• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

I'm so confused by all this.

I've got a Gigabyte Eagle 3080 OC on its way to me (some time between now and never, seemingly). Am I going to have stability issues if I just use the card within sensible limits? I'm not trying to build a powerhouse gaming rig here, just something that can run my driving and flight sims as nicely as possible.

Meaning, I'm not chasing fps here. That extra 2fps achieved by hitting a magical cooling/voltage profile isn't going to define my world. So whilst I've bought an OC card, this isn't because I want mega performance. I will not be further messing around with OC settings etc.

What I'm asking is: are the issues that people are reporting in relation to pushing the cards and systems to their limits? Or are they crapping out under normal loads?

The short answer is you'll be fine, your card will be fine, everything will be fine you've got nothing to worry about.

Zotac released a statement on there gpus.

We have seen many reports from users of GeForce RTX 3080 (including the 3080 Trinity) graphics cards crashing during gaming. A new GeForce driver version 456.55 has been released and we urge all to re-install your graphics card drivers as we believe it should improve stability.

We would like to reassure our customers who either have a ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics card on hand or have placed an order in your local retailer or etailer to continue having confidence in us and our products. Our graphics cards have undergone stringent testing and quality controls in design and manufacturing to ensure safety and great performance. At ZOTAC, product quality and your satisfaction are always very important to us.

Please contact your local service center or our support team in case you need help or have further questions relating to our products.

https://www.techpowerup.com/272778/...t-on-geforce-rtx-3080-crash-to-desktop-issues

Official response on the issue from Gigabyte:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1840

My apologies in advance if this has already been posted.
Cheers for this, tallies with what I thought. Used Gigabyte for years and years and yet to have a single issue with the brand.

The cavemen still won't get the idea that "POSCAP BAD" is complete nonsense. We've got JayzTwoBraincells to thank for that...

So just to confirm, all the problems that were previously experienced have been eliminated (or at least largely mitigated) by a simple driver update? So there's no longer a need to cancel preorders?

So just to confirm, all the problems that were previously experienced have been eliminated (or at least largely mitigated) by a simple driver update? So there's no longer a need to cancel preorders?
Largely mitigated as they haven't really "fixed" anything, the driver apparently just limits / reigns in the boost clock. People who have installed it say they now have a lower clock.

I'm going to set up a shonky tech review YouTube channel with 5 subscribers to guarantee I get a 4080 in good time. Can't believe the quality of some of the channels that got 3000 series cards to review.
Yeah the marketing departments are all about viral marketing these days and think that any YouTube is good YouTube. They're basically being lazy and letting others do the work for them at this point. I wouldn't be too happy if I were Nvidia. Though I have heard that some of the small channels actually get loaned the cards for review and then pass them along to the next one.

Largely mitigated as they haven't really "fixed" anything, the driver apparently just limits / reigns in the boost clock. People who have installed it say they now have a lower clock.

It stopped the boost from jumping about so much when it was at temp/power/voltage limit. I’ve gained 100MHz stable overclock with the new driver.

I'm so confused by all this.

I've got a Gigabyte Eagle 3080 OC on its way to me (some time between now and never, seemingly). Am I going to have stability issues if I just use the card within sensible limits? I'm not trying to build a powerhouse gaming rig here, just something that can run my driving and flight sims as nicely as possible.

Meaning, I'm not chasing fps here. That extra 2fps achieved by hitting a magical cooling/voltage profile isn't going to define my world. So whilst I've bought an OC card, this isn't because I want mega performance. I will not be further messing around with OC settings etc.

What I'm asking is: are the issues that people are reporting in relation to pushing the cards and systems to their limits? Or are they crapping out under normal loads?
Don't worry too much. 1 I am yet to see a Gigabyte user with these issues. 2 As Gigabyte pointed out the capacitors they used are of higher quality and capacitance than the industry average. 3 I don't think the issue was ever the capacitors in the first place, I think it was a driver issue from the get go.

Eh? I've seen people say they've higher clocks and better performance as well.
Same here, there's a small but vocal minority saying that the clocks are lower but the majority of users are saying that they are seeing higher clocks now than before. Sounds like a fix to me, not just 'reigning in the clock speeds'.

Just done a quick video to show new drivers are better. (need for speed running in background just ult tab)

Temps have dropped, clock has increased, clock is more stable.

Temps were 70c when gaming for long periods now it's more like 65c
Clocks used to max out at 1965 and now sometimes it's up to 2010
clock used to be up and down even when in ult tab state like this video.

Last edited:
Believe me if my card had been nerfed or had faulty parts I was ready to return and buy a strix.
But the driver fixed everything and made my card better :)

Sweet, I have the sucky Zotac one on Pre-order but I'll just keep it now that it seems things have been largely fixed across AIBs.

Back
Top Bottom