• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

I wonder if the damage is already done. Even if the cards are fine the perception that MLCC is better might convince manufacturers to switch their designs even if it's not necessary or advantageous. We might even end up with inferior MLCC setups being used with cheaper caps or too many MLCC when a mix might be better. It will be interesting to see if Gigabyte switch their design in the coming months.
I also worry this will affect the resaleability of full SP-Cap cards. Still deciding if I should cancel my pre-order for the Gigabyte Eagle.

i feel the damage is allready done the new story spread like wildfire and every tech youtuber and site got in on the act with no real vailidation or testing. zotac is the worst hit as there cards are used as the basis for them all. i have a zotac trinity on pre order and im worried they will be forced to recall or even delay shipments to redeasign the cards and not push anymore out till they use MLCC.

i dont belive that the sp-caps are the issue just drivers and silicon lottery and the new amyphee architecture and 8nm samsung process is at its limit this generation and they allready squeezed as much out of them as they can

i feel the damage is allready done the new story spread like wildfire and every tech youtuber and site got in on the act with no real vailidation or testing. zotac is the worst hit as there cards are used as the basis for them all. i have a zotac trinity on pre order and im worried they will be forced to recall or even delay shipments to redeasign the cards and not push anymore out till they use MLCC.

i dont belive that the sp-caps are the issue just drivers and silicon lottery and the new amyphee architecture and 8nm samsung process is at its limit this generation and they allready squeezed as much out of them as they can

If Zotac and Gigabyte suddenly switch to a mixed design it's pretty much admitting there was an issue even if it is just for appearance. Will that mean they then do product recall for already sold cards or will we have less desirable revision 1's etc. It's quite a difficult decision.

I wonder if the damage is already done. Even if the cards are fine the perception that MLCC is better might convince manufacturers to switch their designs even if it's not necessary or advantageous. We might even end up with inferior MLCC setups being used with cheaper caps or too many MLCC when a mix might be better. It will be interesting to see if Gigabyte switch their design in the coming months.
I also worry this will affect the resaleability of full SP-Cap cards. Still deciding if I should cancel my pre-order for the Gigabyte Eagle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6NrbJllzk&ab_channel=der8auer 20mhz difference. stop worrying look for evidence. its all silicon lottery how high 1 card boosts compared with other ones

Just tested my palit 3080 on new drivers and clocks are higher than it was before.

Its now at 2000 and it stays a straight line when it's not stressed. Before this used to be all over the place even on ult tab.

When it's running a game clocks are up and down same as before.

Anyway I'm happy with the update, I was worried they were going to nerf the clocks but I gained a bit and it's more stable.

Also it seems card is running cooler now

Just tested my palit 3080 on new drivers and clocks are higher than it was before.

Its now at 2000 and it stays a straight line when it's not stressed. Before this used to be all over the place even on ult tab.

When it's running a game clocks are up and down same as before.

Anyway I'm happy with the update, I was worried they were going to nerf the clocks but I gained a bit and it's more stable.

Also it seems card is running cooler now
thats good . im hearing mixed results some owners report nerfed clocks but mostly positive reviews. Mine not crashing at stock will wait for more feedback from gigabyte 3080 gaming oc owners before i update driver

thats good . im hearing mixed results some owners report nerfed clocks but mostly positive reviews. Mine not crashing at stock will wait for more feedback from gigabyte 3080 gaming oc owners before i update driver
I went through the update and roll back process twice. The latest driver crashes on Black Desert online on my Gigabyte Gaming OC, but the 1st driver doesn't. I never had a a crash issue with any game I tried anyway, so I will skip this latest driver and wait for one that does something I need

i see thanks for heads up. Not many owners crashing with new driver. You should report it to nvidia so they can fix it with new driver

So yeah the new NVIDIA driver had basically dropped the frequency and voltage down just a tiny amount.
Which is inline with unofficial fix of manually under volting the card with a custom boost curve.

My frequency is up on the new driver.

Some cards are boosting higher with the new driver and some lower so looks like they've probably done something other than just a simple voltage and clock reduction.

People are reporting more stable clocks where before it was bouncing around around all over the place.

Hopefully we'll see some testing soon with old vs new drivers as Nvidia don't seem willing to divulge what the hell they've done in the driver patch notes. If they were just transparent with this sort of thing it would save them a lot of headaches with speculation.

Some cards are boosting higher with the new driver and some lower so looks like they've probably done something other than just a simple voltage and clock reduction.

People are reporting more stable clocks where before it was bouncing around around all over the place.

Hopefully we'll see some testing soon with old vs new drivers as Nvidia don't seem willing to divulge what the hell they've done in the driver patch notes. If they were just transparent with this sort of thing it would save them a lot of headaches with speculation.

I doubt it they have done much more than adjust the curve for everyone on the new drivers.
(Maybe fixed some in-game bugs etc).
See update 5: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/g...ely-due-to-poscap-and-mlcc-configuration.html

People were still getting decent frame rates and consistently less frequency bounce by manually lowering the voltage.
And their cards were running cooler and drawing less power.

It's just a fine tune on a card per card bases really.
Seeing how low you can drop the voltage while staying rock stable and not hurting the performance.

Last edited:
The resale value of cards with SPcaps is going to be less than cards (which maybe have worst silicone) with MLCC caps on them. I can see it now in the MM - Which caps does this card have thanks? If SP ill pass thanks..

Back
Top Bottom