• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Here we go again with people bizarrely expecting this to be sold at MRSP. (Not going to happen).

Now AIB cards have been sold at MRSP in this generation and they are extremely unlikely to be either.

Gibbo has explained a number of reasons why this happens yet people are seemingly unable to listen or understand why.

Nvidia sell the FE cards at MRSP because they decide too, it doesn't mean they are actually making a profit from them. And if they are it doesn't mean everyone else can considering they have to buy certain parts from Nvidia at a mark up where as Nvidia supply themselves.

Those FE cards are also sold in small numbers to not impact overall margins and everyone can see and understand and surely grasp they are sold in small numbers, particular stuff like the 3080 that rarely drop and if they do only last for seconds.

It's more likely a case they can sell the chipsets to AIB's instead for more profit and without the hassle of having to build the FE cards themselves and all the issues involved.

There has been more FE cards sold on the bay than aib, goes to show they have sold loads. There is a poll on here showing the majority had fe cards v aib.

There has been more FE cards sold on the bay than aib, goes to show they have sold loads. There is a poll on here showing the majority had fe cards v aib.

FE cards demand a premium on eBay because they are FHR (certain models at least).

Most on here will buy and wait for FE's because of the cost.

AIB's won't sell as often on ebay as they are already scalped by distribution/retailers/AIB's so there's not as much profit in them to be scalped.

And how do you quantify loads exactly?

Will see once the reviews hit, but 130W means this isn't really going to replace a 1650 as a PCIe power only thing. Both AMD and Nvidia are cranking the cards to max then this gen.

You expect us to believe nvidia are making no profit on a £650 3080FE....

Did I say that?

Look at their financial reports, look at their profit margin. Then engage brain and think it over.
If you want to protect your profit margin, you would not sell that many of a product that is lower than your typical profit margin.

What evidence of this do you have? Shows 804 sales of 3080 / 3080 Ti in last three months on Ebay for the UK.
Now I know in the past three months we have shipped couple hundred 3080Ti and a few 3080, so it is fair to say that the rest of the UK system integrators and resellers combined have shipped more.

Also factor in that I believe FE cards are not sold in all countries whereas AIB cards are, just like AMD don't sell their own reference cards here in the UK.

Also the clues are in the financial reports, NVIDIA is an absolute beast of a company, so them shipping say 300ish 3080/3080Ti in UK market per month won't even register, probably would need to be more like 30,000.

Then the fact that NVIDIA is the manufacturer, they can set any price they want. It is their product, their rules!

My believe is an MSRP should be what a product can be purchased at easily today and in a months time, it should have enough margin available to cover any potential currency fluctuation etc.
The difference is now the MSRP set by AMD and NVIDIA is for their OWN product that they build in house and can afford to make reduced margin on by limiting sales by doing sporadic drops. Board partners have additional cost and is why many have now started setting their own MSRP's to try and avoid the confusion.

When a board partner does a product at MSRP it is generally below or around their cost and as such they tend to only do it for a limited quantity of cards which get sold on launch or when they arrive with the reseller and only if the reseller believes they can achieve it without a massive over sales issue, aka 3080 where resellers were then losing money on products shipped out or having to cancel orders.

Last edited:
The 3080FE is the golden egg for end-users, for Nvidia, they're making higher-level GA102 cards that they can make more profit on and then you get the odd dribble of 3080FE's, to me that says they dont care as much as they say they do about helping gamers get cards, and the market showing how much people will really pay for a card tips in Nvidia's behaviour, that and the bit where Nvidia needs to grease some palms to get the ARM deal to go through means they need to get some cash in the bank lol

Well that says 'almost' 1000, see how true that is..

Given there are 6500XT's at £340 I really don't see the 3050 staying at MSRP for more than that first 'almost' 1000 cards..

I've got a build for the offspring to do to replace her Surface 3, if I can get a card at MSRP then I'll do that, if I can't then I'll be looking at some sort of APU build..

Given there are 6500XT's at £340 I really don't see the 3050 staying at MSRP for more than that first 'almost' 1000 cards..

The 6500xt is still £200, on this very website. overclockers put one model on sale already!

Quite a few with 10+ stock in as well.

Demand for the 6500xt was clearly massively overestimated.

It’s not that demand was over estimated, it’s just that it’s not a very good product at that price point IMO.

The only people that it’s viable for either don’t have a dedicated GPU or have something so really very old (we are talking 6+ years) to actually make it an upgrade.

Videocardz.com posted about leaked hashrate.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-is-not-good-for-ethereum-mining

Our source in China provided some Ethereum mining performance of the upcoming RTX 3050 graphics card. It appears that the card ships with the Lite Hash Rate algorithm in place because the hash rate drops from 20-ish to 12.5 MH/s in a matter of seconds. You can see that to achieve this hash rate, the card only consumes 73W.

Videocardz.com posted about leaked hashrate.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-is-not-good-for-ethereum-mining

Our source in China provided some Ethereum mining performance of the upcoming RTX 3050 graphics card. It appears that the card ships with the Lite Hash Rate algorithm in place because the hash rate drops from 20-ish to 12.5 MH/s in a matter of seconds. You can see that to achieve this hash rate, the card only consumes 73W.

12.5mh/s at 73w is terrible.

Won't be profitable if your paying for electricity.

Back
Top Bottom