can't see how Asus' monitor warranty process would be drastically different to GPU for example.

I've not used MSI's RMA process but I have had a number of MSI cards and not had any problems with them.

For me, I'm simply not going to buy a £1100 GPU with a 2 year warranty, when for the same price I can get a 4 year warranty from another brand. If there are any problems then I can fall back on a credit card claim, but having 4 years to do that instead of 2 is a big plus imo, and pallit and inno definitely have worse resale value when you tell people its out of warranty vs having 2 years left.

Soldato
40 isnt that much over 10 years, you seem to be getting very unusual failure rates.

40 PC's is, what, over 200 components? Considering some of these include monitors and what not it could be closer to 300.

So 1 a year over 10 years would still be under 5%. Considering up to 3% DOA is considered normal for some components I don't think its that strange.

Soldato
Well in 10 years I would say I have built about 20-30 PCs myself and the only RMA was that monitor, I have never had any kind of issue on a GPU or CPU that warranted a return that was not user inflicted.

5% I consider a very high failure rate, I would expect something more like 0.5%.

I have had memory and spindle disks that had to be returned but that was present immediately so effectively DOA.

Note DOA and failure between 1 and 3 years are different things.

What kind of environments have these PCs been used in? heavy workshops? places with excessive heating?, were they moved around a lot? excessive power cycles?

Soldato
Well in 10 years I would say I have built about 20-30 PCs myself and the only RMA was that monitor, I have never had any kind of issue on a GPU or CPU that warranted a return that was not user inflicted.

5% I consider a very high failure rate, I would expect something more like 0.5%.

I have had memory and spindle disks that had to be returned but that was present immediately so effectively DOA.

Note DOA and failure between 1 and 3 years are different things.

What kind of environments have these PCs been used in? heavy workshops? places with excessive heating?, were they moved around a lot? excessive power cycles?

Maybe it was user inflicted, i didn't ask, if i build a PC for a mate and he needs help then I help, I'm not saying palit have higher failure rates, I'm saying if you send something off the likelyhood is you'll never hear back from them.

iirc the palit card I had that failed (and this was me personally) was under a month old, which is why it really irked me that I had to wait basically 2 months to not hear anything back and get the CC company to accept that I was owed a full refund, so I was basically without a gaming PC for 2 months, ymmv

Last edited:
Soldato
In the end the CC refund was probably better anyway, as dont RMA's give you refurbished parts back?

I have always found that dodgy with RMA's, that you dont get something brand new in return.

Associate
OP i was in the same boat as you. Ordered Duke Ti from OCUK immediately after announcement and was getting annoyed with waiting for so long for stock (months!)
No communication from OCUK and watching other cards come in and out of stock with all the crazy price gouging.
OCUK wouldnt even honour my preorder by moving my order to another card they had stock in for a few weeks back (gigabyte gaming oc) without me paying the +£300 price gouging difference.
Pretty ****** considering I've shopped here for 20 years.
I just cancelled and bought from Nvidia direct. I received the card within 24 hours.
The FE has been great and oc'ed effortlessly so it you're still waiting on stock I'd suggest you just cancel and get the FE.

Last edited:
Associate
My palit gtx 1070 was the most well built GPU I have ever owned.

Warranties how often has someone had a GPU fail that worked well for the first year but then broke between years 1 and 3? Unless its self inflicted like physical damage, over volting, modding etc.

The only time I have ever had to RMA 'any' pc equipment is a monitor in 24 years of pc usage.

This is why I dont really care about manufacturer warranties.
My 1080ti FE just failed after 18 months so it does happen but it’s the first ever in 20 years or about 40 cards!

Soldato
OP i was in the same boat as you. Ordered Duke Ti from OCUK immediately after announcement and was getting annoyed with waiting for so long for stock (months!)
No communication from OCUK and watching other cards come in and out of stock with all the crazy price gouging.
OCUK wouldnt even honour my preorder by moving my order to another card they had stock in for a few weeks back (gigabyte gaming oc) without me paying the +£300 price gouging difference.
Pretty ****** considering I've shopped here for 20 years.
I just cancelled and bought from Nvidia direct. I received the card within 24 hours.
The FE has been great and oc'ed effortlessly so it you're still waiting on stock I'd suggest you just cancel and get the FE.

OCUK changed my order from the duke 2080ti to a gigabyte arous 2080ti with no problems at all very very helpful they have been.

Associate
I had my order changed too. I paid the difference between the launch price of the Trio and the launch price of the Aorus, because that’s fair. Annoying as the delay on the MSI cards is, it’s not OCUK’s fault.

Associate
Just to inform you guys, if anyone is still holding on, Overclockers have finally shipped my MSI Trio. Huge relief.
I hope you guys get yours soon too!

Back
Top Bottom